1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Great Duel of Our Time

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Kaan Boztepe

Kaan Boztepe Chieftain

where is this forest you are talking about ? i cant see a damn thing because of all those trees!!!

I guess they also have these things called focus groups and beta testers etc :D

Trav'ling Canuck and Vandlys like this.
  2. pgm123

pgm123 Warlord

That's fair. I seem to remember people calling God King a trap, but it gained favor.

I agree that odds are against you promoting a great scout and keeping it until the end of the game (if you want to keep exploring). And I agree that it seems a bit weak. But Carl did say he was picking Survey specifically because of future upgrades, so I think he deserves some benefit of the doubt until we've tried it. There are games where you don't see Barbarians before the first 15 turns and then it's not bad having Survey.

3. Zenphys

Zenphys Chieftain

The Scout --> Skirmisher upgrade isn't too far through the tech tree and could be very powerful. He mentioned using the promotion that makes them stealthed unless enemies are next to them and the improved pillaging yields to go around and pillage an enemy empire. It could be a very powerful combination that's worth using the survey card to try and get too

WillowBrook likes this.
  4. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

Got a chance to finally watch the duel. For fun, I captured my favorite quotes over the first 3 hours (timestamps are based on the full 4 hour version on Twitch):

• "Head-to-head against 2 great nations ... Florin and Guilder ..." 8:03
    • "It's a Carl-us Belli" 29:50
    • "Our very talented Production Team, who can also hand us napkins" 41:16
    • "Sack the camp; they die so that others may live" 41:55
    • RE: The Maori - "I expect them to pop up on my border any time. They have a tendency to do that." 42:39
    • "What are we, GMT less 5. Figure it out. Do the math. Go down in the corner of your screen where the little clock is and play with things. It'll be good. You'll enjoy it" 49:00
    • "Oh Man" 49:57 Re: Halifax falls in 1 turn to the Hungary Mercenary Sword Rush!
    • "You're gonna keep it?!? Even with the loyalty down there? That's a bold move." 50:18
    • "Carl, are you plotting your revenge? I'm nervously biding my time" 54:35
    • "You haven't been struck by a blizzard ... And now, my having said that, it's gonna happen" 1:09:06
    • "Balancing the budget through human attrition. You wonder why you have a reputation as a cold and heartless human being." 01:15:06
    • "#SuzerainProblems" 01:18:14
    • "Sorry, I'm not going to sell you weapons ... I need them right now" 01:22:11
    • "I like how you are both abstractly for the idea of peace, but not in this particular instance" 01:23:20
    • "You know what needs to resolve itself? That donut" 01:23:48
    • "Oh you poor thing. I also have a tornado on top of one of my cities, mine is named Ed." 01:26:20
    • "Your peace, is the peace of the grave my friend" 1:30:50
    • "How much time is left on that Army? You can tell me, I'm not gonna tell Carl... *leans over towards Carl and tells him*" 1:31:55
    • "Canada is not one of my go-to's" 1:32:35
    • "He's been exploring your territory, aggressively and in person" 1:40:10
    • "That maple leaf is throbbing gracefully" 1:41:30
    • "Cody set his desk on fire. It yielded science and production, but the notes were lost" 1:50:05
    • "I don't think he needs tips Carl. I don't know, he still doesn't have walls" 1:55:00
    • "YOU'RE playing catch up, huh? ... Let me trade you some 'salt'" 2:11:30
    • "Tormenting you is half the joy of my job" 2:25:15
    • "You know what else you can do? Burn it all down. Burn it down Ed! 2:27:38
    • "Oh that is totally a Carl-us Belli" 2:29:30
    • "This donut tastes like unexpected war; it's delicious." 2:31:00
    • "She is in first place in military strength ... That's alright, you're in third... you'll be fine..." 2:35:25
    • "No. Carl is a peaceful player and will be sitting this war out" - said by Carl 2:35:41
    • "Faithful Sikh Maori - words you will only hear playing a game of Civilization" 2:44:06
    • "Hit them harder. 'Enjoy being part of my empire'" 2:46:55
    • "Through a combination of aggressive forward diplomacy and not fighting each other" 3:05:04
    • "Donutism, Eden-ism, Salty Donuts ... Denouncing Eleanor ... Religion McRelgionface, I feel like I've heard that one before" 3:09:02
    • "I think more people should have battering rams. In fact if anybody out there is looking for a last minute Valentine’s day gift for me ..." 3:10:37
    • "It will be Niterville" 03:14:01
    OK @FXS_Sarah, you've got a lot to live up to in your live stream! ;)

Kjimmet, Meluhhan, Rayyy and 5 others like this.
  5. slyone14

slyone14 Chieftain

Question, for you civ experts. How did Ed get so many Envoys and Suzerians?They were moving so fast i couldnt see. Want to try Hungry first and need to learn. Thank you for any help

6. CPWimmer

CPWimmer Chieftain

Part of it was the +2 bonus envoys awarded when Hungary levies troops.

7. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

I didn't catch that part of the stream, but I'd expect it was a combination of a free envoy for being the first to discover, bonus envoys for first level Armani, and two extra envoys for levying their troops, as @CPWimmer pointed out.

CPWimmer likes this.
  8. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

So, to cut a long story short... :p
    Better than some biased small "outside group", are the true final arbiters, those who bought the game and play it a lot. Followed by patches and mods.

9. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Chieftain

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm glad Ed went with Hungary as role-playing them gives better odds to winning the game.

I can also say, "I called Ed would be Hungary." (pun intended)