1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Fall from Heaven

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Kael, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Bootsiuv

Bootsiuv Prince

I'll buy it.

Kael, out of curiosity, what do you do for a living? I just find it interesting that a mod for Civ IV may have opened up an entire new career for you. You could be a millionaire one day(if you aren't already of course), and it all started from a game mod on a public forum.

Kudos to you, bra. :)

2. Azhral

Azhral Let's get Tactical!

Kael is actually Barack Obama

3. HadesScorn

HadesScorn Warlord

*gasp*

Well, crap. Guess I need to switch parties now.

4. tharg

tharg Warlord

Hope its not StarForce based.

[rant]
    I just vowed to only ever install pirated versions of Starforce protected games, after frying both hard disks trying to installing chaos league SD. Had to spend a couple of days reinstalling the operating system and other stuff.
    [/rant]

5. deanej

deanej Deity

Or you could run games in a sandbox. That way, the DRM won't infect your computer.

6. Nikis-Knight

Nikis-Knight Deity

Kael has a job as a system administrator; I'm not sure what it does, but it is apparently perfect for having modding as a hobby. ;)
    Also, There are a few big names in the game-making business, but I don't expect there are more than a very few millionaires.
    As a former GM, I'm sure it brings Kael a certain satisfaction having so many people get hopelessly, wonderfully lost in his world.

7. Kael

Kael Deity

The short version is that I work for a software company (not games).

The long version is that I'm assigned a few customers (banks and government mostly) and it's my responsibility to make sure those companies run our products smoothly. I specialize in directory products (security, ldap, authentication, authorization, identity provisioning, etc). I work form home most days with 1-3 days a week onsite at one of my customers.

But yes, FfH has definitely changed my life and no one is more amazed about by that than I am.

8. blueparrot1966

blueparrot1966 Chieftain

More power to you, and to the team, Kael. It always makes me smile when "non professional" modders have a hit, and a labor of love turns into a professional/money making opportunity.

(Especially when their product beats the pants off of commercial stuff I've paid good money for!)

9. Freesmog

Freesmog Skeptic1938222569

Assuming the new version will be similar to the current one, what is the possibility of making it a new kind of game, such as a MMO or FPS? I've been thinking how to make a new MMO that isn't bailed out by FDIC, or lack thereof.

10. Grey Fox

Grey Fox Master of Points

I think the chances that its going to be a new kind of game is greater than the chances of it being the same.

11. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Emperor

I hope not.

12. Valkrionn

Valkrionn The Hamster King

Why? You still have FfH2, after all. Personally, I want to see what Kael comes up with here. :lol:

13. deanej

deanej Deity

Some of us would like to see a FFH2 that isn't affected by the limitations of civ4.

14. hbar

hbar Constant

And some of us would like to play KOTOR II without gamebreaking bugs and a real ending, but it ain't gonna happen.

When a game is finished, it's done. If the devs keep going back to refine what wasn't perfect, they would never come up with anything new. I'm excited to play both Civ V and FfH 3, and it's not because I think they'll be exactly like their predecessors with shinier graphics. If I was into that, I'd play Madden :lol:

15. Valkrionn

I could not have said it better. :goodjob:

16. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

I still want something Kinda like Mount n Blade :(

(with its FFH twist of course)

17. Broken Hawk

Broken Hawk Emperor

I admit I would like to see what Kael comes up with also. But I prefer TBS over, say, RTS because I am disabled. More to the point, my user interface doesn't allow me to keep up with anything requiring quick moves. Maybe I'll have to look for a more advanced way to access my computer...:rolleyes:

18. Valkrionn

I prefer turn based as well, simply because it is more strategic.

Been playing the SC2 beta, and it's not even much fun atm; Everything is rush rush rush, which I hate. Sure, I can win (been playing StarCraft for many years now. :p), but it's annoying to HAVE to rush.

19. Freesmog

Freesmog Skeptic1938222569

I'd like to see a new game, obviously, that isn't rushed whatever the cost. a MMO could cost 100 million, but a new FFH3 could be around 5 or 10 million?

20. Sifaus

Sifaus Adramelech

No, mmo's not costs 100 million. There is nothing different about making a normal game. Unless, you need to buy a strong server. But they are not that expensive.