The Gaia War

The Omega

Completely Insane
December 21, 2012

There had been no warning for the events of that day. Astronomers had for years reported nothing but boring, black space around the Earth. It was as though the meteorite had just suddenly appeared in orbit, leaving only a scant few minutes for word to spread before impact.
As the meteorite hurtled through the atmosphere, fragments broke off, creating a rain of fire spread for miles beyond the main impact site.
The actual damage caused by the impact was surprisingly small, however. Impossibly small, according to some. The main meteorite only destroyed a small, mostly uninhabited island. The smaller fragments, whilst more widespread, mostly hit the outskirts of cities, killing far fewer than would have been expected. Even the aftereffects were strangely muted; the apocalyptic visions of the widespread destruction caused by such a scenario never came to be. There was no gigantic cloud of dust blocking out the sun, nor were there earthquakes, or floods, or any of the events that should have followed such a cataclysm. It was as if the laws of physics had, for some unfathomable reason, chosen to spare the human race.
But while the impact itself would not destroy the world, it would cause the most bloody and destructive period in history, and the ascension of mankind into something greater....
The Gaia War

Right then. This story is my attempt to gain some publicity for a scenario I've been working on (Seeing as how, since I haven't posted at this place in forever, if I tried just going, "Hey guys, try out this kewl scenario I made!", the general response would be along the lines of, "And you are...?")
So. The scenario. It started out pretty small; just a little scenario I was making for me and some friends based off of our countries in Facebook's Nations application, so I could get some modding practice for working on Playground Mod 2.0 (Since I don't have Bluemofia to do all the hard work anymore. And I swear that I going to get that mod done. Eventually.) It kind of grew after that, and around the point where I started messing with the terrain graphics I realized that I had what could eventually become a full fledged scenario. And here it is.

Game Info Stuff:
I will be playing as the Empire of Omegia, who are Militaristic, Industrious, and Commercial. Difficulty will be at Emperor (A first for me). The only possible victory conditions in this scenario are Conquest, and Victory Point via Reverse Capture the Flag. King units are in the game, but the civilization keeps going if their king is killed.

And now, onwards to the game.

Prologue, Part I
The Becoming

For as long as any can remember, the Erebian Peninsula has been one of the most volatile regions in the world. Centuries ago, it was ruled by the Erebian Federation, a collection of city states competing against each other in a futile struggle for dominance. This was all changed by the appearance of the Clandestine. These strange, masked figures appeared in every city state, offering a vision of an end to the city states' fighting, a vision of a united Erebia. All they asked for in return was complete obedience. The paranoid rulers of the cities all turned them down. Thus the Clandestine returned to the shadows, and created a centuries long era of brutal killings. Hundreds of political leaders and other prominent figures were violently slain, throwing the entire region into turmoil.

In the northern half Erebia, the city states began to set aside their differences in light of these massacres, and come together. More centralized governing systems were created, and barriers between the nations began to come down. But still the violence continued.
Southern Erebia, a place long considered to be a powder keg of various ethnic groups and religions, exploded. It took only a few years of the Clandestine's killing of political figures in the area before an all-out war started between the hundreds of factions in the area. Eventually, even the Clandestine was forced to pull out of the area, to prevent from losing too many of its members in the crossfire of atrocities and ethnic cleansing.

The only place that escaped the violence was the city of Pwnzopolis at the far eastern end of the peninsula. Within a year of the Clandestine's murders, Pwnzopolis closed off all contact with the outside world. The surrounding cities, relying on Pwnzopolis's robust industrial and agricultural sectors, saw their economies implode, and the areas around the city became a lawless wasteland.

Nearly two centuries passed before any change was seen. With the murders continuing unabated, the city states of northern Erebia finally chose to come together, and created the nation of Erebia, hoping that the united nation's strength would at least lessen the Clandestine's power. With high hopes, a committee was formed to draft out the constitution of the new nation. But the Clandestine had already infiltrated the committee, and most of the members were either under the thumb of the Clandestine, or Clandestine in disguise. The constitution they created was called the "Morden Proviso", and it granted the government of Erebia absolute power of the lives of its citizens. All possible resistance was brutally crushed, and an absolutist government was created. And with that, the Clandestine, and their masters, the Satanic cult, the Temple of the Burning Eye, became the supreme rulers of the land.

Southern Erebia was also experiencing a rapid change. After centuries of bloody struggle, a movement for unification began. Under the leadership of the self-proclaimed Emperor Sean, the Empire of Omegia fought to conquer all of southern Erebia. Sean promised an end of the conflict that had plagued the region, creating a massive army from all races and religions. With so many people tired of the pointless massacres, thousands flocked to the Empire. Differences were set aside to create a single, unified war machine, and using his ever growing supply of manpower and industry, Sean expanded his Empire, until he ruled all of southern Erebia with an iron fist.

With the level of violence in Erebia decreasing, Pwnzopolis finally opened its gates to the outside world again. Two centuries of isolation had led them to creating a rather....eccentric..... culture. But despite their strange languages where numbers did the work of letters and l33t was the highest of compliments, Pwnzopolis still had a strong economy, which is used to fund the creation of an army and naval force. With its new military force, Pwnzopolis forcibly took control of the surrounding cities, claiming them to be part of the Grand Duchy of Pwnzoria. Many of the citizens were enslaved, and taken back to Pwnzopolis to work on creating grand projects for the city.

But the rest of the world had not been standing idle as these events unfurled....

(Darn it, I'll have to divide this into two posts..... Curse you Daniel, and your decision to create an overly long history!!!!!!)

Looks interesting, although for some reason I have trouble seeing Squall as the "Dictator with an Iron Fist" for some reason. :lol:

Prologue, Part II
Contact With the Outside

For the past two centuries, the people of the Erebian Peninsula had paid little attention to what was occurring in the rest of the world. Erebia had been a center of trade, and its chaos was felt worldwide. North of the peninsula, a massive war began as nations tried to compensate for the loss of resources and money. Decades of warfare resulted in only two nations left standing: The proudly democratic Iustitians, and their allies, the scientific-minded Bhyu.

The Iustitians began a crusade to spread their ideals of democracy and freedom to all nations, forcibly if need be. This brought Iustitia in conflict with Erebia's new, oppressively Satanic dictatorship. The newly elected President Kari ordered an invasion of the country, and with the support of Bhyu, the armies attacked. However, the unexpectedly fierce resistance from the Erebians forced the armies of the Righteous Coalition to retreat. With both sides now wary of a possible attack from the other, massive defensive lines were erected on both sides of the border. An uneasy peace was created, as both waited for a weakness in the other.

The islands south of Erebia experienced a much less violent history following Erebia's decline into chaos. This was mostly achieved by not being important enough for any other nation to pay much attention to. The Arigos League, formerly ruled by a collection of aristocrats, came together and created a centralized government under the rule of a prince in the hopes that this would allow for better economic planning to reduce the aftereffects of Erebia's decline.The Princes of the Arigos League mostly responded to the threats of the outside world through isolation, and the Arigos League became a self-contained entity, blissfully ignorant of the events that occurred around them.

