The Goths for VP

What's the joke concerning the Goths in AoE? I never played it.

Hopefully we avoided any bizarre tropes?

AoE2 Goths stereotypes :
  • Can't build walls
  • Infantry spam
  • Immunity to archer attacks (huskarls)

So they’re basically the AoE equivalent to civ 5 Zulu? I guess by simply having a non-barracks unique building and a mounted UU, we broke the mould

now I’m looking at Humankind’s goths, and we’re pretty scarily similar to that design :p

I played up to turn 169 so far. I have 28 grave goods and I have only built 13. I am blasting past this resource requirement; it's not a concern at all.
10 from the Gulthsmitha UB
3 from city conquest
2 from tile pillage
13 from barbarian clearing

So, I hadn't figured Barbarian clearing would become such a huge source of Grave Goods, perhaps I had a pretty a-typical roll.

What are some thoughts people have on how we can make the resource requirement "hurt" a bit more?
Here is what I am thinking right now:
Increase the resource requirement for the Stainskip to 2 Grave Goods each
1 Grave Good from barbarian clearing and the UB
1 Grave good for every 25:c5gold:gold pillaged from tiles (down from 50), scaling with era.
2 Grave Goods for capturing a City.

In effect, the rate for Grave Goods from going to war with major civs is unchanged, but the ability to build stainskip from the UB and from Barbs is cut in half.
At that rate, I would still not have reached my resource limit, but I would only have room for 1 more Stainskip, not 15.
Thoughts?

I believe if you just ignore barbarian clearing (so easy to achieve), the number of grave goods will depend on war success.
The problem with just removing barb clearing is that the Goths would have to win wars very early in order to build their improvement when it unlocks. Ideally they would at least be able to build 1-2 when the Stainskip is made available.
I contemplated removing barb clearing and just giving the goths a starting number of Grave goods, but that seemed boring.

Thanks for offering new PIs!
Unique PIs:
Thervingi (+15%:c5strength:CS in Rough Terrain. 25% Damage Reduction from Cities)
Reinforcements (+10% from flanking. +15%:c5strength:Strength against a unit for each attack it has already taken this turn)

Tried the Goths for 100 turns or so but could not load my save game: dependancy missing.

I think there's a check about the missing DLL that denies the normal loading process.

Easy to reproduce: start a game with Goths, save, exit Civ 5 and try reloading.

Interesting civ so far.

Great work !

It will be fixed in official version, to come out with the next DLL release

theGoths_PI_show2.png
theGoths_PI_show.png

Goths are now complete. Link on OP is updated.
  • Reworked Grave Goods mechanic to Loot
    • Grave Goods renamed Loot
    • now receive 2 Loot for city capture and 1 Loot for every 25 gold pillaged, scaling with era (down from 50)
    • Stainskip now require 2 Loot to build
    • Gadrauht can now be built with Loot
  • Gadrauht CS lowered to 17 and cost increased to 100 (same as base sword)
  • Newer voice lines by @Hinin, with additional consultation for accuracy from Hrothiland
  • unique promotion icons, courtesy of @Asterix Rage
  • Free Golden Age now scales with Game speed
The Goths can be played with full code compatibility with this custom DLL and updated TopPanelLua file, courtesy of @HungryForFood
  • replace your CvGameCore_Expansion2.dll in Path.../(1) Community Patch
  • replace your TopPanel.lua in Path.../(6a) Community Balance Overhaul - Compatibility Files (EUI)/LUA

Attachments

• CvGameCore_Expansion2.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 52
The only actual problem I'm still seeing is the fact the Langskip UI still shows the black square around it (plus this bizarre black line in the right half of the square), is a bit too high (and so terrain is elevated within the square, especially in Plain tiles) and grass is always under it (so on non-grassland terrain it is quite strange to look at).

See the picture about it I've already put page 1 for an example.

View attachment 586822

The elevated surface I can't do anything about. the "height" on that is already supposedly set to its minimum value

I plan to smooth out the greenery to the hump in the center and make it start inside the rocks. There has to be some transition there, or else the green hump in the center will look out of place on everything

The elevated surface I can't do anything about. the "height" on that is already supposedly set to its minimum value

I plan to smooth out the greenery to the hump in the center and make it start inside the rocks. There has to be some transition there, or else the green hump in the center will look out of place on everything

Sry to bother you with this, but it's the last unpolished part of the mod, so I wanted to point it out.

Why do you think the black square keeps appearing ? There must be something to do here.

Also, do you see the black line going from the right part of the Langskip to the upper-left face of the black square (it's visible repeatedly on the picture) ?

N.B. : I'll take a look at how all Alaric lines fit with the animations in the next days, so that I can maybe try to correct the few short ones where there are still big differences.

Improvement consume resources but can create improvement even if you have just one loot resources.

Improvement consume resources but can create improvement even if you have just one loot resources.
so it is consuming 2 resources correctly, but if you have 1 resource you can still build?
Do you get 0 or -1 resources if you build then?

Oh good, so it's still playable. That just means you can just get slightly ahead of your count, but you can't exploit it at least.
Also, do you see the black line going from the right part of the Langskip to the upper-left face of the black square (it's visible repeatedly on the picture) ?
That is also part of the height map, but that at least I think I can fix easilly enough

Oh good, so it's still playable. That just means you can just get slightly ahead of your count, but you can't exploit it at least.
That is also part of the height map, but that at least I think I can fix easilly enough
and....next STAINSKIP.......-3.

Last edited:
Nope.......
Also in your files should add
UPDATE CustomModOptions SET Value = 1 WHERE Name = 'EVENTS_UNIT_ACTIONS';
GameEvents.UnitPillageGold.Add (Foederati and LOOT from pillaging) not work without......

Cannot reproduce. my workers cant build stainskip until i have 2 Loot:
upload_2021-2-24_16-54-6.png

You have to download the DLL from this post

After you have some resources, at the second improvement ?
I'll try again. I had dll but I didn't have the EVENT_UNIT_ACTIONS activated.

Top Bottom