1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The first war

Discussion in 'CivBE - Requests and Ideas' started by Minor Annoyance, Jan 12, 2015.

1. Minor Annoyance

Minor Annoyance Chieftain

Jun 27, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario
    The first war on the planet seems against the lore of the game. When asked why the colonies don't have nuclear weapons which would logically be available from the start, it was said that the this was a peaceful mission so they didn't bring nukes.
    That however goes against what happens in the game where as soon as a new colony lands someone tells me they've become a nuisance and asks me to go to war with them. It made sense in historical civ where you are just one step up from barbarians, and this is the first time they've seen people who weren't of their own tribe.
    In civBE they are starting off civilized and probably don't want to repeat what happened on earth. The end text for conquest is interesting in that now that they've conquered the planet they realize the mistake of earth was not the wars but thinking we could ever live together without one rising to power over others. It should take some time to get to that point though.

So, I would make it so war is not an option to the AI until after they have at least condemned the target. The other colony would have to do something to piss them off enough to call them out to the whole planet first. Afterwards they can declare war but can't ask others to join. The first player to declare war would get a diplomacy penalty which would be cancelled out with each player if they declare war. So basically they will all find war abhorrent until they start doing it themselves. I may have to increase the likelihood of condemnations to get this to happen sooner. I'm not sure I'm remembering correctly but it seems like some leaders rarely condemn and just go straight to war. Could be their deceptiveness trait.

Something else I've considered is a relative warmonger level
    Basically the player with the lowest warmonger points would effectively have 0 warmonger rating. Your effective warmonger rating is your rating minus the warmonger level of the lowest player. They judge you compared to the others on the planet so their has to be a peaceful player for others to be considered warmongers. If everyone is a warmonger then really no one is. If that peaceful player did raise it, then the real result would be a lowering of everyone else's warmonger level. So a war heavy game might actually see less warmonger hate due to everyone accumulating it.
  2. Protagonist

Protagonist Chieftain

Mar 10, 2014
    I actually think the game's AI works pretty well to tell this sort of narrative as-is.
    Conflict in the early game is very rare. I've even played games where well over half the world was mutually allied. It wasn't until we started branching out affinity-wise that there were big conflicts.