1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The future of Kazakhstan - City 10, 11 and Beyond

Discussion in 'Team Kazakhstan' started by Sommerswerd, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

I have included some screenshots to help us decide what do do about our bottle neck situation. I recommend that we start thinking outside of the box. We don't have to halt all expansion just because SANCTA has capped the bottleneck.

There is still plenty of open land. We can build some cities in some unconventional locations and possibly get ourselves out of this rut, even BEFORE we launch another war.

Here are some nearby spots where we should think about dropping cities. Remember, we are in a corner... This situation calls for bold actions/strategies... We are bottled up, we have to look outside the Altai mountains/ SyrDarya valley for new cities.

I will use these screenies to propose some suggested city sites but I thought folks might want to have a look at the blank maps first.

Attached Files:

2. mikotian

mikotian Warlord

hm interesting subject. I don't know if it would be smart to build a city right smack INSIDE Sancta lands, but it might be interesting to take some land W of the bottleneck between Sancta and Cav. I dunno.

3. Sommerswerd

I think we can expand West of the Mountain Range into the mountain pass West of TKY.

We could probably get SANCTA to give us Open Borders if we sweet talk them. Maybe even build a connecting road through their lands. That way, we would be able to found a city faster.

I put a possible location in White, with alternate sites in Green (depending on how close we want to be to TKY, how many flood plains we want the city to have, how close we want to be to Yaoi, etc.) This location would be a real powerhouse city, with flood plains, grasslands, hills, sheep, in a good strategic location, etc., We should not miss this chance to get back in the game:D

I also mapped out possible locations for city 12. We should found another city west of the mountains, south of the flood plains city, to strengthen our position (and claim the silk resource :goodjob:) We can either found it farther inland and road to the nearest Cavalieros city to connect it to the trade network (use irrigation spreading to get farms) or build it on the coast next to the river (this will create a little tension with Cavalieros b/c it is right against their border.)

(See the map in the spoiler below)
    Spoiler :

4. Sommerswerd

Now that Cavalieros are aware that we are eyeing the land West of the Mountains, we really need to hurry and found our citys there... Maybe even before the Whal/Gold location since that location is secure.

I don't want them to have time to spam a city in that Mountain pass before we get there... We desperately need that city location. Mayge we should move the Galley and a defensive unit into place to ferry our currently-building settler over there... With or without Cavalieros permission.

5. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Cities west of the mountains aren't a good idea in my opinion. A silk city would easily fall to CAV when we do fight them. And a sheep city in the pass would be cut off from us by TKY and would vulnerable to SANCTA and CAV. We don't want isolated cities which we would certainly loose.

And founding anywhere over there without CAVs consent would be a major provocation. It would only make sense if we flipped alliances and SANCTA became trustworthy allies. Since SANCTA doesn't seem willing to give us TKY as a sign of good faith I doubt such a game changing alliance shift will ever take place. (It's transparent you are pushing for this btw Sommers ;) )

I don't think we should found any new cities (for a while anyways) after city 10. Cities 11-14 should be SANCTA cities that we take. We should attack and seize Phoenix Mountain and Orchid Oolong, cutting off the TKY cities. We then raze Zero and take TKY and Dragon Tears.

6. Kaleb

Kaleb Deity

I think we have buit a many cities peacefuly as we can now. Out geography is such that we are bottled in sadly.

Focus should be on breaking out and taking land from SANCTA.

Interesting that their easter frontier is so poorly defended!! We shoud put the spy on that forest just outside of their border so it can see the front line but can't be captured.

A longbow on the city is going to be hard to take down though. Even the axe on the hill may need us to lose a unit to kill and land our troops. So we'll need quite a few units. we can plan to launch an invasion on T133 when our 'ceasefire' runs out.

7. mikotian

mikotian Warlord

We don't need OB with sancta to build cities over there. We can land a settler on the coast but it would take a long time.

Worrying about confrontation with Cav right now is premature. If we don't get out of our trap, Cav will crush us anyway.