In more recent years, the area has seen the rise of the company Schripia Inc to political prominence. Formerly just an entertainment business, under the leadership of Chairman Smithy, the company purchased an entire island, which they turned into a massive city/amusement park/resort. To protect the island from threats from the Erebian mainland, Schripia Inc created a military force, and with the creation of a set of codified laws, they began to more resemble a government than just another corporation.

Because of the geography of these islands, Omegia almost immediately began building up forces for an invasion following its consolidation of power on the mainland. Iustitia threatened military response to any invasion by Omegia, but these threats were mostly ignored. With invasion seeming imminent, the Iustitian's finally got the attention of Sean when they threatened the complete nuclear annihilation of his country. Requests for assistance were sent to Erebia, but they were ignored, as Erebia favored the idea of the destruction of that annoyingly non-Erebian blot on their maps. Eventually, a peace of sorts was settled with help from Pwnzoria (Who didn't want fallout harming their glorious capital city), and Omegia was forced to, for a time, stop its attempts at expansion.

Iustitia was not the only nation that was opposed to the new ruling powers in Erebia.

Upon discovering the Satanic nature of the new government, Pope Parker III of the Holy State of Chrio declared a Holy Crusade against the heathen nations of the Erebian Peninsula.

Sorry, erm, wrong picture. (Awww, isn't it just the cutest devil-thing ever?)

Against the heathen nations of the Erebian Peninsula!

(That's better)

The Chrians initially had many successes in the war, with their troops landing on the beaches of Erebia facing little resistance. As the Chrian armies advanced further into the peninsula, the leaders of Erebia, Omegia, and Pwnzoria met to agree on how to deal with this threat (Foreign policy regarding the other nations of the peninsula had been up to this point ignoring them in the hopes that they would go away). After much diplomatic talkings, the three nations formed the Triumvirate of the Strong, an alliance designed to protect the peninsula from all those people who kept trying to liberate it. The combined armies were able to repel the Chrian invaders, thus ending the First Holy Crusade.

Years passed, and the world began to rebuild from all the fighting. Peace was maintained, though it was a fragile peace, and few predicted it would last long.
Then, on December 21, 2012, fire fell from the skies....

Looks interesting, although for some reason I have trouble seeing Squall as the "Dictator with an Iron Fist" for some reason. :lol:

You be quiet, you! That is obviously not Squall! That is Emperor Sean! Squall has a gunsword! Emperor Sean does not! The difference is like night and day!:mischief:

Part I
The Calm

December 22, 2012
Omegia Imperial Palace, Austin, Empire of Omegia

To many visitors of the city, the medieval architecture of the Imperial Palace seemed to stand in sharp contract to the modern city that surrounded it. There was a reason for that, General Peter of the Omegian Armed Forces knew. He had been there, the day that the Emperor had taken the chief architect aside, and told him, "Look now, I want this palace to be impressive. Put a bunch of turrets on it, make the gate look like some kind of dread portal, make the thing as tall as a freakin' sky scraper if you have you. I want it so that when people see the palace, they realize just how powerful we are, and how weak their nation is compared to ours. I want to make sure that they're already grovelling on their knees by the time they've come through the door."
It would have come as a surprise then, to most of the citizenry of Omegia, that only the outside and the throne room of the palace actually had this dramatic appearance. Much of the building, including the hallway Peter found himself walking down, was very plain in appearance, with its design focused on functionality rather than appearance.
Peter stepped around a small crater in the floor. The meteorite storm seemed to have gravitated towards the palace. It was strange, really. Most of the city itself was completely intact; just the palace was bombarded. At least they were fortunate enough that none of the meteorites had been much larger than a golf ball. It had almost been as though a small, and very specific rain of hail had fallen on the palace. A rain of hail that could punch through solid plate steel, but a rain of hail nonetheless. Peter made a note to get some military engineers to repair the building. He'd normally use civilian contractors, but Sean preferred for civilians to stay outside of his rather spacious home.
After making his way through the maze like structure, occasionally having to get out of the way of a rushed clerk carrying a large stack of papers, Peter made his way to the Emperor's office. The guards outside the door appeared slightly more alert than usual. Something was going on.
Peter wordlessly entered the room, paying no mind to the guards. The day they had to search him to ensure the emperor's safety would be a sad day for the Empire.
The office itself was spartan in appearance. The only furniture was a chair and a desk. The walls were blank, lacking even an Omegian flag many would have expected. The only sign of Sean's personality on the room was on the desk; it was covered in an array of seemingly random trinkets. There was an inverted crucifix Sean had been given on a visit to Erebia, the piece of shrapnel that had given him the scar on his face, a miniature Iustitian flag Peter suspected he had stolen while on a diplomatic mission to the nation, and all manner of random items that the Emperor had accumulated. He tended to fiddle with them, spinning them between his fingers or tossing them in the air absentmindedly while working. There was a new item on the desk: a small stone, which seemed to be glowing with some kind of inner light. It was the focus of Sean's attention as Peter entered the room.
Peter cleared his throat. "My lord, I-"
"Fascinating, isn't it?' Sean interrupted.
Peter was momentarily speechless. Sean did not usually break from ceremony. Quickly recollecting his wits, he was able to ask, "What is, sir?"
"These meteorites. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like them." Sean said, as he ran his finger along it. The light seemed to flare up at whatever point his skin touched. "This one went straight through my bed last night."
"Sir?!" Peter asked in surprise.
Sean finally glanced up from the stone to look at Peter. His eyes looked faraway, as if they were focused on something far from this room. "Don't worry, I wasn't in it at the time." His gaze returned to focus on the meteorite. "Apparently one of the larger fragments destroyed a rebel encampment in the eastern mountains. Possibly hundreds are dead. Do you think there's a chance they might surrender now?"
"I doubt it, sir. Samael is ex-Clandestine. Now that Erebia has agreed to assist us in capturing him, he knows he has nowhere left to run. Him and his followers will likely all fight to the death."
Sean sighed, then began throwing the glowing stone into the air. It flared briefly every time his hand caught it. "I assumed as much. Order our black ops to kill him as quickly as possible. We can't let him get his hands on these..... No, we can't....."
"My lord, are you feeling well?" Sean rarely seemed this distracted during his meetings with Peter. It was unnerving.
Sean glanced at Peter, then quickly put the stone into a pocket of his black coat. His eyes returned to focus, and he began to grin. "Why, of course I feel fine. I just spent the entire night awake watching great balls of fire rain down on my palace, nearly taking my head off a few times. Why wouldn't I feel just great?"
Peter tried to hide his sigh of relief. Sarcasm. That was more familiar territory. "Very well, sir. Why have you called me today?"
"The meteorite. Have you heard the location of the main impact site?"
Peter shook his head. "Sorry sir. Not all of us have a direct line of contact with your spies."
Sean chuckled. "Yes, I guess that's so. The meteorite struck the island of Gaia. The entire island has been completely destroyed. All that's left is a large crater, and at the bottom, a gigantic stone made of," he waved his hand around, "whatever those glowing stones are made of."
Peter's mind raced as he searched his memory. "Gaia..... Oh, yes! That's the island Schripia and the Arigos League were constructing. It was supposed to become some kind of massive resort island." Peter's mind continued down its train of thought, rapidly making connections. Sean has summoned him, the head of the Omegian military, to discuss the matter of a meteorite that had struck in Schripian and Arigosian territory.... "Are you planning to invade the island nations, sir?"
Sean's grin grew. "Very good. Of course, we'll have to finish that problem with Samael, and deal with some more of that economic restructuring first, but I plan to have the orders for bombing of Schripia to begin by next week at the latest."
"Are you sure we should invade so soon? Didn't our original plans call for us waiting another year before our invasion?"
"Yes, but the situation has changed."
"How, sir?"
"Schripia and the Arigos League didn't have a large and shiny rock that I want to get my hands on before. Now they do."
"Is.... Is that really a wise reason to begin another war, sir?"
"Is there any wise reason to begin a war? No, don't answer that, it was rhetorical."
"But what of the Righteous Coalition? They have a much larger military force than us at the moment...."
Sean picked up the Iustitian flag. "Oh, I'm sure our Erebian allies will be positively delighted...." He snapped the flag in two. "....For an excuse to slaughter Iustitians." Sean's grin grew sadistically wider.
Peter quickly saluted and excused himself. As he walked down the hallway, listening to Sean's evil laughter in the background, he was already drawing up mental plans for the war ahead. He started to smile too. Much as he would refuse to admit it, anyone who spent too much time with the emperor often found themselves sharing in his sociopathic glee from warfare. The Schripians would have no idea what hit them....

December 24, 2012
Main Impact Site, Formerly Gaia Island

They made an odd pair, Chairman Smithy and Prince Arigo XI. The self-made businessman, who had worked from being a poor refugee to become the richest man in the world, and the affluent prince of the Arigos League. The alliance between their two countries been for survival, not any similarities of ideology. Even so, the two leaders got along very well. It may have been, Smithy silently reflected, due to the fact that they often seemed to be the only two sane rulers left in this world.

A flash tore open the sky. A man in a white lab coat standing next to Smithy quickly wrote some lines on a paper.
"Another lightning strike, sir. That was a 3 hour long gap between this and the previous one. They're decreasing in frequency."
Smithy nodded. They'd tried to send in a research team immediately after the impact. None of the members had returned. Once the lightning around the site stopped, they'd try again.
The prince was paying little attention to the lightning. "That's a few billion dollars we won't be seeing again." He gestured towards where Gaia Island would have been. It would have been one of the world's grandest achievements. The largest man made island ever built. Investors had come from all corners of the Earth in hopes of having a part of what everyone considered would be a modern wonder of the world. Now, that wonder was gone.

Smithy and Prince Arigo stood on the coastline of the ring of mountains that the impact had created. Another physical impossibility, Smithy thought to himself. No crater he had seen before created a wall of mountains around it upon striking the ground. But then again, no crater he had seen before had a highly localized and extremely powerful lightning storm stay above it for days after the initial strike. Nor did they cause billions of dollars worth of manpower and machinery to vanish without a trace. He almost wished they had found some bodies, or the wreckage of the machinery. Instead, it was as if upon the meteorite touching down, everything within the mountainous walls it had created simply ceased to exist.
Smithy nodded to the researcher. "We should head back to the research camp now." He said aloud. They began their walk up the rocky path that had been created to the small camp.
As they walked, Arigo spoke up. "Do you think the Omegians will actually invade?" There was an edge of fear in his tone.
"If they do, they will not find us the easy prey they expect." Smithy's voice lacked any emotion or conviction. His mind kept wandering back to the image of the lightning striking the meteorite. What sort of power did it hold.....
"The Royal Navy will ensure that their soldiers do not even touch the ground!" Arigo proclaimed, chest inflating with pride. It did little to hide his nervousness.
Smithy did not care at the moment about whatever his friend said would happen. He walked back towards the camp, eyes set straight ahead. Maybe when the lightning stopped, he could be with the team going to the impact site....
His eyes caught sight of something flashing on the ground. He bent down, ignoring the dirt he was getting on his expensive suit, to pick it up. It was a shard of the meteorite. The fragment glowed as he closed his hand around it. His mind, which had felt so foggy, became focused again. Yes. This was right. He quickly dropped the stone into a suit's pocket, oblivious to the confused expression on the face of his friend.
Smithy smiled. "Let the Omegians come. We will give them the fight they want."
He laughed as he quickly walked up the path. Despite the war and the meteorite, everything suddenly felt so much better.

The civs, and alliances, are:

Triumvirate of the Strong
Omegia
Erebia
Pwnzoria

Righteous Coalition
Iustitia
Bhyu

Gaia Federation
Arigos League
Schripia

Crusaders
Chrio

That's really it. I was trying to keep the number of civs in the scenario small enough for a multiplayer game to be possible.

I see that the Omegians have discovered Warpstone. :p

....But I'm not down with you guys allying yourselves with the Powers of Darkness. :nono:

Allying with the Powers of Darkness? Omegia gets interrogation chambers and death camps instead of courthouses and police stations! Pwnzoria has a great wonder called The Slave Trade! Erebia can sacrifice workers for culture (Not to mention they worship Satan)!

We ARE the Powers of Darkness!

Allying with the Powers of Darkness? Omegia gets interrogation chambers and death camps instead of courthouses and police stations! Pwnzoria has a great wonder called The Slave Trade! Erebia can sacrifice workers for culture (Not to mention they worship Satan)!

We ARE the Powers of Darkness!

You're just lucky I can't bring in the SoD that I was using against the Shinra in my FF mod story thread or the Artillery/Commando SoD from my AoI thread, buster! :lol:

Of course the big question is why would you play as the EVIL side? (The only reason I would is so I could lead a revolution and backstab the other two evil powers and rid the earth of their vile, smelly corruption for once and all!)

....Yes, I've played and beaten both the Age of Discovery and Mesoamerican conquest as one of the Native American factions, but I did it WITHOUT building sacrificial altars or sacrificing a single unit.... Then again, I did manage to steal/trade/research enough advances to change the Aztec government over to a Catholic Monarchy, but that's beside the point. :lol:

Edit: I'm also warning you that I'm not too thrilled about my LH graphics being used in some kind of "Satan Rules!!!" scenario, either!

-Hikaro "The Reverend" Takayama

Because the Evil sides are more fun. And there's just something so satisfying about playing as the Erebians, razing a size 20 city and then sacrificing every single worker you get out of it in a single turn. Which would pretty much be the equivalent of ritually sacrificing something like the entire population of New York City over the course of a single week. Nothing can top that.:mwaha:
And it's not a Satan Rules scenario. Erebia's the only Satanic civilization. Omegia's a generic dictatorship, and Pwnzoria's..... Well, Pwnzoria's Pwnzoria. Nothing really compares to it.
Anyways.

Part II
Alliances

December 24, 2012
Pwnzorian Palace, Pwnzopolis, Grand Duchy of Pwnzoria

The black Omegian helicopter was just landing as Commander Lechaim Pwnstein reached the helipad. Grand Duke Alek, wearing his full regal uniform complete with the Crown of Epic and the Cloak of Uberness, was already waiting for him at the top. The edges of the helipad was crowded with reporters, all insulting each other loudly AND IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS as they fought for the best spot to take a picture, in the finest tradition of Pwnzoria. Pwnstein was able to get in position next to Alek just as the blades of the helicopter stopped spinning, and its passengers exited. Sean leaped from the helicopter, followed less energetically by General Peter. Sean and Alek shook hands as they met, with flashes from a dozen cameras as reporters uploaded the pictures to their accounts, so they could add captions later.
"lol hai w3lcum 2 Pwnzoria s34n!!11" Alek jovially said. Pwnstein could see Sean's mind desperately trying to translate what he had just heard behind the grin he was wearing for the cameras. The ability to pronounce numbers as letters was a distinctly Pwnzorian skill, which few outside were able to master, or even understand.
"Um.... Oh, yes, hello Alek!" Sean quickly said once he figured out what Alek had just said.
Alek glanced at the crowd of reports. "u w4nt 2 4dm1n b4n t3h n00bs?" He said, quietly enough that the reporters couldn't hear him.
Sean just smiled and nodded. Pwnstein noticed that this was the usual response foreigners had when conversing with Pwnzorians.
The two leaders, followed by Peter and Pwnstein, descended into the palace. Alek guided them to an isolated room with a round table in the middle. After they had been seated, Alek removed the official uniform. Underneath he wore a simple suit. "So," he said, switching to flawless English, "What do I owe the pleasure of this visit."
Sean leaned back in his chair. "We're invading Schripia and Arigos."
Pwnstein's jaw dropped. "You're WHAT?"
"Sean.... That is, the Emperor, believes that, due to the confusion caused by the recent meteorite strike destroying Gaia Island, we have the perfect opportunity to attack while they are still struggling to rebuild." Peter placed a map on the table. "Our forces should be able to capture Schripia quickly. With them gone, the Arigos League won't be able to hold off your navy on their own. They will fall soon afterward. The war should hopefully be over before the Righteous Coalition or Chrio has a chance to begin to seriously mobilize. And even if they do, we can almost certainly rely on Erebia to hold them off."
Alek stroked his chin. "What does Pwnzoria have to gain out of this war?"
Sean spread his hands. "Complete control of the Gulf of Erebia. All Omegia wants is the Schripian lands, which are rightfully ours anyways. The rest of the islands are yours."
Alek narrowed his eyes. "Generosity is not a trait you are well known for, Sean. What else is it you want?"
Sean shrugged. "Just control over the area where Gaia Island used to be...."
Alek grinned in understanding. "Ah, you want the meteorite is it? Yes, they are a fascinating thing...." He reached into a suit pocket and pulled out a glowing stone. "Truly fascinating...."
Sean and Peter sat bolt upright when they saw the stone. "So, you have one too?" Sean cautiously asked.
Alek laughed. "Everyone has one. So many tiny shards fell all over the place, that even if we quarantined all the major deposits, there would still be enough lying around for half of the population of Pwnzopolis to have at least a small shard."
Sean relaxed slightly. Pwnstein noticed that his eyes hungrily followed the stone as Alek put it back into his pocket. Why would he be so obsessed with the rocks? Pwnstein had one that he was using as a paperweight. Other than their tendency to glow brighter when touched, they seemed utterly unremarkable, and useless as anything other than a conversation piece..
Pwnstein studied the map that Peter had presented harder. "Are you certain that you will be able to remove Schripia from the war quickly?"
Sean laughed. "We're Omegia. They'll be gone within a week."
Peter, however, offered a more somber view. "If Smithy is able to mobilize a large enough force, then no, we will not be able to defeat them quickly. Even so, neither Schripia or Arigos can last long in a war of attrition against us. They lack our production capacity. While that route would be more costly, there is little they could do to stop us in the end. The only plausible scenarios that end in our defeat would be a successful Chrian invasion, which I am sure your navy will ensure does not happen, or the Righteous Coalition defeating Erebia, and I doubt they would be willing to suffer the casualties necessary to do that."
Alek nodded slowly. "There appears to be little for us to lose, in exchange for quiet a substantial gain. Though I must ask, Commander Pwnstein, what is your opinion on this?"
Pwnstein slowly looked over the map, trying to impossibly predict what the future was for his country. Finally, he responded, "While I am loath to drag our glorious nation into a war as potentially destructive as this, I must bow to your decision on this matter. I will mobilize our colonial infantry to prepare for war as soon as possible. The Funkonauts can replace them as defenders of our cities, and...."
"We'll just leave you two to go and discuss these military matters. I have another appointment I must attend to." Sean said, as he and Peter stood up from their chairs.
Alek formally bid them farewell with, "k thx bai", before turning his attention back to Pwnstein's discussions of the logistics of mobilizing the largely civilian population in preparation for this war.

December 25, 2012
Temple of the Burning Eye, Nagrythe, Erebia

(Special Thanks to Daniel for the first part of this entry)

Daniel, the Dark Lord of Erebia, stared down at his night’s entertainment with much interest. Six figures stood before him at his palace floor, a marvelous building forged from Bloodstone. Each was pale and emaciated beyond all reckoning. Forced starvation for 2 weeks does that to a person. All six had just been summoned from the slave pits to be Daniel’s dinner show, but he had stopped eating entirely to focus on the event, which had thus far managed to become one of the most memorable in his long history as Lord of Erebia.

Each of the six had been promised a meal, a real meal worthy of Daniel himself should he be one of the three survivors of a battle against all six. These battles of desperation degraded quickly into barbaric animalism which suited Daniel’s own base and far less cultured tastes, but on occasion something would happen which would appeal to his inner psychologist. Often times, for example, he found that someone who was sufficiently starved would resort to cannibalism, which is why he was constantly forced to remove the suicides from his starvation pits. Sometimes this realization would hit a fighter in the middle of his combat for a meal, and he would maddeningly bite, gnaw, and devour his opponent alive. The truly interesting matches occurred when all the combatants discovered this tactic, and an orgy of cannibalism would ensue. But even those rare moments of pure, refined pleasure did not compare to the events which were folding out before Daniel; Indeed, he had never seen the process “Democratized” before.

“Look, if we just vote to eat each other off one by one and share the meal, at least some of us will end the pain of starvation for a little while, even if we die!” announced one who Daniel was positive had once been a farmer. “See, we just gotta pick the runt of the litter!” he announced.

“Don’t be stupid, let’s pick the meatiest! More food for more people, and we can overpower him!” said another.

“Don’t be ridiculous” said the one who was without a doubt the biggest of the six. “You’ll waste all the energy fighting the biggest one that you’ll get from eating him! I should know, I used to be a doctor! Let’s just vote on someone and be done with it!”

The doctor made Daniel smile. Perhaps it was the fact that in the heat of barbarism these men were using society’s laws and rules to help rationalize the acts they were about to indulge in (though not HIS laws of course). Perhaps it was that a doctor had just condoned cannibalism.

They all sat down, and the doctor brought up each of the six combatants up to vote. In the end, the farmer was chosen.

“No! NO I WANT A RECOUNT!! I WANT A RECOUNT GOD DAMN YOU!” he yelled.

“Please, please you have to make the sacrifice! You were never going to make it anyways, please we can make this quick,” pleaded one of the others.

“No, no, no no no no nonononono...” pleaded the farmer, but to no avail. The crowd of five gradually turned towards him before the Doctor finally leaped on him and began to beat his head in with his fists. The other five jumped on quickly, ignoring all pretense of civilized behavior and tearing apart bits of flesh to stuff themselves eagerly. Daniel sat quietly and wondered if they would renew their democratic processes once the full horror of their actions were made clear.

