The Forest

Robert Can't

Éponine
Edit: For those of you who in future years discover this thread bouncing around in this sub-forum without context that is because it was removed from its context by a moderator action. In light of this please do not ask me to justify this thread or story in its existence for out here it means nothing.

August is awake again. The long walk in The Forest was over and all that's left is his guilt dragging him slowly back to the old city. The wind comes down from the north and the scent of ash it carries catches in August's nose. His legacy, his ash. August doesn't want to come back, there are ghosts in the city - both real and imagined. However he knows that his conscience will haunt him more than any real of imagined ghost ever could.

A road leads out of The Forest. It is a dark grey like the sky and the land around it. Once upon a time it was new and black, lines in bright yellow marked out its laws, now all that is faded - grey. It is a long climb up to the old city from here but August knows this road of old, he walked it many times before the fall. There is a branch coming up - a choice. The options are clear before him, in the distance to the north he can already see the ruined pagodas of the old city poking over the horizon. To the east there is a light, he can almost hear the song and laughter. Perhaps it could be one last stop, one last moment of warmth, before he finishes the long walk.

(A) Go North: The city awaits, its time to end the long walk.
(B) Go East: For one last moment of happiness.

Spoiler :

Not a serious CYOA, I only post here because its definitely not worth its own thread. Just an idea I had in the shower.

Last edited:
I vote B because I'm a weeb.

As August moves onward he draws close to the branch in the road. He can hear the laughter more plainly now. Its the sounds of a people that chose to ignore the fall, those who chose to flee not to somewhere else but to something else. Even if they do not choose to help him he is sure that the spirits of the ruined city would not begrudge him for one last friendly conversation.

He sets off down the eastern branch, the forest falling away out of sight.

Down in the valley their lies a circle of pillars in brilliant white. A light shines from the centre of the circle, that is where they have hidden. In their own little paradise that was safe from the fall. As August gets closer he sees colour. The sky is not grey here - it is violet, orange and blue - the grass and heather are not barren and the air is filled with pleasant sounds.

A man, old and weary, stands guard at the circle. His spear is propped up against one of the pillars. He has not needed it in a long time. As August approaches recognition begins to spread into his dark features. "You have come back."

"Joseph," August greets him and the two embrace "I have ended the long walk."

Joseph nods and glances in the direction of the old city. "You plan to go back there don't you?"

"It is my duty." August replies.

"Even here with an old friend the guilt still weighs on you August." Joseph's voice is comforting, welcoming "You should lay down your burden."

"Its all I have left."

"You killed the Old Gods August, that's all. You don't owe them anything." The humming of chatter and friendship from the circle grows louder "You can stay here. I can take the guilt away. Within the circle lies paradise - freedom. Its freedom for all from anything, even for you."

(A) "Your freedom was always a lie, I reject it wholly." - You reject the very notion of paradise
(B) "Even if its true, I owe it to the city." - You can not give up on the mission
(C) Lay Down Your Burdens - You have roamed for too long, take your place in paradise

Spoiler :

Spoiler Achievement Log :

Last edited:
B, because the middle option is always correct

A, the lies are just that, lies.

if we don't bear this cross then no one will and we just can't have that can we

B. While perhaps paradise would be a wonderful alternative to returning to the City, we must complete the Mission before doing any such thing. Perhaps later if all else is lost, we could retreat here and join this paradise...?

"Even if its true, I owe it to the city. I must return and set things right." August does not even think of budging from his task, not that he really understands what the task is yet, but he knows he must reach the city and fix the mess that he created.

Behind him he hears a sigh on the wind. Twisting round he spots a figure walking away from the valley over the brow of the hill. Its something chilling, someone from before. It could have been a spirit - it was grey like all spirits are, as grey as the real world - but August knows better. It was Her, killed by the Yellow Queen, now doomed to haunt August's conscience. She'd followed him all through the Long Walk and all the way back and now Joseph thought to ask him to leave her by the side of the road - he can not do that.

"What did you see?" Asks the ageing hoplite.

"I have to go." August answers coldly. The brief allure of paradise fully worn off now.

With a concerned tone in his voice Joseph responds "August, I am your friend and I have been since before the fall. Tell me, what did you see?"

(A) "The Yellow Queen and her Angels" - A lie might let you off the hook
(B) "It was Her." - A moment of truth between old friends
(C) Walk away saying nothing - Leave the old hoplite to his paradise

You have made a commitment to The City.

Spoiler :

Spoiler Achievement Log :

Last edited:
B): Having someone we can trust and who can trust us is always a good thing, and truthfully, the old hoplite is not one to betray us, is he?

"It was Her." No lies now, no deceit. Joseph had been there since the beginning, when they had sat together on those sunny beaches - everything innocent and free. August knows the old hoplite, he trusts him more than anyone else who might be alive in this world.

Joseph returns the trust with a steely look in his eyes. "She's dead August."

August turns away from the old man, pain in his face.

"You can't being her back, not with your whole arsenal of tricks."

August begins to walk, grief overcoming him.

"Don't do this August, leave her here on the hillside. Within the circle you are free."

August walks on. He leaves some tears in the dirt track, but by the time he reaches the tarmac he is filled with determination. The city is out there and he has to save it - for Her sake.

"She's dead August - please think about yourself. You don't need to carry this burden!" A cry comes from far away now.

August does not turn back.

"You could be free!"

August walks back to the road. He thinks on the excursion - was it a waste? No! Now his resolve is strengthened. Those who left for paradise abandoned this world. August would not.

Upon reaching the main road again he turns north to The City. From that direction he hears the howl of a wild animal. The sun is setting and he must rest soon. He spots a roadside shrine in the distance. He could take shelter in there if he beings an offering to the gods or he could camp out on the road. Being on the road brings its own difficulties though - the grey spirits roam this land.

(A) Take shelter off the road - Avoid the machinations of curious spirits
(B) Make an offering to the Gods - You may have slain the old gods but he new ones may still answer your prayers
(C) Camp on the road - The spirits are not all evil

Spoiler :

Spoiler Achievements Log :

Last edited:
D: the spirits are clearly friends: invite them over for tea and biscuits!

August proceeds towards the small temple, the far of cries of the wolves not perturbing him in the slightest. Once upon a time he had walked this road south after slaying the old gods. He had built a new pantheon for the city, now for the most part they too lie dead at the feet of the Yellow Queen. They still answered prayers though and even a small shrine like this was place enough to conduct some small rite.

He walks through the archway and sees the symbols of the old gods etched on the walls - crossed sabres, the knife and fang, the great helm. They would be of no help to him. Further in were the signs of the new gods - many of them too were gone now. The Great White Bear had not been seen in decades and The Oracle, well he had seen him die.

August had created many of these gods - raised them from the peoples of the city. Now in this shrine he could call upon them to return the favour, a simple offering to show his devotion.

(A) A knife and cheese - An offering for your scion
(B) A secret - Pray for the spirits of the world
(C) Dried leaves and a folded map - Pray to bring life back to the world
(D) Batteries - The new gods always had a sense of irony
(E) Tobacco - Pray for the stories of a new world
(F) Laughter - For the Green Princess
(G) A helm and dice - Not all the old gods are dead

Spoiler :

Yeah yeah August is in the shrine now - deal with it
Spoiler Achievements Log :

Top Bottom