The game is sooo looooong on Marathon mode

Be that a good thing or bad thing, playing 'Marathon' game speed on CIV V is way more slow than CIV IV from a production standpoint. It takes forever for anything to build, including units (though having the ability to buy units/buildings is a good thing).

Does anyone else feel this way?

I'm about 500 turns into a huge/marathon game on an earthmap, 1000 AD. Still got elbow room.
It feels epic, even if it looks like Civ Rev.

Be that a good thing or bad thing, playing 'Marathon' game speed on CIV V is way more slow than CIV IV from a production standpoint. It takes forever for anything to build, including units (though having the ability to buy units/buildings is a good thing).

Spoiler alert: It's like that on normal mode too :mischief:

Yeah, I have only played on epic mode and even then, during Modern Age, it takes forever to create things. I don't think its low production since I can do things decently start to middle of game just fine.

I actually mentioned this in my "thoughts" thread. I always played Marathon in cIV, but my first try in ciV felt excruciatingly slow. That said, I didn't have a full grasp on just how abundant gold is in ciV, and I'm thinking when I finish my Epic German game, I'll go back and try Marathon with the Iroquois. It seems like the ability to more freely buy buildings and units is an intentional balance to slower production. I'm sure later turns in ciV Marathon will behave just like later turns in cIV Marathon, where everything noticably speeds up once you hit a certain threshold.

What about teching?
One thing i have always disliked is that i found teching to be too fast... even on the slowest game mode.
I have never liked the faster modes as you never really get to immerse yourself in the different time periods before you move on to a new one.

Teching is decent paced but it seems production is the big slow one. Maybe because were suppose to use gold to buy more units now?

I just finished a monarch/marathon/huge earth map with monezuma in only 10 hours. Production did seem a bit slow, but you have a handfull of units with over 1000 exp each you never really need new ones... ever. Tech pace seems fast, since I didnt really focus on infastructure untill the last 500 years or so and still got to rifles by 1500ish.

Assinating the last 3 capitals in around 10 turns coupled with abusing liberation of ghandi to beat a superior foe with just 2 land units and a few frigates also helped.

I'm playing on marathon. It is great; a really grand epic feel to it. Yes, it can be slow, but on a huge map so many little things are going on I always have something to do while waiting for that next building/wonder/tech/unit. Purchase costs are really high, but I can still occasionally afford stuff, especially with those barb camps popping up!
I think this game has great potential. I'm still in the BC's after what seems centuries! (oh, it has been!) I really like the way the developers have paced the game, more than in Civ IV.
I do miss religion and spies, however. They would provide extra activities when things seem a little bogged down.

In 3500 BC you started Stone Hedge and in 300AD you finish and it was a very high producing city type long?

I've always played marathon in past versions, but in my first game I quickly realized that I needed to drop down to epic so that I could learn the game first.

I have to disagree with gold being abundant. I hardly have any extra gold to spend (granted I'm keep up my influence with two city states). What is really annoying to me though is how expensive everything is on Marathon. 700 gold to rush an archer...give me a break, wtf. I'm loving this game so far, but I haven't found gold to be abundant, and I too think production is miserably slow, even if I am on marathon...I mean there is no reason in my highest production cities why it should take 35 turns to build a knight....that is WAY impracticable

Aye, it'll be modding time soon. The key will be to keep tech rates slow while picking up production.

I mean there is no reason in my highest production cities why it should take 35 turns to build a knight....that is WAY impracticable

35 turns......for a high level production city?

Is there ANY reason for why anyone would want to play on Marathon then? Besides staying on each era longer?

The key to modding game speeds is simple really, it was the first thing I changed:

Assets/Gameplay/XML/GameInfo/CIV5GameSpeeds.xml

Scroll down to standard, copy everything from dealduration to victorydelaypercent and paste it over epic and marathon's, and then set researchpercent back to 150 and 300 respectively for epic and marathon.

Might want to back this file up first in any event.

I like this extremelly long game

I modded Civ 4 to feel this way so its right where i want it

:)

Top Bottom