Sure enough, they did. They sat in horror and shock, but after an hour or so of deliberation and tears, the group reorganized and held yet another vote. By now, Daniel had forgotten his meal of warm veil and fresh fruit, his focus entirely held by this rare group. It was as the second vote was tallied that Daniel realized all of these fellows had been captured from another nation. They were all citizens of Iustitia.

Eventually they widdled themselves down to three, as per the set condition of Daniel’s game. They each turned up towards the throne, waiting for their prize.

Daniel rose from the throne.

“Excellent, children. You have all pleased me with your show. I must admit that in all my years of Lordship, I have never seen such barbarous habits like democracy mixed in with the art of life and death. But I’m afraid that your time in captivity has led you to lose some of your common sense,” Daniel exclaimed slowly. His beautiful purple silk robes bellowed out behind him, but straps across the front kept his entire figure and frame, even his face, completely concealed save his glowing red eyes.

The three survivors glared up at him, uncertain of what was going to happen.

“You see, the conditions I had set forth were COMBAT. Yet I saw no such combat, merely...a game. A joke. In fact, I despise the very depths to which you sank. Yet it is not to say I am....completely disappointed,” Daniel continued. “No, I was quite pleased. Your people would be proud, I am sure, to know that even in the face of total Darkness, even in the face of death, you could put their ponderous political processes to good use. Well, good is a relative term I suppose...” Daniel trailed off.

“Nevertheless, I have decided that in these particular conditions it would not be fair of me to give you a meal when you so unabashedly ignored my conditions. Especially not to the others who came before you, the exalted members of my own personal guard who all underwent these ordeals to become worthy. Your people pride themselves on equality, why should I allow you to gain a meal with scarcely a single scar on you when others fought tooth-and-claw, quite literally, to eat? No, it simply is not fair. Not fair at all.” They could not see his face, but Daniel was smiling.

“So now, it is time for combat. There shall be no survivors.”

The Doctor began to laugh.

“What do you think, that you can make us all kill each other? Hahahaha!!! Who cares anymore! You have no reason to make us fight! You want us to die, you’ll have to kill us yourself!”

“But my dear politico, that is what I had in mind this entire time,” Daniel smiled, and began to cruelly laugh. He reached one hand out of his cloak, a gauntlet-clad hand tied to metal armor. He undid the cloak which fell ceremoniously to the ground. The 6 foot tall muscular giant, clad in jet-black armor adorned with spikes and various occult sigils, stood before them crowned in a golden crown. The helmet appeared to be shaped like that of a goat, with a pentagram between the two ram’s horns that curled up towards the top of his head. His red eyes were still glowing with intense hatred, yet a sickening glow of joy.

Daniel ran forward with intense speed and smashed his fist into the face of the doctor. The starvation had greatly weakened him, and he had lost much bone matter from the lack of calcium. He could hear the crack of bone as his metal fist connected with his prey’s jaw. Before the doctor could collapse to the ground from the force of the blow, Daniel’s hand flew out and seized the doctor by the throat, lifting him into the air. He stared into the bewildered eyes. It had lost all hope. All at once dazed, confused, and in anguish and pain it could scarcely comprehend, it was torn between the will to live and to simply die. His only means of escape had been so close, yet crudely tossed away. There was nothing more in his eyes, no defiance or hatred or scorn, just pure loss.

Daniel vaguely remembered stories of ancient Black Magickians whom Satan had granted the power to steal souls, an art which was lost to eternity. Daniel firmly believed that he had discovered that power again when he saw how utterly defeated the doctor was.

He let go of the defeated doctor, whose body simply fell to the floor.

Daniel smiled as he continued to wipe the blood from his iron gauntlet. Around him were five other members of the Temple of the Burning Eye, all dressed in their Clandestine uniforms. They stared at him from behind their ornate masks in perfect, eerie silence. The bodies had been stripped to the bone by the barbaric cannibalistic practices of the Temple. All five members had eaten well.

An armored guard of the Erebian capital entered through the enormous double doors of the citadel.

“My Lord, Emperor Sean of Omegia has requested another audience. He would not say his purpose, but our spies report the mobilization of Omegian and Pwnzorian armies. No doubt he is planning another war against the Righteous Coalition.”

Daniel rose up from his throne.

“Emperor Sean...” he trailed off thoughtfully.

“Yes, yes we shall have an audience with our dear friend. Have the puppet bring him to our palace.”

”Of course my Lord” the guard answered. He bowed respectfully before his Lord and left.

“Well, what of these tidings of war” one of the priests asked.

“What does the Burning Eye say of this? This meteor,” Daniel asked.

“It is of use to us. It matters little who controls it, so long as it is put to a negative use. The disruption of power alone...it will give rise to a new, glorious Aeon. Even if we control but a fraction, it shall be enough to open the Gates,” the priest said.

“It does not answer the concern of the coming struggle. The Styx and the Acheron are not pleased. While the lives of the citizens are not concerning to us, we cannot allow for our enemies to destroy what we have created here.”

“Inform the Temple Masters that they need not worry. The matter will be dealt with.” Daniel said. “This war is far to important for any factors to be ignored. Assure them that no details have escaped me, and all goes according to plan.”

”Very well, Daniel. We shall meet again soon.”

The priests turned one by one and exited the room. Daniel turned to face the enormous mural of a burning Eye above an Aztec pyramid gazing out towards a world lit ablaze.

“Our time has come. All we have built, all we have created...for this.”

General Peter gazed idly out the window as the city of Nagrythe sped by. From the sky, the city seemed to be constructed entirely of black metal, rising upwards in gigantic towers. From the ground, you could see that most of the buildings in the city were crude wooden huts quickly fashioned together to offer some protection from the elements. Blank, hungry faces watched the car as it drove down the road. The first time he had visited Erebia, Peter had been horrified to see the citizens. Their faces held no trace of any hope, or belief that tomorrow would be better. Years of living under these conditions had destroyed any room for hope.
The car they were in was the only one on the road. The citizens couldn't afford cars, the military walked everywhere, and the Temple of the Burning Eye.... Well, they didn't drive. The only people who had cars were members of the puppet government that the Temple held as a front to conceal their true activities. This particular car belonged to the man who was supposedly Erebia's head of state. Peter hadn't bothered learning his name. Erebian heads of state never lasted long enough for it to matter.
The nervous man kept trying to start a conversation with Peter and Sean. Both ignored him. As far as they were concerned, the man was just an intermediary they needed to use to get to the real leadership.
"I apologize for the number of people in the streets. You see, it's all because of the Christmas celebration." The man said.
That grabbed Peter and Sean's attention. "You.... Celebrate the birth of Christ here?" Sean cautiously asked.
"Well, of course!" The man responded, voice full of surprise. "After all, we did succeed in killing him in the end!"
Sean and Peter could only stare at the man. "But..... But didn't he....." Sean began.
"Yes?"
"Nevermind."
The two resumed their previous activity of looking out the window.
After a few more failed attempts at starting a new conversation, the man gave up speaking and began to glance around nervously. It seemed to be a habit many members of the puppet government gained. Eventually, after weaving through a labyrinth of twisting alleyways and seemingly illogical streets, they reached the Erebian Palace.

