1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Football thread Nº7

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by Takhisis, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MCdread

MCdread Couldn't she get drowned?

The rule may be moronic and the card was maybe a bit strict even with said rule in mind, but van Persie should be aware that these things happen.
    (I also seem to remember that Barcelona had a wrongly disallowed goal in the first leg, so it's not like there was a conspiracy to remove Arsenal from the competition)

The way Barcelona sometimes look to only be content with walking the ball into the net is overdone, and there are plenty of occasions where things could have decisively changed. Still I don't think there's any way to look at this tie other than to conclude that overall Barcelona edged it and were the better team over the two legs, is it?

2. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

You're just bitter you won't be playing CL football next season ;)

3. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Really didn't look like conscious time-wasting to me, I think he just hadn't heard or possibly reacted to the whistle. Anyway, the guy's a forward, the instinct has to be shoot at goal unless you're certain that play is stopped (how stupid would he look if it was just a whistle from the crowd rather than from the ref ?).

I agree that the better team won over the two legs, but I'm not sure how relevant that is? And there are definitely other ways of looking at this (though I don't say you have to agree with them) - Arsenal were ahead on the tie, and defending just about well enough, when the sending off occurred. Not robbed, not victims of a conspiracy, but unfairly had the chance of a fair battle taken away from them.

Just out of interest, do you really think the ref would have sent Messi off at the Nou Camp for the exact same offence as van Persie ? :crazyeye:

4. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

I bet Wenger saw that one... funny how he never sees anything when his players blatantly cheat.

5. MCdread

Probably not...
    But the other thing to keep in mind is that van Persie had already put himself in the ref's spotlight in the first half when he kind of slapped Dani Alves iirc (of course he was also grabbed by the throat by Abidal a few minutes earlier, which the ref failed to see). No ref will admit it and it's arguably an incorrect thing to do, but many refs probably have a mental record of which players are "in between" yellow and red and will be more prone to penalize these players for a lesser offense next time...

And like I said, Barça also had a good goal disallowed in the first leg, and that surely didn't harm Arsenal in reaching that position where they just had to defend for most of the second leg.

6. Jos Ballenbak

Jos Ballenbak Zombiehunter, duh.....

Of course you have to consider as well that van persie played a negative roll in the first half. For the referee it could easily been an add up from different things. What i do find disturbing is that van persie gets the yellow card for something this stupid, and messi doesnt receive one for making handball. If the referre is going to be strict, he should do it consequently

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

1. What a horrible decision to send Van Persie off.. man.. I think the ref was just annoyed by what van persie did earlier. bad bad decision

2. Amazing performance by Almunia

3. Horrible giveaway by Fabregas.. what the hell was that?

4. Arsenal looked like crap

8. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Barça did dominate, but not one of their players would have been sent off if he'd done the same. How many times have Messi or Pedro taken a shot after the whistle was blown? C'mon, it was a ridiculous booking.
    cofcofcofLouisSaha'sgoalcofcofcof

9. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

10. Takhisis

Actually the right decision would have been to allow that goal ;). But then we wouldn't have had the Mourinho-hype.

11. LAnkou

LAnkou Breizh A Tao

How many people here dislike Arsenal?

well, maybe because i'm french, i like it (we happend to see only the good things from that team, it seems...) and i'm really mad at the referee...
    How can he do such a thing?

12. Abaddon

Abaddon Deity

I like Arsenal. I like to think they could have held on and have been robbed.

Gah, if they end this season again i'll be rather miffed!

13. Jos Ballenbak

Jos Ballenbak Zombiehunter, duh.....

On the other match: What is wrong with AS Roma, talking about a freefall from last seasons performance

14. sonorakitch

sonorakitch Overseas hunter

Had RVP stayed on, Arsenal I think had an excellent chance. The gunners were up on aggregate, defending well, and still lurking for the counter. Once RVP was sent off, the entire game plan was thrown out the window.

Arsenal proved 3 weeks ago that coming alive in the last 20...at least against Barca...could make the difference.

And all the talk of 0 shots on goal doesn't make any sense. Inter only had one last year (off target). And the talk that "Barcelona completely outplayed Arsenal" doesn't make sense either. Barcelona will outplay ANY team it comes across. In the last two years, I don't remember a time when Barca was outplayed. Even Inter. Doesn't mean we hand them the UEFA trophy now. They still have to actually win, something that I think was gifted yesterday.

15. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

I tend to be convinced when Barcelona has possession for 70% plus of the time, the two Arsenal centre backs are booked after twenty minutes, Arsenal had zero attempts on goal (thats not fair, they had two, one of which resulted in a sending off and the other was done by Busquets...) and Barcelona are constantly in possession at the edge of the box.

Yeah I guess, the game wasn't so much in the bag as a massive injustice. How a team could dominate that much and lose is just football I guess.

Yeah I agree there was no basis in my opinion.

Yeah I totally agree, he got kicked in the face twice too!

16. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I agree.. I mean, I think there was still a 70%+ change that Barcelona made it through anyway, but with RVP red carded, that 70 became a 95.

Remember that chance Arsenal had in the last 15 minutes of play or so? (I can't remember exactly when now). Wilshere and Bendtner had a bit of a breakaway.. Wilshere centers the ball ofr Bendter, and Bendtner's first touch puts the ball out of his reach. Van Persie has a much better touch than Bendtner, he would have had a much better chance in controlling that ball if that was him.. or maybe even taking a first-time shot.

And yeah, it's easy to talk about "what ifs" but that red card did change the game. a lot.. even though Barca was dominating anyway

17. MCdread

Inter and Chelsea sort of outplayed Barcelona at home. Not in Barça's way, but in their own way I'd say.

I didn't really see Arsenal lurking much on counter-attacks.
    Another way to look at it is that they way Arsenal approached the game (or the way they were forced to play it by Barça's superior pressing), they were basically counting on almost everything going in their favour (that Barcelona would be missing a bunch of chances, getting a fluke own goal, and even having the better of a few of the ref's decisions earlier in the tie). It's a legitimate approach and could have worked, but it might also crumble badly when some key decision or passage of play goes against them. I think it's a bit precious to then complain so loudly about an injustice when the entire strategy was to cut such a fine line.

18. Takhisis

What, they won't end the season this year? Are they in as much debt as Man Urited?

19. Lambert Simnel

Lambert Simnel One across

Ah, c'mon MCdread, this is pure straw man. This might have been, in some realm or another, "a legitimate approach", but was almost certainly not Arsenal's approach. Are you really suggesting that Wenger said "we beat them 2-1 at home. Here, let's count 'on almost everything going in our favour, Barcelona missing a bunch of chances [and us] getting a fluke own goal..." etc. ? Of course he didn't. That wasn't their strategy/approach.

Were Barcelona the "more deserving" team over the two legs? Sure, no question.
    Would Arsenal have held out if the ludicrous red card decision not been given? Quite likely. Regardless of how pretty Barcelona are to watch, I really can't see it's fair to describe complaining about that sending off as "precious" based on your presumed (not their) strategy).

C'mon, when did you of all people become a Barcelona fan-boy? ;)

20. Takhisis

You're forgetting the penatly Barça didn't get and Messi's disallowed goal in Lunnon, Lambert.

On other news: Maradona would apparently be signing as Ukraine's coach probably next week :eek: