The Glory that is Rome

SkippyT said:
Very early war - Huayna [Quechua, Aggressive]
Early war - Julius [Praetorian, Organized/Expansive]
Middle age war - Napoleon [Musketeer (THEY ARE GOOD!), Aggressive/Industrious]
Industrial war - Cathy [Cossack, Finincial]
Modern war - Otto [Panzer, Expansive]
Future war - George [Finincial/Organized (more money) and easier to make a big army]
Peaceful builder - Mohi [Fast worker, Spiritual/Industrious]
Your-enemy-declares-war-on-you-situation - Monty [Spiritual: switch to Theocracy, Police State and Vassalage in 0 turns and Aggressive]
Good list. But you missed Elizabeth and her Redcoats, who are as awesome in the Industrial Era as Cathy's Cossacks, in my opinion. Liz is also Financial, like Cathy, and Philosophical rocks, because GP are so much fun--they're like the prizes they used to put in boxes of cereal. :D

Yes, Liz is my second favourite leader--after Caesar.

yea defending axeman will kill rome's UU, unless use of catapults, the praetorians should be stronger vs melee. axeman sort of barbaric, rome killed barbarians for the most part

SkippyT said:
Very early war - Huayna [Quechua, Aggressive]
Early war - Julius [Praetorian, Organized/Expansive]
Middle age war - Napoleon [Musketeer (THEY ARE GOOD!), Aggressive/Industrious]
Industrial war - Cathy [Cossack, Finincial]
Modern war - Otto [Panzer, Expansive]
Future war - George [Finincial/Organized (more money) and easier to make a big army]
Peaceful builder - Mohi [Fast worker, Spiritual/Industrious]
Your-enemy-declares-war-on-you-situation - Monty [Spiritual: switch to Theocracy, Police State and Vassalage in 0 turns and Aggressive]

And you can put Cyrus right before or after Julius. This is dependant on horses, but the Immortals are excellent early units.

As said above - my mistake on playing yesterday with Cyrus was backing down... Hoping for a more peaceful victory - until the AI railroaded me, anyway. I guess I should have made one more solid ally other than Egypt early in the game.

But - I had horses before my nearest neighbor (Julius) had Bronze or Iron - unlucky for him as the Immortals just walk all over archers, easily...

I decided to leave him with 2 cities (to my 8-9) and even gifted him back Rome, just to keep him viable in the game. He refused to give me anything at all - he was quite defiant, even with my empire growing to 6 times his size (we were both the only 2 civs on this one particular island). Eventually, I had to finish him off - but this drawn out plan ended up costing me too much in tech and I started falling too far behind by 1700 AD or so. So - if you're gonna use these Civs who excel in the early ages - don't be timid :king:

I found immortals are even good vs. Longbows - take into consideration how outdated they are by this point - but against a single promoted Longbowmen, they can hold their own.. (again, you're gonna lose more Immortals than the enemy does longbows - but consider the cost differance too - I can make 4 Immortals to an opponent's 1 Longbowmen).

I think I might try Julius though... I prefer a period of peace and build-up before I go to war, but I have to admit - the cultures that can conquer early have a quite huge advantage.

Personally I love the Romans but I do think that the Navy Seal is a bit undervalued (granted it comes soooo late). I watched (on a future start) Washington just absolutely crush Monty with seals and artillery. Ah good fun. I wish the Romans had a second late game UU.

Top Bottom