Peter had once thought the Omegian palace to be the epitome of dramatic architecture. After he saw the Erebian Palace, rising above the multi-stepped pyramids and obsidian towers, he realized just how wrong he was. And these people did it without even trying, he silently though to himself.
A Clandestine was waiting for them at the gate. As he escorted Peter and Sean inside, the puppet leader quickly drove away. Peter smiled at the man's panic, though he understood it. Working in Erebian territory always made him nervous. He still remembered the days when the Clandestine considered him a viable target. And the watching gazes of the citizens were the distilled essence of creepyness. The head of state had assured them that the rumors of cannibalism were just rumors. Then again, the man had also said that Erebia was a freedom loving, peaceful society.
Sean seemed perfectly at ease in the surroundings, even as they passed through a room where impaled animal (and human) sacrifices lined the walls. He always wore the inverted crucifix when visiting Erebian territory, Peter noticed. Whether this was as a sign of solidarity, or something out of the Emperor's strange sense of humor, Peter couldn't tell. It may have even been both.
The Clandestine brought them into the throne room, then silently left. Daniel sat atop his black, spiked throne, dressed in flowing purple robes. Two glowing red eyes gazed at the pair.
"So," Daniel spoke, in a voice that Peter swore no human should have been able to make, "You plan to go to war with the Coalition."
Sean smiled, and shook his head. "Nope. We plan for YOU to go to war with the Coalition, whilst we invade the southern islands."
Daniel stared at Sean for some time. Then he hissed, "Why should we help you?"
Peter tried to focus his attention somewhere other than the glowing red eyes. However, the decor of the room wasn't much to inspire confidence in him either. He noticed six skeletons lying at the foot of the throne. He didn't remember them the last time he was here.
Sean was grinning again. "You know, I actually never considered the idea that you'd refuse."
Daniel's eyes narrowed. "Did you not?"
"No, really. I've seen those forts you've constructed. And I know the fervor which the Iustitians fight. They'll be charging at those things without a second thought. Hundreds of thousands, maybe millions will be slaughtered. It will be Erebia's greatest slaughter ever."
Daniel and Sean stared at each other silently for some time. It seemed to Parker as though some kind of conversation was going on which he was not privy too.
"You expect me to commit to war just because there is a possibility that we will kill a few thousand?" Daniel asked, but there was hesitation in his voice.
"Yes, that would be the gist of it. And then there's the matter of Chrio...."
Daniel focused onto Sean. His attention had been sufficiently grabbed.
"If, hypothetically, you were able to cause great enough damage to Iustitia, there would be little they could to do uphold the ban on nuclear weapons they created a while ago." Sean said. "And considering your history with Chrio, I am sure the phrase 'Nuking them until all that's left is glass' has a very nice ring to it, don't you agree?"
Daniel paused again before answering. "Very well. Our armies have already begun to mobilize for this war. They will be prepared to fight in within days."
Sean bowed slightly. "I thank you for your generosity and forethought. Now I must leave, before my general has a panic attack."
Sean turned to leave, quickly followed by Peter. As they neared the door, Daniel called out. "Wait. Sean. This war you are starting. It is not just for land, is it? What do you hope to gain from this?"
Sean merely smiled. "Catch."
Peter saw him throw something at Daniel. For a brief second, he saw a black gauntlet shoot out of the robes to grab the object. There was a slight glow from whatever the hand held, before the gauntlet disappeared back into the robe.

As the two walked out of the palace, Sean turned to Peter. "Do you think we can buy a few gallons of holy water from Chrio before we start the war?"
"Whu-Why sir?"
"I'm going to need to be bathing in it for a few hours to get the feeling of being damned to go away. Satanic Christmas..... What will these people think of next...."

Last edited:
The Omega said:
Because the Evil sides are more fun. And there's just something so satisfying about playing as the Erebians, razing a size 20 city and then sacrificing every single worker you get out of it in a single turn. Which would pretty much be the equivalent of ritually sacrificing something like the entire population of New York City over the course of a single week. Nothing can top that.

I beg to differ: Starting out as the smallest, weakest republic with the worst unit-lineup, yet somehow managing to kick the living crap out of the world's largest, most powerful empire, while bigger and better nations fail to do the same.... THAT is exciting.

I also completely disagree on the "evil is more fun" bull$hit... Evil is boring.. Nothing but raze, pillage and plunder. Being good takes SKILL and discipline to pull of right. Especially since most of the Art of War fits into a Neutral-Good frame. I'd rather make the citizens of the "size-20 city" my fanatically loyal subjects by carefully-crafted diplomacy and treating them nice after conquering liberating them than go on some vain-glorious orgy of violence.

And it's not a Satan Rules scenario. Erebia's the only Satanic civilization. Omegia's a generic dictatorship, and Pwnzoria's..... Well, Pwnzoria's Pwnzoria. Nothing really compares to it.

Yes, and if I were to play this scenario, I'd be going AW with Erebia (and since you seem to use locked alliances, Pwnzoria and Omegia as well)... There will be no negotiation with Erebia, there will be no quarter given... They will be wiped off the map, every last trace of their evil will be eradicated, and Daniel, along with his palace will be burned to the ground and I will personally piss on the ashes!

Back when I was helping you out with the playground mod, you seemed like a decent enough person, but lately you seem to be developing a sick, demented streak, and I hope you grow out of it. :(

...Then again, it may be that I've seen the horrors of a real war against an enemy that WOULD use such vile methods that makes me sick just thinking about it.... Or it could just be that I'm not some kid straight out of high school who thinks that Pwnzoring everything in an orgy of violence and destruction is the ultimate in fun.

I beg to differ: Starting out as the smallest, weakest republic with the worst unit-lineup, yet somehow managing to kick the living crap out of the world's largest, most powerful empire, while bigger and better nations fail to do the same.... THAT is exciting.

I also completely disagree on the "evil is more fun" bull$hit... Evil is boring.. Nothing but raze, pillage and plunder. Being good takes SKILL and discipline to pull of right. Especially since most of the Art of War fits into a Neutral-Good frame. I'd rather make the citizens of the "size-20 city" my fanatically loyal subjects by carefully-crafted diplomacy and treating them nice after conquering liberating them than go on some vain-glorious orgy of violence.

Yeah, but civ3 really doesn't have a "Make the citizens fanatically loyal" mechanic. And I am very bad at roleplaying these games when I'm not writing a story at the same time, so I often tend to ignored such things.
Though, since I am playing Omegia, there is going to be much less "orgy of violence" and much more of the "treating them nice after conquering them". Omegia does not like to see potential additions to its economic labor force killed off. Which is why all my test games as Omegia ended up as me racing to try and capture all the Iustitian cities before Erebia could raze them all.

Yes, and if I were to play this scenario, I'd be going AW with Erebia (and since you seem to use locked alliances, Pwnzoria and Omegia as well)... There will be no negotiation with Erebia, there will be no quarter given... They will be wiped off the map, every last trace of their evil will be eradicated, and Daniel, along with his palace will be burned to the ground and I will personally piss on the ashes!

Well, you're in luck for when the scenario comes out. Every single civilization other than the three in the Triumvirate are locked in a total war with Erebia, and they're generally all good-guy types countries. I'll admit, after spending a while playing the evil civs in the scenario, playing as one of the good civilizations, and crushing the Triumvirate and their evil empires.... It is very, very satisfying.

