The Great DoC 1.9 UHV Challenge

What is your aim going to be, when you are not aiming for UHV?

You could always settle the west coast of North America I suppose.

Cities you should settle in any game, if you can:
Chicago, Los Angeles, Denver, New Orleans.
Aztecs happen to be close enough to settle all four with ease :)
Blizzrd seems to have settled Chicago 1 NW, that's probably because he wasn't planning to play past the America spawn and thus wanted to minimize the overlap with the Washington city.

Updated. Apologies for the long wait, IRL has been diverting much of my attention.
I'll only do maybe two to three more, since 1.10 is close to being released.
And then we can look forward to a 1.10 UHV Challenge Thread.

EDIT: Leaderboards have been updated, complete with Stats tracking.

Blizzrd seems to have settled Chicago 1 NW, that's probably because he wasn't planning to play past the America spawn and thus wanted to minimize the overlap with the Washington city.

Indeed, 100% correct.

Updated. Apologies for the long wait, IRL has been diverting much of my attention.
I'll only do maybe two to three more, since 1.10 is close to being released.
And then we can look forward to a 1.10 UHV Challenge Thread.

EDIT: Leaderboards have been updated, complete with Stats tracking.

Great news. I am currently playing Spain and just realised that there is no entry for them at all? Did none of the Spanish games posted in this thread qualify for UHV?

I'm also reluctant to spend much more time on 1.9 with the imminent release of 1.10. But excited about the next challenge!

Has there been a Spain victory? It's hard for me to keep track by myself.
But if there is one already, please notify me and I will add it to the OP.

Has there been a Spain victory? It's hard for me to keep track by myself.
But if there is one already, please notify me and I will add it to the OP.

I believe that youtien may have had a VV as Spain that was posted on the 1st page of this thread (35th post).

Ah, then I shall add it to the list. youtien is now point neutral with 12 games like he had before.

EDIT: Wouldn't it be great if Leoreth could include integrated leaderboards in the mod? :D

I'm not sure whether it is worth posting, what with the finalisation of V1.10 imminent, but I was just wondering whether anyone has undertaken the the UHV for the Congolese? I realise I might be posting in the wrong thread, I'm not 100% sure whether the Congolese count towards 1.9 or are just a recent SVN addition (I only very recently started playing Civ again and discovered this modmod).

Anyhow, all that waffle aside, my specific query is concerning the Apostolic Palace requirement for goal 1. I am not a particularly good player, and tbh I can't work out what would be the best way to even get close to the required amount of votes, on any level tbh. If this would have been better of in the strategy thread then I apologise in advance.

I think everything from SVN counts so go ahead.

How many attempts on the first goal did you make? If you're unlucky, the Reformation fails and everyone remains Catholic, which makes it hard to reach the 10%. But under average circumstances some expansion and setting cities to growth should do it (and spreading Catholicism obviously).

I must admit I haven't given it all that many goes, I missed the mark by a ways on both tries and to my detriment gave in to 'Argh it must be impossible' rather quickly. However, you're comment was actually pretty helpful in letting me know why that happened, on both goes the Reformation failed to set Europe abuzz with Protestant ravings, basically everyone was still involved in a Catholic love fest. On the second go the two countries that did convert - Italy and Poland - died a few turns afterwards.

If I get lucky with conversions I should be able to hit that first goal with minimal trouble. Mbanza Kongo and the city on the Winburg tile grow quite fast, as does Quelimane. I probably shouldn't have gave up so quickly.

Thanks for answering anyhow, and thanks for creating this modmod as well, really got me back into Civ 4 :)

EDIT: Hit the first goal on my first retry, got a little luckier with the Reformation. Btw, are the Portuguese really supposed to be able to demand all 3 of my cities for 600 gold? If I say yes I lose, if I say no I most probably lose :/

Thanks for playing :)

The Portuguese ask for specific city spots, of which only one is in the historical area of Congo, so you kind of forced this upon yourself by settling the African east coast. You can meet the first goal by staying in Congo proper.

