The Glory of the Tsardom [DoC]

Bair_the_Normal

転輪聖王
Hello mates on S&T! None of you probably know me all that well yet, but that's okay. A brief history of my time here. I've been lurking since around mid-2009-ish, but only recently joined. I am a lurker at heart :p

So, if you are expecting a story of epic proportions accompanied by amazingly skilled gameplay... then prepared to by disappointed. Severely. I lack any sort of skill at DoC, and my typical writing style is very vague, something that wouldn't be good for this type of thing. However, I will try to accomplish the whole point of a story, to entertain.

The Glory of the Tsardom is, obviously, a DoC Russia game. I've only played to 1027, but I don't expect to survive the Mongols. However, I hope that you will enjoy!

So! Without further ado, let's dive right in!

EDIT: Oh yah, I almost forgot to give you a look at the settings! Stupid me.

Spoiler :

I haven't tried Russia on DoC yet, but I would imagine that it
involves raising Levies/Pikemen at maybe (2-4) each city ASAP.
Anyways, good luck and I'll be subscribing.

To Tomorrow's Dawn: I've never tried it either! :p First time will hopefully work, but I have an awful tech rate right now, and things are generally going poorly. I can't even imagine what will happen when the Mongols get their free stack right in my borders...

860 AD. On the plains near the Moskva River. A first meeting of four tribes from the area we now know as Russia occurs. A motley crew of Slavs and Khazars, it comes to no surprise that the steppes of Russia posed no real threat to the "great empires" of Holy Rome, France, and Spain to the South. Heck, their only binding factor was the (relatively) common religion of Orthodoxy. But in this year, that all changed as the decision was made by these chieftains to form a coalition of tribes under one single leader, or to them, duke, the great Rurik of Novgorod. First ruling? To build real cities on their former tribal locations.

Spoiler :

Sometimes in a nation's history, we all know, things can go wrong. This was one of those things. Apparently, unruly tribesmen down south, with their leaders off on the Moskva, formed an independent nation of their own.

Spoiler :

In the same year, relations were opened up with the fellow Orthodox nation of Persia, also known as the Neo-Babylonian Empire (1). Open borders were requested and achieved with this archaic, great, and most importantly, collapsing country.

Spoiler :

A few years later, those southern tribesmen acknowledged the superior presence of those good old tribes from the Moskva, and their old capital city, Tyras, became the Slavic capital of Tiraspol. Incidentally (or not), that was the same year that the former "Tsardom of Russia" officially became the Duchy of Muscovy, named in accordance to the first meeting location of the forefathers of the nation. A group of ceremonial warriors armed with axes was commissioned as the official Guard of the Duke, while a group of archers became the Tiraspol City Guard.

Spoiler :

A happening year, the year after was when the old Khazar tribes found their way to a bend in the Don River and got down to settling, while other Khazar horses were sent south-west to conquer what they could. A slight damper on the situation, however, was the official meeting of Barbarossa, the King of Germany, and Rurik the Great, Duke of Muscovy. Two soon to be great powers, meeting for the first time. What will happen next? What are those horse archers for down in Europe? And more importantly, why is Bair so bad at this game?

Spoiler :

Author's Notes: (1) When I looked at the diplomacy screen with Persia, I saw that Parsa was available for trade, so I took a look at WB. Sure enough, their capital was Babirush/Babylon.

Sorry for the short update, but it's ten at night and I have a long day today. Normally I wouldn't be sleeping for another hour or so, but oh well. Anyways, I sincerely hope you enjoyed, and see you next time on The Glory of the Tsardom!

Subbed! I am afraid to say this, but it looks like a promising story.

looking good, looking good, and btw, you're better than me, so you got that going for ya.

Well, at least Lenin wont lead crusades out of Moscow...
He'll still lead crusades come time anyways.

Subscribed, and I must say you're doing better than I'd have been at that point :lol:

Bad playing is an essential part of S&T ;)

Spoiler :
Italy the country, or Italy the civilization?

All right-y folks! Here's another update. Cheers!

A "small" horde of horse archers attacks the post-Roman outpost of Castrum Clus. Situated in the Carpathian Mountains, the attack of Castrum Clus proved to be an exceptional encounter. The odds were thought to be against the simple horse archers trying to attack a relatively ably defended city, but succeed the Russians did. (1)
Spoiler :

Burning down the miserable border city and incorporating some of its former lands under the administration of Tiraspol, the kind horde of horsemen moved west, empowered and emboldened by the easy and rich victory. Mild complications with southern tribes, however, did impede the horsemen.
Spoiler :

In what was seen to be an extremely foolish move, Rurik traded the secrets of the Russian feudal society in return for a small lump sum of gold and the trick to making a sail that could withstand the open seas. (2)
Spoiler :

Later that year, the insatiable horsemen, looking for more wealth, find a possible target in an independent Balkan Kingdom, as well as a large Persian army.
Spoiler :

A government "picked" spy is sent to attempt to either sabotage the Germans, or to find out more about their current endeavors. Meanwhile, our friendly tribesmen were sent to tail the larger and more advanced Persian army into the Balkans.
Spoiler :

Years later, an Indian scout travels through Constantinople and northwards to find a(n) (un)pleasant surprise. As it appears, the unification of Eastern Russia came as a shock to the supposedly more civilized people of India. However, the Indian leader of the time, Asoka, proved to be a very lenient and trusting leader, inviting Russian emissaries into the westernmost Indian territory of Artacoana. However, the most important aspect to the kindness of the Indians was their trust in foreign trade. Again, the Russian feudal system was traded, but this time for a formal calendar and the unique Buddhist meditation rituals, incorporated into new Orthodox monasteries across Russia.

Spoiler :

876 AD. Trade between Caricyn and Tiraspol opens from the Don River to the Black Sea, while the veteran horsemen from the battle of Castrum Clus teach their decendants decent maneuvers against the axes and spears of the west.

Spoiler :

880 AD. French scouts come from the west. Supposedly, they stayed as respectable guests in Tiraspol. That is, until they started denouncing every Orthodox custom in favor of their own Catholic ones, starting Russo-Frankish relations on a bad foot. An official "declaration of war" was sent to the Balkan Kingdom, basically allowing the horse archers to cross the Balkans west. No real attacks were planned, it seems. At last, the founders of the Duchy, the Novgorodians, officially incorporate the surrounding areas of their once small city of Novgorod into the Duchy. Similar to the French, yet another "civilization" from the North was found, but this time tensions were already high...

Spoiler :

Author's Notes:
(1): Yep, gotta love our free barb kills
(2): AYE AM TEH STRONGEST (and stupidest...)

So that's all for now! See you next time, on Chapter Three of The Glory of the Tsardom!

Top Bottom