1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The General Police Brutality Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Cheetah

Cheetah Deity

I was wondering if I should post this, or if it's even something to talk about, so in the end I figured I could just try to start a thread dedicated to the general topic.

I'm afraid there will be lots of examples to put into the thread as time goes by...

So to start it:

Two (soon to be four) Bexar County deputies shoot to kill a man who is standing still and with his arms in the air. [Link]

Link to video.

What is most disturbing to me, is how... normal.. they act. They don't try to pretend that they are attacked, or shot while the guy is moving towards them. They shoot when he is standing still with his hands in the air! That speaks loads of a crazy internal culture in the police force... :(

I just hope that the "temporary" arming of police in Norway is discontinued before the police manage to kill someone. They've already managed to fire a gun while in the holster during a brawl! :cringe:

2. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

He's a Latino and he's coming right for us.

I love how they just let him lie there and bleed out, instead of even thinking of performing first aid. That alone should result in every single one of them being imprisoned for an extended period of time.

3. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I'm against police brutality myself (of course), or any brutality of any sort I suppose, but in that video I think I can see the guy trying to make a sudden move right before he is shot. If you make sudden moves in front of armed police in America, who also happen to be pointing their guns at you because of something you have done previously, or something they think you've done previously.. then sudden movements are probably going to lead to your death.

Maybe I'm wrong about what I see, because I'm not trained to respond to sudden movements of potentially dangerous people, and these cops do indeed seem a bit trigger happy, but.. I am pretty sure I can see him making some sort of a sudden movement right before he is shot. And that doesn't necessarily justify unloading a barrage of shots on him, but in some contexts it might be enough justification for a 2nd amendment inspired response by the police.

I don't see how he could have had enough time for reach for a weapon, but I think the cops are trained to in some situations respond to such sudden movements with deadly force.. cause you never know, as we all know from action movies there could be 2 knives taped to the back of his hand and he might just be able to ninja-like fling them at the cops in a split of a second or something like that.

So am I just seeing something that isn't there, or does he do something stupid that leads to them shooting him right before that happens?

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Veteran of 1000 psycic wars

While I agree with you, I challenge you to find a single example of law enforcement offering first aid after shooting someone. There is no way that gets them prison time, because that is apparently standard operating procedure.

5. Formaldehyde

The only movement he made was to put his hands up, which was probably by command. The police haven't made any comment that this was a tragic accident because one of their officers thought him doing so was misinterpreted as an aggressive act. His hands were actually completely raised and he was standing still when the shots rang out. So no, this is completely inexcusable and would have likely gone relatively unnoticed except for the bystander videotaping it.

6. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

I swear I can see him moving his hands away from their held-up position right before the shooting starts. His body shape starts shifting, or at least I think I can see something like that.

7. Formaldehyde

You mean him reacting to being shot? I don't know how far away the guy with the video camera is, but sound travels at 1100 feet per second. So if he is 100 yards away, it would take the sound of the shots more than 1/4 of a second to get to the microphone.

8. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

There are two issues with this video. The fact that he is moving in a suspicious manner right before the Police shot him which leads me to believe that he was either attempting to get to a weapon or just being out right stupid. Second, before the Police have him stopped he puts himself between the Police vehicle and the Officers which leads me to believe he wanted to either gain access to the vehicle to steal it or any other weapons inside the vehicle. Overall depending on exactly the reason for the movement before the shots are fired I would air more toward the Officers being justified.

9. Borachio

Borachio Way past lunacy

I couldn't make him out to be moving at all.

All I see is the guy put his hands up and one second later the police shoot him. And I only know this because he falls over just as if he's been shot.

10. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

The hands go down and he reaches just before the shot is fired.

11. Timsup2nothin

Based on what?

As previously mentioned, if you judge by the sound of the shot the guy is hit by the bullet before the sound covers the distance to the recording device. If you are basing this on something else please specify.

12. Timsup2nothin

For what it's worth "the hands went down and he reached," even if accurate, would not negate the possibility that he was following a command. I've trained myself to respond to "let's see some ID" with "so you can shoot me when I reach for it?" but that is not something most people do.

13. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

The distance is roughly speaking a quarter of a mile the audio-video would be nearly instant for human ears. How the hands go down and what he reaches for are also a good determination. He reaches for waist line, though you can not see where the shots hit him, it is reasonable to assume that at such a close distance the officer's hit him center mass as they are trained to.

This statement and the contempt for law enforcement associated with it is usually why Black people end up in negative confrontations with Police officers.

The correct statement in a situation in which an officer asks for id is

Moving only one hand and keeping it as clearly visible as possible with no sudden movements is also a good safety tip.

14. Formaldehyde

A quarter mile would actually be 1 second difference between the time of the shot and the sound arriving at the microphone.

And I like how he must have had a gun concealed in his waist band just like Trayvon Martin. Too bad Trayvon didn't have a nearby police cruiser he could also be trying to steal as an additional motive to execute him.

15. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

Criminals inevitably end up in jail or in a morgue. This one chose the morgue.

16. Formaldehyde

Criminal used to mean someone who wasn't surrounded by cops on his own lawn before they executed him for doing nothing.

17. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

Hes a criminal, just like all the rest! The Police have done us a service!

18. Bugfatty300

Bugfatty300 Buddha Squirrel

The guy dropping to the ground is virtually synchronous with the gunshots which would suggest that he was being hit while his arms were still up.

Then again, video and audio often don't match up perfectly and can be made worse by being converted and formatted by Youtube.

19. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I am another one who sees him move suddenly before he's shot. His right hand goes to the front of his abdomen, not to the rear, which it would if he were reaching for an ID.

CNN claims it has a second video, which shows him with a knife in his left hand, the one we can't see. :think: Only one out of ten people is left handed, so why is the knife in his left hand? And why does he move his right hand? Plus, if he's trying to attack the cops (a) he's too far away and (b) he's not moving towards them. His movement makes no sense.

Even if he ha a knife, there's no immediate threat to the cops. Are they just reacting to his sudden movement?

20. Colonel

Colonel Sandbox

The lethal range for a knife is 21 feet. The officers were well within that range. 21 feet is based on DOJ studies and what officer self defense courses teach.