1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The game so far (an honest review)

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Dariush.Z, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dariush.Z

Dariush.Z Chieftain

First off hello everyone.

I used to post on the 2K forums but unfortunately, I didn't find the crowd there (which really isn't as big in anyway) really friendly to opposing views and after a while of having a couple of arguments I was finally deemed to be too much of a "incovenience" and ultimately censored.

Now why am I telling you this? Honesty.

I want those of you who saw me over there and are here to know I'm not making up a new identity and blend in again.

Please bear with me, If what I say isn't reasonable, call me out on it.

With that out of the way, lets begin.

My first real exposure to the game was the infamous screenshots first released and my first impressions were....disappointed.
    The colors looked off, everything resembled something out of a game from close to a decade ago. It looked like relatively improved visuals from Donald Duck goin quackers on PS1 back in 2000.

I immediately protested the decision to go this direction regarding visuals, it was extremely unsophisticated and lacking details for a game coming out on PC in 2016.

Until the first videos came out and I got my hands on the game and had a go with it.

I admit, the game doesn't look bad in anyway, it can even look beautiful and different if you play games such as Attila on the side as the contrast can be quite refreshing but ultimately as someone who's playing this on a 27 inch 4K IPS monitor you can clearly see how it's very light on details over all.

It's not detailed visual experience. Period. Yes you see more in this than in V for example but all it takes is to zoom and focus and you could see everything is just too simplistic.

So while it's not game breaking, this is a game that can very well be much more refined and detailed visually.

As for gameplay, I absolutely love how micro managing is such a big deal in this game, I however fail to understand the point of it when all the micro managing choices you make aren't as impactful as they need to be:

-The game requires you to take you time and build up your empire but then there is the initial rush for a prophet that takes all of your early game production and puts you back in science specially (unless you're Arabia or China "the wonder crusher").

Then you have to worry about other civs founding cities right next to your capital as the devs with their infinite wisdom have made everybody spawn within 9 tiles of you so unless you go "screw the future I'm gonna spam all over the place with multiple 25 percent capacities cities (which is what the AI does)" either you end up finding a city next to their capital or them.

Then you have the barbs which require you to have at least a numher of units as unlike the AI, they're too good in combat.

So my question to the dear developer is, how am I supposed to take advantage of the micro management system and empire customization when you keep forcing me to direct production early to mid game?

And then there's the AI which I presume is modeled after a kindergarden? I mean think about it.

Oh how dare you have a bigger pencil than me! You should die!

Believe me it's a good game but honestly, It's best part is it's audio. It can be so much more but one head scratching choice after another on their part just handicaps the experience.

Then you have the lame attempt at being a PC (politically correct) game. Gorgo, Medici, Tomyeris, is there anyone on god's green earth here that thinks these people were chosen for any other reason than their gender?

And oh, how is it that Persia isn't in a game labled "Civilization" and norway is? Where are the Ottomans?

Was it a marketing decision? This I can understand.

Overall, It's still an enjoyable game...just with a handicapped potential.

Thank you very much for your time, hope a developer reads this.

2. Farid

Farid Chieftain

LoL,

You know what I was found was funny? The neighbor AI player had 2 cities in exactly 10th turn at Emperor difficulty mode! How could it possible? In the same game, the AI rushed me in maybe 20th-25th turn with 3 warriors and 2 chariot warriors while I only had a warrior and two scouts :))))
    I think the AI is designed/programmed so brutal and insane at the beginning of the game. As the game being advanced and in more advanced eras, they turn into idiots. I can see while I am going to war with an AI, its units (even though they are more advanced than mine) are moving around the territory without making any damage to my units.

Like you, I also got surprised when I saw there were two leaders for Greece (Pericles and Gorgo) while the Persian empire was missing!!!

One more funny thing, you are always a warmonger even if the AI player starts the war.

3. narmox

narmox Emperor

It's possible thanks to the extra settler(s) that each Emperor and above AI Civ starts with..