The Global Foyer

Indiansmoke

Deity
Welcome to the Global Foyer

This thread will be the home of our Imperial diplomat. Our Imperial diplomat will be the voice of Merlot and the ONLY one who will have the authority to speak on behalf of the Kingdom of merlot.

Merlot has one voice to the outside world!

This is very important in order to have a clear, respectable, coherent diplomacy and of course to achieve best diplomatic results!

This thread will be used for diplomatic discussion and proposals and it will be moderated by the Imperial diplomat.

All the people of Merlot can and are encouraged to post here.

Your Imperial Majesty, fellow nobles of the court!

First of all, let me take this opportunity to thank His Imperial Majesty for granting me the trust of this position. I will endeavour to do the best job possible as the official representative of House Merlot to the outside world.

For the time being I do not think it will be neccessary to appoint any assistant for my tasks here (unless we of course assume that we already have contact with all the other nations even though we have not contacted them in game yet). At the point where we have established contact with the other houses, I believe it will be a good idea to have at least one person to work together with, to better gauge the diplomatic situations we might encounter. If anyone is interested in such a role, feel free to speak out.

I also believe it is important that everyone voices their opinions - with His Majesty's permission of course, which he has already so graciously granted. I will be more than happy to take different views into my consideration when giving my advice to His Majesty on our diplomatic relations and situations.

Sir Caledorn
Imperial Diplomat of House Merlot

Your Imperial Majesty, fellow nobles of the court,

May I be among the first to congratulate Sir Caledorn on his appointment as Imperial Diplomat of House Merlot. I also commend Sir Caledon on making himself available to his majesty, for royal and imperial service.

In addition to his formal soundings, I look forward to his anecdotes and tales from foreign courts in another chamber.

Your humble servant

Hercules

Congratulations, Sir Cal. I look forward to your delivering declarations of war to many soon to be defeated foes! :)

Thank you, my fellow Lords! I am looking forward, with much pleasure, to our first diplomatic contacts! Let's just hope we don't run into a major warlike power as our first contact..

Sir Caledorn
Imperial Diplomat of House Merlot

Thank you, my fellow Lords! I am looking forward, with much pleasure, to our first diplomatic contacts! Let's just hope we don't run into a major warlike power as our first contact..

Given the zeal, cleverness, and strength of the team assembled here under the bannor of the King I should think that they would rather not run in to us. :cool:

*removes some cobwebs and airs out the Foyer* Still noone here, and no work to be done .. Ah well .. Back to the library to read some more I guess. ;)

It seems we have met our first neighbour. Provolution from team Quatronia contacted me and asked for our email to send us an official greeting letter.

So Sir Caledron your time is up. I suggest you create a team gmail account and prepare a PM to send to Provolution with our contact mail.

Ah, finally!

Seems you were spot on in your feeling that diplomacy were upcoming and close, your Majesty!

I have created the email merlotdip@gmail.com for our diplomatic channels. I will send the logindetails to His Majesty in a PM.

A PM informing of this will be sent to Provolution immediately.

I have received our first official diplomatic contact, your Majesty, and my fellow Lords.

The letter we have received is as follows:

Greetings, Sir Caledorn of Merlot.

Our explorers have travelled far indeed to meet your people, and we are honoured to have done so.Our lands have silver, wheat and spices in abundance, and we hope that someday our peoples can engage in trading. What surplus resources do you possess? In the meantime, please bring these gifts of the finest Quatronian silver and grain to his Majesty King Indiansmoke.

We hope your great experiment in monarchy is going well, and that your serfs are not giving you any trouble. (If they are, try using more oppression.) We are happy to say that our democracy is functioning very smoothly right now.

Your exploring workboat will soon come to the lands of our neighbours, CDZ within 4-5 turns. We hope to someday see the shores of fair Merlot, how far will we have to travel to do so? We would also be interested to know if the reports of your scouts match those of our own as to the size and layout of the great continent; we have seen a land of vast peninsulas and bays. Have your people met any others besides us?

Our sages will soon (16 turns) be able to trade technological secrets with other nations. We hope our nations will be able to benefit from such a trade when that time comes. How is your research coming along?

Best regards, and long live King Indiansmoke of Merlot.

Ambassador CharlemagneXLII,
The Continuum,
Quatronia.

I will draft a reply to their Ambassador, and post it here before sending a reply to them!