But, if possible, taking the Sancta cities to our north should have a greater claim on our resources. Also, if we take TKY et al we should be able to build more cities in the valley that are actually linked to our homeland by roads!

8. Sommerswerd

War with Cavalieros is waaaay off. By the time we fight Cavalieros, SANCTA will be dead, TKY will be ours, and those western cities will no longer be cut off.

The city will not be cut off if we:
    1. Get OB with SANCTA and road through TKY, or;
    2. Road to Yaoi (or the nearest Cavalieros City), which will connect the city to our trade/resources.

Provoke them into doing what ?!?:confused: Attacking Us?!? Yeah right!

They would never attack our cities, no matter how provocatively we place them! They know that we would have no choice but to join SANCTA if they attacked us... Right?

Aren't you tired of being bullied, manipulated and pushed around by Cavalieros? :pat: Founding those Western cities is the best way to really drive home the issue that they need to help us fight SANCTA, or prepare for us to start expanding... AT THEIR EXPENSE.

You said it, not me...:p Don't even try to make this seem like my idea.;) You have suggested doing this sooooo many times. Nice try though :goodjob:...

I smell another great Cavscout/Sommers fight a'brewin.

That would be suicide, IMO. Our rivals (including Cavalieros) are expanding. We must expand as well or... how did you put it Cavscout? Wither and die... :suicide:

9. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

Update- CAV has already built a sheep city in the pass. They have 17 cities now.

And as far as switching sides- I didn't mean to put words in your mouth Sommers! :lol: It just seemed that the logical outcome of what you are proposing would 1.) put us at odds with CAV and 2.) be untenable unless we switch sides.

Incidently- if we want to switch sides now is the time to do it! Based on my gut feeling about CAV I would do it if SANCTA lets us raze Zero and gifts us TKY. Should I put out feelers to Memphus about this?

10. Sommerswerd

I say go ahead and put it out there... The more info we have on what SANCTA wants, the better.

Also, SANCTA may relax even more on military production if they think that an alliance with us is imminent.

11. Sommerswerd

The city in the pass near TKY should definitely be one of the cities they gift us...

If they have 17 cities and we have 9, they should be giving us at least 4 cities. That way, we will have 13 cities, and they will have 13 cities. Nice and balanced... right?

Maybe we can spell this out in the proposal to Cavalieros.

12. Kaleb

Kaleb Deity

I don't see there being any space to expand westwards. what we need to do is focus on having a city-sharing agreement with Cav after SANCTA are down and out. If we do that, then it's actually best to let Cav be the ones to build the cities and develop them so our maintenance is low and we can focus on staying at 100% tech rate to get the most value out of our tech multipliers.

13. Sommerswerd

Just a small point... When you say "our tech multipliers", are you talking about the library in Haz and the Great Library? Or are you talking about our Leader trait?

Cause our leader trait is not necessarily a :science: multiplier... right? It's a :commerce: multiplier that we have been leveraging for tech... as opposed to a large army or REX or Sprawl (as Cavalieros and SANCTA have done). Or am I off base?

14. Kaleb

Kaleb Deity

I'm talking about our 2 academies mainly, where we have cities that already have a good base :commerce: which is also boosted by our financial trait :)

15. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

we re 2 turns away from founding our 10th city. Which spot will it be?

I suggest settle on gold

16. Kaleb

Kaleb Deity

I agree, spot on the Gold.

17. Sommerswerd

I disagree... Why ON the gold instead of NEXT TO or NEAR it? Won't that make us miss out on the :commerce: bonus we get from Gold?

18. cav scout

cav scout The Continuum

I would still like it next to the gold instead of on it.

19. Indiansmoke

Indiansmoke Deity

because this is is of low food, we will not be able to work the gold for ages and by settling on the gold we have more tiles to work so when we finnaly grow the extra tiles will make up for the gold.

20. damnrunner

damnrunner Emperor

On the gold is my choice.