1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Forum Games Catalogue/Information Thread

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Catharsis, Aug 30, 2008.

1. LightFang

LightFang "I'm the hero!"

I personally am not a fan of random chance.

2. Bad Player

Bad Player Deity

Fair enough, I will probably remove the random night kills. I want a mechanism that makes it in the interest of innocents to try and lynch mafia rather than doing nothing each day (mafia night kills are this mechanism normally).

3. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Just make it compulsory for someone to be lynched. Remove the ability of innocents to lynch nobody. Compulsory voting, no abstentions allowed, etc.

4. Bad Player

Bad Player Deity

Yeah that's the default but I'd like a real reason why they should lynch someone if possible. I think it would be more fun and add flavour to the storyline.

5. Camikaze

Because otherwise the mafia will a much stronger voice and will be able to kill everyone through the lynches?

Maybe have a story line based on a political battle or something. The evil communazis have infiltrated the party room and want their candidate to be the last man standing. The other side have to stop them. One person is removed each round, and the aim is for the innocents to prevent the evil communazis from taking over the political branch. Or something.

6. Bad Player

Bad Player Deity

How about the retirement village is set on the island of Sicily. The mafiosa, after a lifetime of hard work, have much wealth whereas innocents have little wealth. The first 5 people who vote to lynch (not spamming everyone's name at the start of each day!!!) someone (mafia or innocent) divide up the money for themselves.

There are no night phases, only day phases. After a lynch (or whatever method of killing someone...) the clock fast-forwards to the next day (ie pretend you went to bed and got up again). I think this is necessary since without night kills, the game would go at half the speed.

Money can be used to:
    1) (Anonomously) pay off the retirement village staff to keep someone in their room that day (ie no vote that day)
    2) Bribe other people
    3) (Anonomously) buy expressos all round (ie the runner-up vote choice is also lynched)
    4) Hire a private eye (tells you if target has a large, medium, or small amount of money left, takes 1 day).
    5) Order Pizzas! (Order pizza for everyone anonomously (you can claim to everyone that it's yours) and if you are mafia, you can choose to poison the pizza. Anyone who eats good pizza gains +1 strength point, anyone who eats a poisoned batch of pizza dies. You can only eat 2 pizzas per day.) more info
    6) Hire bodyguard. Pay to be protected against being lynched the following day. This is public. It does not protect against being poisoned.

Main Goal: Survival
    Team Goal: Your team (mafia or innocent win)
    Personal Goal: Each person has a personal goal in their role PM
    Financial Goal: To have the most money at the end of the game

EDIT: Toying with the idea that everyone has a personal weakness - examples could be alcohol, chocolate, pepporoni pizza, lust, intimidated by something, etc... Money could be spent purchasing a temptation and presenting it to someone. If that happens to be their personal weakness then they have to vote for a nominated person. This is done anonomously via the GM (person A pays $100 for chocolates to be sent to person B by PMing the GM and notifying him of the required vote, person C. The GM notifies person B that they received chocolates and if that is person B's weakness then they have to vote for person C.) PROBABLY WON'T DO THIS IDEA UNLESS PPL ASK FOR IT.

7. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

I'd like to host a Mini-Mafia game starting around April 1st. ;)

8. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

Great sounds fun TLO. Will prolly join.

9. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

It will be a Mini-mafia Game, to give me a test of how hosting a game is, incase I would like to host a big one in the future. I want to make some twists in it, including a concept from Roll to Dodge. (The Dice roll obviously. :))

I will plan out the player roles and start the signups on March 15th. :)

10. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Ok, I started work, and actually planning out the game and making the roles only takes around 3 hours for a game this small. (I plan 16 people) Only thing left to do is balance things a bit more, and do a little testing and I think it is ready.

I have no intention of starting the game at the start of April, much to late.

I do realize though that there are plenty of mafia games going on at the same time, so I will make the thread in the next few days for sign up's and begin the game after Camikaze's NOTW finishes, if there are no problems with that.

11. Zack

Zack 99% hot gas

I think we should just keep with 2 Mafia games at a time (one big, one small). So if yours is small, 16 people you said, then start yours after Pick Your Poison finishes.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis Jinping, wer fragt uns?

Which, as they've already lynched the buletproof townie (me) then will end quickly.

13. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

The problem with this is it benefits people who are in certain time zones and can be on right around when the update starts, then just immediately come up with a random reason to vote.

14. Bad Player

Bad Player Deity

Good point, how about the first 5 people to put their first vote onto the person who gets lynched? Would that nearly remove the time zone advantage do you think?

Other feedback on the ideas would be appreciated a lot please.

15. TheLastOne36

TheLastOne36 Deity

Right, so i'll wait till Pick Your Poison finishes as well as LOTR Mafia. I personally think that LOTR is draining alot of peoples energy. :lol:

16. Catharsis

Catharsis catch u on the flip scythe

The LotR mafia players now all look like this:

Spoiler :

17. Camikaze

Eh, I would've thought it's more like this:
    Spoiler :

18. Backwards Logic

Backwards Logic Emperor Palpatine

Encourages bandwagoning even worse than already. There's now incentive not to change one's vote against someone no matter what the in-game evidence says. So once a bandwagon forms, it's now virtually impossible to get those votes removed since now they're being compensated for it.

My theory on the whole forcing people to vote is if the innocents/townies don't vote, they're only helping the wolves/mafia blend in. THAT should be all the incentive the innocent group needs to vote. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot by not voting, pffft, not the mafia's problem.

19. Bad Player

Bad Player Deity

OK good point and thanks for the feedback. Can you think of any way to divide up the money from someone's lynch (even innocents have a small amount of money to start with)? If I divide it up with EVERYONE who votes for the lynchee then as soon as someone looks like they will be lynched, then everyone will jump on the bandwagon to get some $$! (maybe if innocent then you pay a fine????)

Anyway, I would like to host the next mafia game, I'll wait for the mini-mafia game to be almost to the end before starting. Also, I'd like some narrators (will use dead ppl too). The style would be light-hearted and a little humorous (they are retired mafia killing because someone cheated in a scrabble game or something).

20. Earthling

Earthling Deity

How many players? Is this mini-Mafia-ish or larger? I'm of course on ongoing signups for my game but we don't have enough players yet; that said I don't have a particular hurry but I don't if you need a big game/lots of players you'd get them any faster. Don't think running mine in parallel with any others hurts me as far as I'm concerned of course but just the heads up; we really have so many games getting out there now, a real blooming of spring spirit or something.