1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Gathering Storm expansion is 25% off on Steam. Should I buy it?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by 679x, Jun 26, 2019.

1. 679x

679x Warlord

This post can also serve as simply letting you guys know that the expansion is on sale, but I also want to hear what players of Gathering Storm think about the expansion. I already own Rise and Fall and all the DLC civs. At its default price tag, I figured I'd wait until a sale like this before I consider purchasing GS. And that time is here!

We've had some patches recently, and 4 months after its release, I'd like to know whether you guys would recommend the GS expansion. FWIW I already have a bit over 700 hours in Civ 6, though never found the late-game enthralling enough to finish most of the games that I start in Rise and Fall. It seems like GS tries to remedy that. I've also always quite liked the look of these new civs ever since they announced them.

What do you think?

2. pokiehl

pokiehl Emperor

3. 679x

679x Warlord

Hahaha thank you for your insightful reply!

Really, though, I'm already leaning toward getting it so I think I'll just do it. I've already got enough funds in my Steam to scoop it up. Thanks :thumbsup:

4. Red Adept

Red Adept Warlord

You should. I bought Rise and Fall earlier this year and after watching Potato McWhiskey's games, I bought GS when it went on sale 2 months ago. I certainly don't regret it.

5. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Yes!

6. vixlar

vixlar Chieftain

7. Timothy001

Timothy001 Prince

I pre ordered it. I don't regret it. I've had so much fun with GS, since its release. The latest patch, corrected some problems which were hanging around.

8. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Definitely. I hate playing a civ game without all the civs available. Plus the disaster system is interesting and (perhaps most importantly, and rather unfortunately) firaxis seems to only be putting balance patches out on GS and not previous versions

679x likes this.
  9. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

I am waiting for a sale for the DLC too. However 25% is questionable - I got RnF for 40 or 50% off I believe, like half a year after releasing.
    Maybeee :D

10. Cowhead

Cowhead Chieftain

You can get it on Fanatical for 35% off at the moment and an extra 10% of that with the code FANATICAL10, £20.46

11. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

I've been finding myself finishing more games since GS came out. If you are purely going for a win, then there is still plenty of "just click the next turn button and get this over with". But there is a lot more flavor to the late game. Building that perfect canal system so your navy can traverse around the world, building seasteads and offshore wind farms for super cities, rock bands and giant death robots all give the late game a bit more interesting to me.

Plus the new civs in GS are some of my favorites in the game. The new units make warfare in the mid-game more interesting and dynamic. New wonders and natural wonders. Disasters making super tile yields.

Yeah. It's worth it.

679x likes this.
  12. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Game's on sale. You're here, so you probably like the game. What's really at stake?

13. BenitoChavez

BenitoChavez Whispering Walrus

Around 30 dollars

14. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Get Civ 6 on Switch and play in the sun instead, it's summer.

15. jddods

jddods Prince

No it's winter. :)

16. Hammurabbit

Hammurabbit Warlord

There is a lot of content in GS, most of it improving the game (I'm looking at you World Congress) so I definitely recommend it.

17. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

Not until they put the expansions.

18. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

I doubt they will because of the limitations of the console, like screen space, but the pros are portability and more casual play because of less enhancements.