1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Golden Circle

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by Sanotra, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

According to the Freemasons, the Golden Circle refers to an attempt to create a unified plantation civilization in the Caribbean world or Latin America. After America achieved independence from Britain, division simmered in the country which would inevitably lead to the Civil War. The southern slave states which would eventually become the Confederate States of America (C.S.A.), were slowly losing representation in the House of Representatives and in the Senate. The cause for this was the addition of new "free" states such as California, and the growing population and abolitionist movement in the north. The North started to gain a majority in the House and Senate, and the interests of the slave-holding South was losing representation. In order to combat this trend, a covert group of southern Freemasons known as the Knights of the Golden Circle, wished to increase southern representation in the legislature by convincing the populations of different Caribbean nations/colonies to join the Union. They had big aims and goals. They envisioned a sort of trade empire among all of the like minded plantation owners in the Golden Circle, and hoped to gain large areas of land for the cause. With new slave states joining the Union, the plantation owning minority would achieve more representation.

[Below from Wikipedia]
    The Golden Circle was to be centered in Havana and was 2,400 miles (3,900 km) in diameter. It included northern South America, most of Mexico, all of Central America, Cuba, Haiti/Dominican Republic and most other Caribbean islands, and the American South. In the United States, the circle's northern border roughly coincided with the Mason-Dixon line, and within it were included such cities as Washington D.C., St. Louis, and Pittsburgh of the US, and Mexico City and Panama City (and most of those countries' areas).

Obviously the Knights were unsuccessful in building their "Golden Circle". With the death of slavery in the Civil War, plantation society in the South collapsed, and the abolitionist movement succeeded in disenfranchising plantation owners throughout the New World. It would do the reader well to check all of his sources, and verify content, but the reading of this subject is indeed interesting to all those intrigued by pre-Civil War and post independence politics.

But moving on to the point of this thread...

2. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

I am making a map, and it's name will be The Golden Circle. This thread is an introduction to the map, to build excitement and/or generate interest. The map will be a fairly large 150wide by 128tall tile map (albeit with a lot of water). You can see (below) it is a fairly large map, and should be interesting to play on.
    Spoiler :

Now the map that I am making, pictured here, contains some area which is not truly within the Golden Circle, such as New York [Long] island, and almost the whole of Mexico.

In the image below, I have mapped out proposed or potential start locations for European nations. I have color coded them. Please tell me which colored locations best suit your interests. :) Notice how all locations are on the right side of the central white line. This is because any Europe plot west of that line turns into a Pacific plot and effects game mechanics. That fact is a bit of a disappointing insight into the shortcomings of our World Builder.
    Spoiler :

3. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Over 60 views and no comments?? I can stop working on this map if nobody is interested I suppose.

4. raystuttgart

raystuttgart Civ4Col Modder

Simply create the maps you like to create. :thumbsup:

5. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

6. Androrc the Orc

Androrc the Orc Emperor

Sounds interesting :) What exactly are you intending to do though; a map or a scenario?

7. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

A map first. Scenario might come later.