1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Great Duel of Our Time

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Sagax

Sagax Warlord

Ed should pick Norway and prove to us that it needs no buffs. :p

Elhoim, Meluhhan and IvoryPavane like this.
  2. tedhebert

tedhebert Chieftain

well if it's pangea, then Carl needs Maori ;-)

Aussie_Lurker likes this.
  3. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

Nah. The Toa are good on any map.

NegativeZero likes this.
  4. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Chieftain

Ahhh...

Well Sweden Vs Mali could be interesting...

5. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

I think I'd probably choose Hungary, although an Inca Warak'aq rush with terrace farms powering the civ could be tempting. For sure he has to give Carl Canada, although "no surprise wars" really just means you immediately denounce the other person.

6. Eagle Pursuit

He can still do a joint war against Canada with an AI civ.

7. PhoenicianGold

PhoenicianGold Chieftain

Even better. Phoenicia and Maori. Less coastline. Phoenicia gets no capital bonus. Maori spend half the game trying to find Pangaea.

Sagax likes this.
  8. Ziad

Ziad Warlord

If it's Pangaea then it should be Inca vs Canada.

Zaarin likes this.
  9. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

Ed as Ottomans.
    Carl as Mali - harder warmonger game.
    AI - Eleanor and Phoenicia. Or Hungary and Maori.
    I am rooting for the AI, though I know it is a lost cause.

DWilson likes this.
  10. Plaidman

Plaidman Chieftain

Since this'll air while I'm at work, any idea if there'll be a recording of it up to watch later? I know the Let's Plays get posted to YouTube after a couple of days - any idea if this game will too? Or, at least, will the stream be rewatchable on Twitch?

11. Plaidman

Plaidman Chieftain

Also I don't know why everyone is suggesting that Carl is the one who has to be nerfed. There have been plenty of little hints dropped that Ed is super good at the game. Moar like Ed Beast.

Meluhhan likes this.
  12. Alexadamz

Alexadamz Chieftain

It depends what they are good at. Carl is better warmonger, so they say, and Ed I guess is better at other things. So it is good to mix things and let them play with civs that are opposite to their favorite playstyles.

Plaidman likes this.
  13. kryat

kryat Chieftain

If Carl is Canada, Ed can’t declare a surprise war

Edit: same point made earlier, sorry

14. Eagle Pursuit

Neither can Carl though. So they are at parity in the surprise department.

15. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

As funny as it would be to pacify Carl with Canada, I do kinda want to see a battle royale of the Ottomans and Hungary. Both have an insane domination game, and while we saw them go toe to toe in the Ottoman livestream, that was with an AI-led Hungary.

Ed and Carl as Suleiman and Matthias, with the AI controlling Maori and Inca, to make it interesting.

George Abitbol likes this.
  16. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Chieftain

Based on Ed, he'll need a civ that can't distract him from trying to win (somehow) over Warmonger Carl. I'll note they didn't tell us the speed, so I'm guessing quick is likely for the stream. This means Classical - Early Ind era UUs are strong compared to ancient ones.

Best options for Ed are:

Maori: Strong early game yields, great early UU, and strong early culture win possibilities. There is not too much to distract Ed here aside from trying to find a good location to settle.

Ottomans: Ed likes to role-play a civ thus Ibraham as first Gov is very likely. This will set him up for an early war with AI or a good defense.

Inca: Mountain starts are great for getting ahead and Inca's tunnels + UU make them ultra defensive.

Hungary: Ed knows the levy is strong and will want to use it. The Black Army comes quick enough and they'll still get nice districts fast.

Less good options for Ed:

Mali: a desert civ with lower production for units isn't great but Knight UU on quick speed can be really nice. Unfortunately, Ed will likely go religion with Mali and the game is unlikely to hit 2nd tier govs for faith unit purchasing.

Canada: Ed may try to out-Carl the Carl so taking away surprise war may hinder Ed. A potential Tundra start would't help.

Phoenicia: Role-playing this civ could hinder Ed as trying to stack all the settling bonuses before expanding could doom his chances. If they are playing on quick, the ancient UU will not see any use.

France/England: These are both later civs that are not likely to see their UU within the game.

Sweden: All their bonuses come kinda late. Unless they start classical or medieval, most will not be seen.

Top Pick for Ed: Hungary

Why? "Free" upgraded units from CS are strong and could save him in any era from Carl.

Top Pick for Carl: Sweden

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  17. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, I feel that it's going to be Hungary for Ed vs Sweden for Carl. And then one AI will be Ottomans. Not sure on the other, could be any of the remaining civs.

18. NegativeZero

NegativeZero Chieftain

I worry that Carolean @ metal casting could be bee-lined if Carl is Swedan. These would counter both the black army and Huszár of Hungary but muskets are right there anyways. CSs are also likely to give Ed access to melee units which could be upgraded (for free) to counter Caroleans.

19. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy "Save a horse..."

Ed as Hungry to counter Carl’s warmongering for two ages and with levied units

Carl crippled as Canada, unable to declare surprise wars

Eleanor of France for some eye candy

Kristina of Sweden for the extra World Congress interactions via Nobel Prize

George Abitbol and Alexadamz like this.
  20. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Ed: Hungary
    Carl: Mali

AI: Maori, Phoenicia

Hawke9 likes this.