Back when I was helping you out with the playground mod, you seemed like a decent enough person, but lately you seem to be developing a sick, demented streak, and I hope you grow out of it. :(

...Then again, it may be that I've seen the horrors of a real war against an enemy that WOULD use such vile methods that makes me sick just thinking about it.... Or it could just be that I'm not some kid straight out of high school who thinks that Pwnzoring everything in an orgy of violence and destruction is the ultimate in fun.

Oh, I was still sick and demented back then. But a playground is not the right place to hold an orgy of violence, so I had to keep myself in check.:D

Actually I'm not so sure about the fact that Civ III not having some kind of making the citizens fanatically loyal....

In my Age of Imperialism story, I've been kicking the British out of Africa, and even in cities that were ORIGINALLY British colonies, I'm running into minimal resistance and/or "Stop the aggression against our mother country" type of unhappiness... It's almost like the civ citizens are welcoming the liberation...

Oh, and from what you're saying about Omegia, you should probably change the name of the government from "Nihilistic Dictatorship" (which is basically what Nazism/Fascism was) to "Machiavellian Dictatorship," which is closer to what it actually is...

Edit: ALso, for the benefit of figuring out who is who on that mini map, are the civ colors assigned thusly:

Black: Omegia
Red: the evil cult of the damned
Gold: teh H4xx0rz
Light Blue: The Argio royalists
Orange: The Shinra Schripio corporation
DK Blue: The Iustian democrats
Green: The Japanese, er, Bhyu
Gray: The Catholic League, er Chrio

Last edited:
Actually I'm not so sure about the fact that Civ III not having some kind of making the citizens fanatically loyal....

In my Age of Imperialism story, I've been kicking the British out of Africa, and even in cities that were ORIGINALLY British colonies, I'm running into minimal resistance and/or "Stop the aggression against our mother country" type of unhappiness... It's almost like the civ citizens are welcoming the liberation...

Oh, and from what you're saying about Omegia, you should probably change the name of the government from "Nihilistic Dictatorship" (which is basically what Nazism/Fascism was) to "Machiavellian Dictatorship," which is closer to what it actually is...

Edit: ALso, for the benefit of figuring out who is who on that mini map, are the civ colors assigned thusly:

Black: Omegia
Red: the evil cult of the damned
Gold: teh H4xx0rz
Light Blue: The Argio royalists
Orange: The Shinra Schripio corporation
DK Blue: The Iustian democrats
Green: The Japanese, er, Bhyu
Gray: The Catholic League, er Chrio

Well, when I was considering the name for the Omegian government, I was torn between a bunch of stuff, like Laissez-faire Dictatorship, Benevolent Dictatorship, and a brief period of time where I was considering just calling it a Vetinari-ocracy, but eventually chose Nihilistic Dictatorship, as it matched the general nature of how the many freedoms and rights granted to Omegian citizens are not so much out of a feeling of goodwill from the government, but because of the belief that, since they'll all be dead within 80 years and there'll be a new batch of citizens, there really isn't any reason to waste the energy oppressing the people; and because the name has a more villainous tone to it (Making Omegia and Pwnzoria EVIL actually took up a significant amount of time. In the Facebook nations that this was based off of, Pwnzoria is actually quiet peaceful and pleasant, and Omegia is only morally ambiguous instead of being outright evil. I had to add in things like death camps and slave trade, because otherwise Erebia would be so far off the moral event horizon compared to every other nation that it would cease to make any logical sense. So you can blame the entire "Dark and Gritty" atmosphere on them)

And that's spot on for the minimap.

Omega,are the alliances locked or not?

Yes, alliances are locked.

Part III
Dominoes

Or: Will Omega ever actually get to playing the game?​

December 25, 2012
Omegian-Erebian Border

The black Omegian plane flew over the mountains that marked the border between Erebia and Omegia. Inside, Peter reviewed the files he had received from the Erebian generals. Their military was normally loath to surrender any information, but had relented in light of the situation. The emperor was pretending to sleep in the chair across from him. Peter put down the papers. "I've been thinking-"
"Good job. That is what I pay you to do, after all." Sean cut off, still not opening his eyes.
Peter continued as though he had not been interrupted. "We told the Pwnzorians that the war would be short and bloodless. Yet for Erebia, we implied it would last long enough for the casualties to rise into the millions."
"That's just a little thing we call politics." Sean said, as his lips began to turn slightly in the hints of what could be a smile.
"I understand that. I was just curious, which of these scenarios you've presented of the war you prefer."
Sean opened one eye. "Whichever results in me winning, of course."
Peter nodded. That was a sensible, Omegian response. "I have to still ask though, why the sudden need for gaining control of the Impact Site?"
Sean's voice took on a bright and cheery tone. "Would you believe me if I said it was because I have an unhealthy obsession with shiny objects?"
"Only partly, sir."
Sean closed his eye. "Fine then. Don't ask me that question until I've had enough time to think of another excuse. That is an order."
The only sound for a few moments was the engine of the plane as Peter waited to see if Sean would say anything more. When it became apparent the discussion had ended, he sighed and began to look over the papers inside the files again.