Sir Caledorn

Team Quatronia brings us grave news indeed. Having Vikings as our nearest neighbours in a map like this is truly a precarious situation. I believe that it is in our best interests to try our utmost to have warm relationships with team Quatronia and subtly try to alert them to the danger the team CDZ poses to both of us.

Some good and some bad news...

Good news is that they have Alphabet soon so we will be able to trade.

Bad news is CDZ is near...

Sir caledron, I suggest you draft a warm diplomatic welcome letter to them, informing them of our resources and our intentions to trade and develope long lasting friendly relations.

My apologies - this has been a very busy weekend, so I haven't had time to sit down to write the reply yet. I will do so tomorrow (it's 3:30 in the morning here now, so going to bed), and post the draft here.

Here is my initial draft :

Warm greetings to you, Ambassador CharlemagneXLII of Quatronia!

The people of Merlot are truly honoured to meet your people, and we would like to state our good intentions and hope for a peaceful and mutually beneficial future for both our nations. In our lands we have been found wine, corn and gems in abundance too, and nothing would please us more than to be able to negotiate trade agreements with your people! My King offer his heartfelt thanks for your wonderful gifts of silver and grain, and offers gifts of gems and corn back to your people.

Our nation thrives under the leadership of His Majesty, King Indiansmoke I! His wisdom and benevolence is known all throughout our lands, and he is greatly loved by the people.

- More information needed. Here are the questions I need answered before finalizing the draft:

* How should we react towards Quatronia in regards to meeting CDZ?
* Where, exactly, did we meet Quatronia - I'm referring to their question of "How far will we have to travel to see the shores of fair Merlot?" - and should I offer the information in an approximate? Could someone with a more mathematical inclination provide me with an estimate? :please:
* Should we divulge the information that our exploration has given us the same match of what the great continent looks like?
* What should we divulge in regards to our research progress?

Sir Caledorn

Regardless of our plans regarding the vikings, letting outsiders know we expect conflict with them is like an invitation to make it happen.

Here is my initial draft :

Warm greetings to you, Ambassador CharlemagneXLII of Quatronia!

The people of Merlot are truly honoured to meet your people, and we would like to state our good intentions and hope for a peaceful and mutually beneficial future for both our nations. In our lands we have been found wine, corn and gems in abundance too, and nothing would please us more than to be able to negotiate trade agreements with your people! My King offer his heartfelt thanks for your wonderful gifts of silver and grain, and offers gifts of gems and corn back to your people.

Our nation thrives under the leadership of His Majesty, King Indiansmoke I! His wisdom and benevolence is known all throughout our lands, and he is greatly loved by the people.

- More information needed. Here are the questions I need answered before finalizing the draft:

* Where, exactly, did we meet Quatronia - I'm referring to their question of "How far will we have to travel to see the shores of fair Merlot?" - and should I offer the information in an approximate? Could someone with a more mathematical inclination provide me with an estimate? :please:
* Should we divulge the information that our exploration has given us the same match of what the great continent looks like?

Sir Caledorn

Nothing more than than what you wrote should be said in this welcomming letter, no talk about CDZ or any talk about the land in this letter. Just add that we are open to work together by exchanging resources as well as techs (remember they did not give us any gifts,just mentioned they had these resources).

Also regarding the turns, just add that "your workboat is just a few turns away from our borders"

* Where, exactly, did we meet Quatronia - I'm referring to their question of "How far will we have to travel to see the shores of fair Merlot?" - and should I offer the information in an approximate? Could someone with a more mathematical inclination provide me with an estimate? :please:...

* Should we divulge the information that our exploration has given us the same match of what the great continent looks like?...

Not sure the first point is absolutely necessary, them giving us knowledge to where CDZ is can surely be doubled to approximate where they are.

Maybe we tell them how far till our border, they'll find it soon enough anyway - they were spotted in-game just before the whale so a turn later they have rounded the bend, maybe as far north as the whale.

Looks like we're on Monarchy. Monarchy for Alphabet isn't too bad a trade though the value of Alphabet can be circumstantial. Are we willing to slip a trade in to CDZ behind Quatronia's back? Should we look to ally against CDZ with Quatronia long term? Should we try and barter for another tech with a Mon. for Alpha + _____ trade?

Edit: X-Post

I think we should wait until meeting CDZ with any commitments - after all, it's supposed to be just a few turns, and should give us a better picture. Keep in mind Quatronia might already have some agreements with CDZ.

Top Bottom