The Govenor

Lostman

Thread Killer
What do you guys do with your Governor? Do you let him run the show or only certain areas in your cities?

I let mine manage the mood of my citizens. Is that a good/bad idea?

I manage my own cities in the early game, then let the govenor do the work later. It's important to give the govenor detailed instructions (like I want production here, food there, et cetra) or you always get sub-optimal results.

I never use the govenor to manage production!

I've found that the governor does some really stupid stuff. Even when I tell him (or her) what to emphasize, it still doesn't do it as efficiently as possible I've found. All of the good ideas must be tied up in committee......

Another question along these lines....all of those stupid questionst he governors make: can I assume the AI governors are making the same dumb mistakes in their own cities? I'm sure it would give Zouave a go if someone could prove that the governor provided to the human player is "dumber" than the AI governors. :nono:

Now that I think about this some more, I'm getting a little p*ssed. If you went under the assumption that the advisors/governors provide suggestions along the same lines that the AI would recommend to itself, there would be whole navies of AI Privateers floating around. Has anyone ever seen one? Not me.

Obvious conclusion: Humans are being tricked. :aargh3:

agree with SirJethro. ive never seen an AI privateer but as soon as i get to the modern age thats all my govs want to produce. very annoying.

i usually use govs late in the game to make sure that all my tiles are worked when pollution is cleaned and to manage moods.

Originally posted by MadHatter
I sure wish there was a way to automate workers to JUST clean pollution...

Shift-P.

I only use the governors to manage happiness. I usually turn the governor off in wonder-building cities, though, to micromanage and maximize production to get the wonder built sooner.

I tried using them to automate citizens moods, but I was never happy with the tiles they chose for the working citizens. I couldn't get it to manage the citizens moods but let me change which tiles were being worked at the same time.

Am I missing something?

Its really a whole lot easier to use the governors. I set them to only manage citizens moods. One problem here is that you tend to ignore the mood of the citizens this way. Once my whole country went into revolt because I didn't notice how my cities were filled with entertainers and war was starting to wane on the populous.

Another problem is that you have to tell the governors not to build wonders or small wonders - even if not using the governors. Once I had a Forbidden Palace produced about eight squares from my capital because I didn't notice that the Governor has started building it after a unit was produced.

I stick the governor's head on a pike outside the city's walls.

Governors managing happiness are vital if for no other reason than it prevents you from having to step through all your cities one by one to see if they are about to grow and go into revolt.

Say you have a 4 city with 1 happy, 2 content and 1 unhappy, and next turn the city grows. If you don't have a governor managing moods, you lose a turn of production when the second unhappy person comes aboard and the city goes into revolt. If you have a governor, the governor will take someone off working a square and leave you with 1 happy, 2 content, 1 unhappy, and an entertainer.

Now you just have to look at the F1 screen and keep an eye out for entertainers in cities.

There are times when I turn off a governor when I see a particular project that I must have within a certain amount of turns, and I'm willing to sacrifice city growth or even starve population to get it done sooner. As long as you only have one or two of those cities to manage, you can keep the game going at a good clip without too much micromanagement.

When I turn off a governor to try and fix his mistakes, I'm often surprised to find that the governor was absolutely correct, and adding more shields will just give me more corruption. Governors favor food and city growth, even when you tell them to emphasize production. I pretty much set my default to "Manage Moods" and "Emphasize Production" and then control all unit building myself. Makes for a speedier game.

--Yelof

After a while though if you take the time to learn how to manage the moods yourself, you get a feel of when cities are in danger of falling into disorder. You begin to know with how many luxuries you have and how many happiness improvements when things could go into disarray.

Often, since I always leave a unit unfortified in a city, as I bounce around the map between unfortified units, I'll notice when a city has grown. You have a one-turn grace period to make an adjustment.

It's not perfect and I'll still miss a city from time to time, but I find it preferable over letting the AI manage my cities.

I usually start out with the governors off, and gradually switch cities to Manage Citizen Moods (MCM) as my Empire grows, while retaining personal control of unit/improvement construction. If I go to war as Republic/Democracy, MCM in all cities (except possibly one or two working on wonders) is essential to away those moments when half you civ riots due to WW (the US gov't obviously missed to check that box during Vietnam ...). Then it only remains to watch out for the point when cities start to starve due to overabundance of entertainers.

Top Bottom