December 26, 2012
Fort Tallen-New Hongshou Defensive Line, Iustia

President Kari of Iustitia gazed at the long lines of fortifications from her vantage point on the hill. It was an impressive site; the bunkers and trenches weaved through the mountains, bristling with guns, artillery, and anti-air. And underneath, miles of tunnels and rail line that could quickly bring supplies to the front without interference from the air. It was second only to Erebia's Taunnhauser Gate Line that stood opposite to it as the strongest defensive position in the world. It's official name was "The Fort Tallen-New Hongshou Defensive Line", but Kari preferred to know it by the names given to it by the citizens of Iustitia. "The Line of Liberty". "Freedom's Defense". They were appropriate names. They divided the world. North of the Line, Iustitia and Bhyu, possibly the last bastions of freedom. South of it, tyranny.
Kari heard footsteps behind her. Yamato had stopped further back to discuss some of the mechanics in the Line, but was now catching up.
"From what I've seen, these defenses should be able to hold off whatever the Erebians attack us with." Yamato said as he reached Kari, skipping all formalities so he could discuss the business at hand. "My scientists are also working on a more automated targeting system we could use to enhance the anti-air and artillery defenses."
Kari nodded, forcing herself out of the trance she had been in looking at the defenses. "Bring some of your men here to work on that. Our reports show that Erebia does not have a very large air force at the moment, and the Omegian's is based on their southern coast. You should have plenty of time to modify the defenses before coming under bombardment."
Yamato wrote this in a notebook he had been carrying throughout the tour of the Line. Kari noticed he had been sketching in it. Some of the sketches were of the Iustitian defensive positions, with the Bhyu's prototype weaponry added on. Others were just of the landscape.
After he was done writing, Yamato closed the notebook and put it out of sight. When he spoke again, his voice was tinged with sadness. "I always hoped that I would be long dead by the time we had another war. Are you sure you can't threaten the Omegians with nuclear bombardment like last time?"
Kari grimaced slightly. "They'll know we're bluffing this time. We don't have a large enough stockpile to destroy the entire Triumvirate. And I'd rather not order millions of civilians to be uselessly killed."
Yamato nodded grimly. "We will fight, if we must. Much as my people hate war, we cannot stand idly by as Omegia devours more nations. Let us just hope that this war will be quick and bloodless."
"Yes, quick and bloodless...." Kari muttered. To her surprise, she realized she was smiling. Her voice gradually increasing with intensity, she continued. "Oh, yes, it will be quick! We will wipe Erebia and Omegia off the face of the map! The temples of Erebia will be razed, and I will personally see that Sean is dragged to his trial in chains!"
Yamato stepped back, almost as surprised as Kari herself was at that outburst. Kari wanted to go on, but contained herself. She could feel the emotions rising up in her. She wanted to scream in defiance at the dark clouds that always covered the sky above Erebia. For years, she had been forced to endure the presence of these countries on her southern border. The failed invasion of Erebia years ago had almost cost her reelection that term. As for Omegia....
It would be untrue to say that she did not hate Erebia. But she had grown used to facing adversaries similar to it, oppressive nations where the rulers seemed to be trying to crush all hope and freedom in its citizens. While these were usually not to the same scale or degree as Erebia, Iustitia had faced enough evil empires in its history to know how to deal with them.
Omegia was different. She had visited it, once. After Pwnzoria had drafted the treaty that had temporarily stopped Omegia's territorial ambitions years ago. She had done it as a sign of goodwill, in the hopes that through better relations with the country it could be encouraged to adopt more democratic practices. Emperor Sean had treated the entire thing as a joke. She could still remember some of the snide remarks he had said while giving her a tour of the country. "Yes, I must congratulate you on your successful liberation of the despotic kingdoms on your western border. From everything I've heard, you liberated the HELL out of them.", "Ah, here we have today's copy of the Omegian Times.... Of course, you Iustitians know everything about a free press, right? Oh wait, that's right! You go through it to make sure they don't contain any 'sensitive military or government info'. Silly me, forgetting something like that!", or "When was it you said you were going to grant self-governance to those places your country liberated a few decades ago? Oh, right, you didn't!"
He had even had the gall to give her a private tour of one of his Death Camps. "Much more efficient to have criminals work for society than your policies of just killing them or sticking them in a cell for the rest of their life, don't you agree?" He had known she wouldn't be able to convince the public to go to war just after the news of their treaty had been released. Even that nearly hadn't stopped her from just hitting the big red NUKE button upon her return to Iustitia.
But now it was time to end this, and remove those horrible red, black, and gold patches on her map. She was going to.... What was the phrase Sean had used? Oh, yes. She was going to liberate the HELL out of those countries.

December 26, 2012
The Grand Cathedral, Roma, Chrio

Quintian stood at attention in the large square in front of the Grand Cathedral. With him, standing in perfect ranks, stood the other soldiers of Legio XI. The hot Chrian sun beat down on him, making him sweat in his heavy, gray uniform.
Exiting the cathedral, Quintian saw the figure of Pope Parker III. In any other nation, the leader of the nation would have been greeted with vulgar cheers and shouts from the assembled soldiers. But the discipline men of Legio XI held their respectful silence.
As the pope began to speak, Quintian fervently listened to every word of the speech. God had sent down his meteorite as a punishment against the evils that were festering in the world! He had rained down his holy fire upon the devil worshiping Erebians, and their heathen friends! The island of Gaia, a sign of the greed and debauchery of Schripia and the Arigos, had been wiped off of the Earth! Yet in his infinite mercy, the Lord had chosen to spare his most loyal followers. Not one citizen of Chrio had died as a result of the impact! The only casualties had been the godless rebels on the western islands. And with all the nations of the world preparing for war, it was clear that this meteorite had been a sign from God for Chrio to again resume its Holy Crusade against the followers of Satan! God's Holy Army would sweep across the world, destroying all the infidels that were unworthy to inhabit it! The Erebians, the Omegians, the Pwnzorians, even the Schripians and Arigosians, all would be cleansed from the Earth!
As the pope finished speaking, he lifted his arms into the air. Only then did the soldiers break their discipline, and they all shouted in one, unified roar that seemed to shake the very earth they stood upon.

December 27, 2012
Main Impact Site

Smithy paid little attention to the newcomer on the construction platform that had been built over the Impact Site, so focused was he on the crane pulling up the fragment of the glowing rock from the sea. His expensive suit had been discarded in place of a workman's clothes and a hard hat. Occasionally, he would quickly exclaim instructions into a walkie-talkie. Only after the crane had safely placed the fragment down on the platform did he seem to realize his presence.
"Ah! Prince Arigo! I apologize, my attention was elsewhere!"
"Yes, I could see." Arigo sleepily said. There were bags underneath his eyes. "Still focused on these meteorites, hm?"
"Oh, yes!" Smithy's energetic movements stood in sharp contrast with the lethargic ones of Arigo. "Again, I must thank you for supplying me with the manpower necessary to construct this facility! We've finally been able to get a sample from the main meteorite. Bloody hard to do that, I'll admit. We had to use some of our new high powered lasers to actually cut through it, and even then, we were only able to get a relatively small sample. This stuff is harder than diamond, whatever it is!"
"Gaia." Arigos said after a yawn.
"What?"
"Gaia. That's what all the newspapers are calling it. Named after the island it destroyed."
"Hm... Gaia.... It does seem to be somewhat appropriate.... After all, our researchers all have shown that the areas around the impact sites seem to in general have experience a rapid and sudden increase in plant life...." Only then did he seem to fully notice Arigos. "My god man, you look terrible. Have you slept at all the past few nights?"
Arigos slowly shook his head. "I keep getting calls from the barons. They aren't happy with this war. They expect me to do something about it. As if I had the power to make Sean suddenly decide to not invade us."
Smithy sympathetically patted his friend's shoulder. "What will come will come. You've prepared sufficient forces for the war?"
"Yes. At times, I thought the barons would attempt an outright coup, but they've relented, and are supplying all the soldiers I need. We should be able to hold off an invasion, so long as-"
There was a roar in the sky, and a black streak flew by. Arigos quickly ducked down, looking to the sky.
"What was that?!?" He shouted.
Smithy's reply was calm. "Just an Omegian plane. They've been flying over in ones or twos ever since the lightning stopped. So far they haven't attacked."
There was a pause before Arigos spoke again. "How long do you think before they do attack?"
Smithy shrugged. "Not long now. There have already been a few small skirmishes between Erebian and Iustitia. Chrio has declared a Crusade against both the Triumvirate and, for some reason, us. The only thing needed for the whole thing to turn into a full scale war is for one of those Omegian planes to drop a single bomb."
They both watched the rapidly diminishing dot that was the Omegian jet. Smithy hoped it would be a long time before the bombs started falling....

December 28, 2012
Mu, Empire of Omegia

General Peter was the center of attention of the airport's control tower. The planes had all been fully refueled and armed. The pilots were ready. All that was needed were the orders to attack.
Peter's attention was centered on the watch he had on his wrist. It read 0659. He patiently waited for time to pass.
Peter gave a barely perceptible nod to the men in the control tower. They set out to work.
On the field, the Omegian Deathwing Fighters took off in quick succession, heading south towards Schripia. The war had begun.

I take it from some of Emperor Sean's comments that Omegia intends to let its "allies" pay the butcher's bill for the war, so he can waltz in and scoop up what's left....

Top Bottom