1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The French Revolution

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Fippy, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Louis XIV, The Great Sun King of France is staring outside one of the windows in his Palace rooms.
    Looking at the ruins of Orleans, burned down by an angry mob.
    Revolution has broken out. Well planned and quickly executed.

He should have forseen this happening, but has done nothing.
    In his pride, he did not think something like that could happen..

With a deep sigh, he turns around as somebody knocks on the door.
    It's his palace guard captain, and as expected he brings more bad news.
    "Your Majesty, Le Havre is calling for aid. They are surrounded by mounted Revolutionaries."

Louis stares at him. "We have nothing available here. Give orders that our population shall hide until help arrives, and abandon the city.".
    Very well..

Louis goes back to his window.
    Aramis..he thinks. You are our only hope now.
    He was sent to explore the frozen lands, and must have heared what has happened by now.
    You can only hope that he will board his ship in hurry, and sail towards Le Havre.

In deep thoughts again, Louis also knows about their problems with Ragnar the Drunk.
    The troublesome Vikings have found ways thru the ice and snow.
    We must regain control quickly and rebuild our Empire, or they will surely make use of this Revolution.

Chancellor Bismarck of Germany, and Queen Isabella of Spain have expressed sympathy.
    But can you trust them..and then there's also Shaka the Wild.
    As his name suggests, you never know what he has in mind..for now he seems calm.
    But that can change at any time.

Welcome to another hand-made story driven map :)
    Can you bring our Sun King his former glory back?
    Here's your start:
    Spoiler :

Le Havre:
    Spoiler :

Aramis with plenty company in the Ice:
    Spoiler :

As you can see, AIs have 3 cities already.
    You start with 2..in theory ;)

That's cos we want some good competition, but do not worry i tried making this map fair :)
    Buut..you can be my playtesters, and i would be grateful for any feedback.

Revolution units (barbs) can attack if they are mounted, but some have scouting scripts too and are not likely to attack.
    If they are not mounted, they are stationary and are no danger besides blocking ways.

I made saves for Monarch to Deity difficulty on normal speed, with adjusted techs for barbs & AIs for each level. So you can play those without doing changes (known from Nobles Club, adding Archery and stuff).
    Also adding the wb save, if you want other diffs or speeds you can set up your own game :)
    Have fun!

Attached Files:

Pangaea likes this.
  2. RedKi-rr

RedKi-rr Prince

Thank you for starting it. :) I guess I will try it.

Also, by some reason I cannot see the pictures. :mischief:

3. Metaslab

Metaslab Chieftain

Hey Fippy, thanks for putting this together! I played it over the weekend and enjoyed it immensely :D

Used the WB save, because I like playing with BAT, and then set up an Immortal game, normal speed, NHNE, in the time-honoured Nobles' Club manner. I'd say it was a challenge, but the setup allowed plenty of opportunity to get back into the game. Really like the opening moves, that sense of having a mission to complete.

Spoiler :
    Aramis started heading towards the galley, and found a barb worker waiting to join the glorious French republic. They picked up a scout from a hut along the way, but missed out on the hut next to the galley's starting position (I replayed the opening turns after finishing the game and it seems it wasn't possible to get there first due to Shaka's Impi's mobility promo). First settler went at the very bottom-right of Paris' peninsula once I realised that the culture spread would be necessary to allow Aramis to get over there in the galley and deal with a barb city that spawned NW of Paris.

Retaking Le Havre was easy ... and what do you know, it already has a lighthouse, and I'm IND on a watery map ... what does that suggest? :think:

Le Havre built a settler after the GLH, or possibly whipped a settler onto the GLH, can't remember. That went south to claim the marble, and there's stone not too far from Paris. So now I'm IND with access to both of the main wonder resources. Mids went into Paris. Rep-scientists plus GLH meant that my tech rate started going crazy once the cities had grown a bit, but it still took a long time to start overtaking the AI in score due to their 3-city starts.

I took out the revolutionary guard on the chokepoint (these were also a nice touch) between France, Spain and Zululand fairly early, softening him up with two chariots before finishing him with Aramis. This turned out to be a good move. Shaka DoWed Izzy and I joined in, taking two cities very cheaply by nestling my small stack alongside his much bigger one and swooping in after he'd weakened the defenders. Cheesy, moi? :rolleyes:

He declared peace soon after, having suicided his units against one of her remainnig cities. I took two more before taking peace for Theo.

While this was going on I was enjoying a triple MoM-powered GA (Music artist, Taj built by a low-odds GE from the Mids GPP, then a GS/GM combo, Also got another GM for upgrading HAs to cuirs after Lib-->MT.) Redeclared on Izzy as soon as the treaty was over. She was ready to cap quickly, but I took a couple more cities while waiting for a treaty with Shaka (from begging, he was +5 from shared war) to end. Wiped him with cuirs, then upgraded to cavs for Ragnar, who also capped quickly. Bizzy had rifling by the time I got to him, and quite a few grens, but I had overwhelming numbers. Added airships to the mix right at the end. He, like Shaka, was resistant to capping for a while. He was 3T off infantry at the end.

Finished with a conquest victory in 1380AD, score 399680. Could have been a lot quicker, no doubt - this was my first game for a few months, so a bit rusty and sloppy in my play.

4. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Ty for your report Meta, glad you enjoyed playing :)

Yup it's not an overly difficult map, mainly cos i started building it for deity (can be hard there i think, from playtesting).
    Then thought it's much better making all diffs playable.

Biggest challenge for me was being patient after creating the opening moves (our mission ;)), for my next one i have to think of possibilities how we could maybe extend that mission feeling into late game :)

5. RedKi-rr

RedKi-rr Prince

Fippy, is it possible to open the saves in vanilla BTS?...:)

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

My provided a WB save, which can be played any way you like. Just make sure you add in the appropriate barb techs for the level you are playing..like Noble's Club.

7. ChocoGwaja

ChocoGwaja Chieftain

Ooooh... a map generated by none other than... Fippy!

Since my participation was probably not expected, (No guarantees I will but... :)) I am betting this map is not an evil one, hence I may have a chance? Just really rusty though.

8. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

It's not an evil map, but a good spirited mission ;)
    Being rusty, you might scratch your head at some of the stuff i did put in thou lol ~~

Redki, did you have problems opening the other saves?

9. RedKi-rr

RedKi-rr Prince

Oh, I see...Thanks a lot! I have never bothered with WB saves. So, tried and I can enter WB and load the WB save. It works. However, I cannot open usual saves since it requires BUG mod. Also I cannot open Choco's save from the neighbor thread since it requires BAT mod. However, Lains' saves and floydmcws' saves are opened normally.

So...What techs should I add to barbs if I want play Deity? I beleive it is Archery and Wheel. Please correct me if I am wrong.
    Not sure I can handle it at Deity since it doesn't look like standard Deity games. But it could be a good practice. Also the size reminds Inland Sea map. Something like 52x32. Is it?...

10. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Barb techs for deity are: wheel, agri, hunting & archery.

Immortal: Agri, hunting & archery

Emp: hunting & archery

Monarch: only archery ;) bit strange, but i checked by starting random games for all diffs.