The great CFC chain letter: around the world in 80 days!

Yeah, I think where possible the hops should all be within the same country (or Schengen area or whatever, where appropriate), to minimize the cross-border shipping (with its potential customs issues, too) and where a country has internal region-based shipping prices (i.e. the US), better to go west-to-east or vice versa. Boundless and I have already volunteered to handle the out-country shipping from our respective countries.

This. Tbh, I can't really afford a cross-continent postage bill, but I'm sure someone from the UK crew will be happy to pay for it. If necessary, I would be happy to chip in some, but sending it around the world multiple times just isn't financially viable for some of us.

Neither can I, I can only afford to send to someone in the UK, overseas is way too expensive (I'm still a student so don't earn an income).

EDIT:
Boundless and I have already volunteered to handle the out-country shipping from our respective countries.

Oh, that's alright then. I'll be happy to chip in a few bob. Cheers, Boundless!

As I said in the OP, the order will be to minimize transport costs -- once the package hits the UK for example, every UK poster will receive it before it's mailed out of the UK. I also asked for, and got, volunteers to bear the extra cost of transcontinental shipping.

However, when I was looking at Royal Mail prices, shipping to North America isn't cheap (it was like 3 times the price to mail UK to Canada than it was to mail Canada to Australia). When I know the package weight / dimensions I'll post them.

As an update, one of the members partaking in this -- who happens to be insanely generous, beyond words really -- has offered to subsidize postage up to 200 dollars when it's prohibitively expensive. Please note that you should only contact me about this if you actually cannot afford postage for the next hop.

I wonder if it would add too much to the postage to include a few pieces of notepaper, so we could write a sentence or two of greetings to each other.

I wonder if it would add too much to the postage to include a few pieces of notepaper, so we could write a sentence or two of greetings to each other.

I guess not, but I might be wrong.

About notes, I'd think not. And if it did raise the price, it would be quite minuscule. I think I'd include a small note book. If people want to send a small token to the next poster, that's also fine -- after all, that extra weight is paid for by the sender.

Small packages domestic US Mail is really pretty cheap. And a number of us are in (relatively) close proximity. So those hops will be only a couple of bucks.

If you don't include notepaper, I'm sure it'll find its way into the package anyway. :) A notebook is a good idea. And I think including silly little trinkets for the short hops is a great idea, I intend to.

Whoever sends it back to the US should include anthrax and/or cocaine and a copy of the Quran

That's not very funny. :huh:

Well, your mummy isn't a member here, is she? Unless you mean your real mummy, 'cuz you are really undead...

Look at it another way - you want somebody to be arrested for terrorism or drug smuggling? NOT A GOOD IDEA.

Whoever sends it back to the US should include anthrax and/or cocaine and a copy of the Quran

That's actually better than my idea, I was going to send it to the UK with some ammunition - I know you folks find it tough to find any over there. :lol: (except I'd be paying for shipping lead; an expensive practical joke in any case :( )

Top Bottom