The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Thanks for that. :D

As someone who has played both engines extensively I can say that it is a hotly debated subject. The are essentially the same engine in the way they work, but both have merits and demerits when compared. The general view is split, though tends toward Rome rather than Medieval 2. Medieval 2 gave us some better building graphics, but the additional wall levels etc. have created more game-breaking pathing issues with the AI. This is a real problem and cannot be modded away.

Many people prefer the cleaner graphics of RTW and the better unit cohesion. With RTW environments now becoming, to be blunt, stunning, as well as new buildings being created, the modded RTW engine - in my view - makes for a much better gaming experience.

But Medieval 2 is also a very good game.

Third Age, and other full-conversion M2 mods, are also still a long way off from being completed (as it takes some years to get a full-conversion done). FATW will be finished this year. The first Middle-earth mod to be completed for the TW series (in fact, for any other engine as far as I know). We think it will cause a few jaws to drop ;)

Looks very nice, but I wished that it was a M2TW mod not an RTW mod, since I love the natural landscape of M2TW. However, this matters little, it's the gameplay that matters.

To each their own, but I prefer FATW. The art direction seems more unified and the Gondorian units are just beautiful.
@sendos: I've found the RTW landscapes have help up very well and with the landscape work seen in the previews, it look as good if not better then MTW2.

@sendos: I've found the RTW landscapes have help up very well and with the landscape work seen in the previews, it look as good if not better then MTW2.

RTW landscapes are filled with endless plains and trees spaced out from each other, as well as lack significant detail on terrain involving cliffs. Architecture is good though, such as the Roman architecture, though I doubt that there would be triumphal archs everywhere. In the FATW preview, they've managed to manipulate the landscape as if it was a video of an ancient wonder in RTW. By that I mean the atmosphere, the tourists and the layout around the wonder. In the preview, they show the layout of human life in FATW: the farms, the roads, the soldiers...it is very nicely done. :goodjob:

With M2TW, they show a lot more vegetation, terrain, cliffs and a bit more detail with architecture. The graphics are also better without a doubt. For example, have a look at the cities and castles in M2TW. You'll see cliffs surrounding some of the towns and castles. It adds a more realistic flavour that RTW lacks. It's good to exploit natural defences from time to time as well. RTW landscapes are better for older computers though.

However, since this mod seems more suitable to the RTW mod and since RTW is compatible with most computers, the RTW landscape is indeed better...for now. :p
I just like to see a bit more detail ever since I played M2TW. :mischief:

For me, I prefer the RTW landscape as it seems more realistic then the MTW2 landscape. Yes, you can get more dramatic landscape in MTW2, but how often did armies actualy fight on the side of sheer cliffs?

The Fourth Age Development Team have released the complete, full version of The Dominion of Men, the long-awaited final instalment of the multi-award-winning series.

The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men is a mod for Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion that brings Tolkien's Middle-earth to the game, bursting at the seams with innovative gameplay features, splendid visuals and audio, beautiful textual descriptions and mind-boggling attention to detail, and described by TWC's official reviewer as...

"awesome... the best mod of Barbarian Invasion that I've ever seen. Almost everything in the mod uses the Rome engine to the fullest of its capabilities, [and] the story is beautifully incorporated."

So take the opportunity to experience an exciting campaign inspired by Tolkien's unfinished manuscript, The New Shadow, and savour the taste of the true spirit of Middle-earth in this lore-accurate iteration of Tolkien's world!

Visit Website & Watch Video Review

Download Here!

Top Bottom