The Genghis Demand==>Gift Exchange

50_dollar_bag

Imitation Louis Vuitton
A couple of times now I've had Genghis Khan come along and cautiously ask me for a small amount of coin in the form of tribute, after thinking a little bit I decided to give in as it wasn't that much (about 250 gold in a Marathon game) this turned him from cautious to pleased, nice. Deciding now might be a good time to go into the trade screen and have a look at what he had available I noticed he had a tidy sum of gold(770), "can I have that old buddy?" I asked, "sure" he replied.

I gained a diplomatic point and a 'friend' for -520 gold. :crazyeye:

If you send me 2 gold per turn for 10 turns you too can use this in you own CIV game.

It's a neat trick, but basically, his opinion of you changed from "cautious" to "pleased", making him more willing to give you a hand.

I'm not sure what the dynamics about asking for gold as a gift/tribute are. Tribute seems largely based on power comparisons, but the willingness of the AI to give you gold as a gift seems almost random.

do not rely on this tactic, in my experience it is about a 70% chance of not working, you often must give more than just a small amount of gold (units, tech, resources)

basically all you did was gain a +1 for complying with his request, and that +1 was enough to make him willing to give you that gold (that 520 gold gained would most likely have taken years to do), and if this is used enough they start to give some major -

do not rely on this tactic, in my experience it is about a 70% chance of not working, you often must give more than just a small amount of gold (units, tech, resources)

basically all you did was gain a +1 for complying with his request, and that +1 was enough to make him willing to give you that gold (that 520 gold gained would most likely have taken years to do), and if this is used enough they start to give some major -

I usually ask an AI for something as soon as I've given into their request and I've had a better than 70% success rate. On gold that is, never with techs.

If you're at pleased there is no negative modifier gained for asking for a gift.
I virtually always give into gold requests as I frequently ask friendly/pleased civs for gold, the positive modifier is worth it especially when I'll get the gold back eventually anyway.

well i got some message, can't remember what it is, but it was because i requested some gold (it wasn't a demand)

Never happened to me on Monarch, maybe it's different on Settler.

Sisiutil said:
I'm not sure what the dynamics about asking for gold as a gift/tribute are. Tribute seems largely based on power comparisons, but the willingness of the AI to give you gold as a gift seems almost random.

I received gifts when I've been top dog, and a weakling. Maybe it has something to do with AI personalities, for example it took 1000 years of 'pleased' with JC to get him to give me anything.

i wasn't on settler, it was at the point in time that i was seeing the difficulty levels, can't remeber which one i was one, but i barely made it to the industrial age

Top Bottom