The game spawns capitals too close to each other

snuggans

Chieftain
just started a match where me and 2 other civs were really close to each other, not surprisingly the Vikings declared a surprise-war on me on turn 50

Civ 6 programming seems to be doing this frequently and it's quite annoying and leading to early deaths of civs. Persia also took London which is nearby, 2 capitals already out of the game and it's early. i hope it gets taken a look at

In Civ IV it was usually expected if you wanted to have second or third wave expansion you'd need to wipe out a neighbor or two (barring some odd map generation). Seems like VI is the same way.

In Civ IV it was usually expected if you wanted to have second or third wave expansion you'd need to wipe out a neighbor or two (barring some odd map generation). Seems like VI is the same way.

Yes, even though I'm a peacemonger, I've gotten in the habit of annexing my nearest neighbor in the Ancient era so to have plenty of breathing room.

I'm still not seeing this in any of my games.

This is a vanilla screenshot and not sure what version it is. If you don't have the very latest patches and/or the expansion the only way to fix this is with mods.

I've just played on a huge map with fewer Civs and city states and this way it was fine.

Even with R&F I continue to do that. But has this been changed with the addon and I can bump up my CIV count without being crowded?

I see it occasionally now, but it's mostly my own fault. I pick the largest map, but I also add more Civs (16ish I think), and add a couple more city states. But it's defiantly better than it was back in December... when I literally spawned on top of the ai. It was a short game for Alexander...
SpawnBug.jpg

Slightly of topic: I would love it if they had bigger maps (particularly Civ V's Terra map). While killing time for R&F I revisited Beyond Earth, and the worlds seemed so much larger (particularly the distance between north & south pole).

Me neither, I am happy to say.

I've to say in the two R&F games I started, there was only room for a single city between my capital and my nearest neighbour. I was able to claim the spot first, but it was contested, and I had to suffer a little bit of loyalty loss. (Enemy capitol did not build settlers, so they were bigger in pop. size)

One of the neighbourghs was Shaka, btw, so my Ghandi game started with war. :s

Not to say my Ghengis game started with war too because Teddy and Tamar decided that joint war was still a la mode (yep, "keeping peace on my continent" Teddy joins joint wars against peaceful neighbours - I know I got the spot earlier, but it was on my side of the mountain range, and I was being peaceful, so Teddy should apply himself the Big Stick...). But in that one as Genghis, Tamar got the worst part, as I captured one of her cities (and Carthage razed other one of hers btw). I was thinking she was also too near me, with a lot of white borders depriving me of breathing space, but actually his capitol was far enough, and she had expanded only towards my direction (it was the easier growht path for her, in any case).

Last edited:
I see it occasionally now, but it's mostly my own fault. I pick the largest map, but I also add more Civs (16ish I think), and add a couple more city states. But it's defiantly better than it was back in December... when I literally spawned on top of the ai. It was a short game for Alexander...
View attachment 488291

Slightly of topic: I would love it if they had bigger maps (particularly Civ V's Terra map). While killing time for R&F I revisited Beyond Earth, and the worlds seemed so much larger (particularly the distance between north & south pole).

Terra at ludicrous size (200x100) with 33 civs and 28 city-states is great fun for me.
It might not suit anyone else's style, or the time they have to play, but that's their
bad luck. :smug:

Terra at ludicrous size (200x100) with 33 civs and 28 city-states is great fun for me.
It might not suit anyone else's style, or the time they have to play, but that's their

Bad luck that I don’t have a rig to run this effectively?

Would love to play a TSL game like that, though. It has always been the dream. :)

Bad luck that I don’t have a rig to run this effectively?

Would love to play a TSL game like that, though. It has always been the dream. :)
Sorry to hear that, Thormodr.

You need a GT970 graphics card at least, and about 8Gb RAM.
Ask Loki to disrupt Bitcoin more, and there will be a lot of graphics cards
on the market for a very low price. :)

I've noticed they are pretty crampy. I believe the algorithm was changed for R&F and base game (via patch), which was to layout the Civs first, then do a second pass to sprinkle the city states between them. This was supposed to spread them out more.

At any rate having them tighter makes for a more interesting game vis-a-vis Loyalty. No point to the system if the Civs are on different continents.

Oh...

Well, I have a GT960 and 24Gb of Ram on my ASUS laptop so I suppose it might run. :p

My ultimate dream is to get a 60+ inch 4K Flatscreen TV mounted on my wall and play Civ on it.

Anyway, off topic from the spawn problem.

No point to the system if the Civs are on different continents.

No point in the games you prefer perhaps.
It works fine for me playing against 33 other civs on 200x100 maps.

I did see one of Quills games on his online stream today spawn 2 enemies close to his capital (about 7 or 8 tiles). Strange it doesn't happen to me. Even my current Pangaea map with an extra civ added in is fine. City states were the only thing close. As for Quill's game, it didn't end well when he tried to take on Chandra early.

I did see one of Quills games on his online stream today spawn 2 enemies close to his capital (about 7 or 8 tiles). Strange it doesn't happen to me. Even my current Pangaea map with an extra civ added in is fine. City states were the only thing close. As for Quill's game, it didn't end well when he tried to take on Chandra early.

Hard to judge much from that game. With more experience he probably would have
played it completely differently.

I've just played on a huge map with fewer Civs and city states and this way it was fine.

Even with R&F I continue to do that. But has this been changed with the addon and I can bump up my CIV count without being crowded?
You can play with up to 33 other civs on ludicrous (200x100) maps. Plenty of room
for all those and 28 city-states.
That might not suit your rig, style or level of patience, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

* Nods in agreement *

I'm all set, bring it on!! :) Good video card & 32gb system ram.. However I rarely see any games use more than 8 gigs of ram (probably due to consoles).

On Topic
Game I started yesterday spawned 2 capitals close together...
Still Close.jpg

* Nods in agreement *

I'm all set, bring it on!! :) Good video card & 32gb system ram.. However I rarely see any games use more than 8 gigs of ram (probably due to consoles).

On Topic
Game I started yesterday spawned 2 capitals close together...
View attachment 488303

I count 8 tiles - I think it's been established on another thread that this appears to be the minimum distance between two capitals with the new algorithm. It seems uncommon, and it's a reasonable minimum - I can see at least one city spot the Khmer could have expanded to to the north (more if the Mapuche border I see wasn't an early city), there's a lot of space to the west and who knows how much to the unseen south and east.

I've usually been pretty far apart when playing with the standard number of Civs.

I often start close to another when I up the number of Civs and city states even by like 1 or 2 (I up both by 2 often).

Top Bottom