Just to show that it is feasible - mainly thanks to the new slave market system.
I went straight for the UHV and played very defensively, so there's easily much to improve, but at least ...

Early city setup was Mbanza Kongo, Durban and Kindu (in the heart of the Congo) which were easily enough for the the AP goal - this time. This way Portugal shows up only at Mbanza which can be easily defended - at least if the conquerors don't show up on the hill.

The slavery goal has become really easy. The French paid consistently 100 gold per slave, so I actually overdid it. After a previous try I actually planned to build the Opera House, but my Triumphal Arch was built way before my 8th city was even founded.
All my theatres and amphis were quite pointless - I never had to use the culture slider.

After that simple teching straight to Physics. I was even quite unlucky since I went for massive espionage early on, but my intended victims, the Dutch, never showed up at their usual South African spots - and my later target Portugal gave me just 1 bee-line tech. So I would have been much better off going for science from the start.

Attachments

• kongo.JPG
    kongo.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Mbemba AD-1823 Turn 362 uhv.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
Well... I'm going to be really cruel and submit a game that beats yours just by a couple of turns :blush:

I think it can still be improved by at least 50 years since I didn't manage my cities to well and got a bit unlucky as far as GPs go.

Settled Mbanza Kongo, Kalembie (on Copper) and Durban early on, then added another 4 cities just before the 1650AD to get the required pop. The reformation took place really late in my game (I think the exact date was coincidentally 1650AD) so I couldn't rely on it.

The slave trade goal is a really easy and can be achieved by 1730AD easily - you just have to trade with right people (French, Spanish, English). I even settled another junk city to get my Opera house in Durban.

The Portugese Trading Company conquerors were a joke as they only targetted Mbanza (I razed Quelimane and resettled it 1SW) so I easily got rid of it.

Managed to spawn a Great Spy, which I used to steal Optics, Banking and Printing Press from Mali. GS next would have been great to bulb Sci Method but I got a useless GE. In the end Steel might have been a better beeline-target.

I also never bothered to build a couple of Caravels and send them to meet people so I never established contact with some Civs (Aztecs, America, China, Korea, Prussia, Russia). Meeting these may save you some turns as there may be interesting trade opportunites available.

Spoiler :

Attachments

• Mbemba AD-1805 Turn 356.CivBeyondSwordSave
    1.4 MB · Views: 102
Well... I'm going to be really cruel and submit a game that beats yours just by a couple of turns :blush:

Apologies accepted ;)
As I said before ...
I went straight for the UHV and played very defensively, so there's easily much to improve, but at least ..

I probably could reload a 1700 save and tweak a UHV in 1802, but I am way too lazy and seriously not interested.
I have deliberately not settled the solid second South African city to give the Dutch or English some place to settle - and my beloved spies some cheap techs, but alas ...

I agree that a solid target for anyone optimizing should be around 1730-1750, but I'll leave this homework to anyone interested.

Yeah after I failed so miserably to deal with the Portuguese conquerors, I realised it was probably a better idea to build in the Congo proper, Kindu etc. Luanda is very difficult to ignore though :/ If I only have to defend against the conquerors at one city it shouldn't be too difficult.

The slave trade goal is actually very easy, so long as you have decent enough relations with an economically flush France you're set.

To Santo and Ororo, what in your minds would be the best way to tech? On my first try (when I failed goal 1) I was actually decently keeping up, I was pretty much assured of getting goal 3. However, on my subsequent tries I haven't played that much differently but seem to be quite a bit further behind than I was.

Portugese are really not that hard. They don't seem to target Luanda nor Matadi (raze Quelimane and resettle it 1SW) so a stack will only appear near Mbanza Kongo.

As for tech, just develop your cities and concentrate on getting some GPs. A great Spy first is an excellent choice as Mali should be getting Printing Press by the time you spawn him. GS next would be ideal. Also, don't be lazy like myself and send a caravel around to see if Chinese/Koreans/Russians etc. have an interesting deal for you. Tamils, French, English and later Dutch are your best trading partners.

Top Bottom