1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] The Great Duel of Our Time

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Eagle Pursuit, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

It depends on if the city-state has up-to-date units. The biggest cost factor to me is upgrading them all to my current tech level. That's where Hungary has it licked. You don't even need resources to get them upgraded.

2. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

okay so what did I miss

3. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Agreed, and in multiplayer there are already some some checks and balances to it. I like the way it would force me to think about the city states differently. I almost never conquer them but in a game with Hungary I would certainly conquer the ones closest to me and focus my envoys on nearby on.

If everyone follows suit then it becomes a defensive ability for Hungary.

And the almighty Queen Tamar will be a headache for him because it’s pretty easy for her to get most of the city states. That part of her ability is quite powerful indeed.

Hungary has some situations where they are devastating but I’d imagine there are a few where it’s not quite as powerful. Heck even in the stream, his second levy gave him a knight and two swordsman that would take a while to even get to the city, and a competent player would have a bit of time to prepare. The AI is just dumb haha)

4. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

I missed the start of the Eleanor/Ed war. Who declared on who?

5. local_hero

local_hero Prince

I think it's difficult to rely on city state units. You have no control of how many they build or if they build new ones after losses. I have games where I can't understand how the city states has lost so many of it's units. Embarking units where barbarian naval units roam? Dunno what happens.

George Abitbol likes this.
  6. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Agreed. I really enjoyed their lives streams, including this one. Makes me want to try multiplayer (preferrably on cloud since I'm more of a slow player).

Not easy with Hungary, they get 2 more envoys when you levy.

Without a battering ram Ed won't be able to do much to Eleanor, and it's still slow for him to get out a sizeable army, but if he keeps at it, he should overwhelm her.

7. thecrazyscot

thecrazyscot Spiffy

That doesn't bother me in the slightest :) And if the AI uses it, makes my games much more interesting.
    Gold is so easy to come by, though, that I've never had an issue with it. Just slot the upgrade discount card and you're good to go.

8. Melliores

Melliores Warlord

@bite - the Eleanor AI was winning a Cultural victory and then Ed declared war on her. That AI is actually doing really well when playing to her strengths. However it did not account for the possibility of Ed levying a city state or two and sending their troops her way.

9. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

Ed declared, otherwise Eleanor was a threat for running away with cultural victory.

10. Bosque

Bosque Warlord

At one point Eleanor was less than 10 turns from a Cultural Victory before Ed and Carl changed strategies to boost culture. At the same time, she is also shooting for Religious Victory, and is close to having 3 of 4 civs under Catholicism. And this is Emperor AI in the early Renaissance against 2 human players!

anandus and ChocolateShake like this.
  11. Vandlys

Vandlys Prince

Ed had three cities out when Carl had two.

Ed declared war with levied units and managed to conquer Carl's third city (just settled).

They waged war for ages, and Ed managed to build up quite some infrastructure. Carl barely was able to get anything going since he had to shift his focus to war to defend. He also wouldn't consider peace until he got his third city (Halifax) back. Ed was willing to offer peace under certain conditions (unspecified) but Carl refused to make peace until he got Halifax back. Neither of them considered including Halifax in the peace deal : P

After Halifax flipped to Neutral City, Ed retreated.

Eleanor had 9 turns till Culture victory, and was also running away on religion. At that moment she was leading on all victory types except for domination (Kupe was at that moment).

Ed and Carl decided to make peace to be able to focus on culture to stop Eleanor.

Both have since then been trying to rebuilt their culture game. Carl has also spent a lot of time and resources on settling new cities. Still way behind on gold per turn, also lagging behind on science and military strength. Culture he is on par with Ed if I'm not mistaken.

To stop Eleanor from gaining more momentum Ed decided to attack England. Captured on of their lone settlers (city is now Ersztesomething between Valetta and Kabul). Is now going after England's northern cities (bradford and liverpool?)

At the moment where I paused watching (second break?, talking about winter storm converging on their building) Eleanor is still in a strong lead. She's built a considerable amount of wonders, and is at least at level or ahead on every other victory type too.

Religious game is played between Kupe and Eleanor, with Ed just recently building his first holy site (probably not going to mean much tbh)

Pete has been extremely charming and has been whispering to Ed for a long time to wage war on England. He is being a backseat warmongerer, and I love him for it.

That's about it to when you posted, I think.

CPWimmer, Krajzen, Kjimmet and 5 others like this.
  12. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I'm going to stop watching, the Industrial era and onwards is when the new content in GS really comes into play and I don't want to get spoiled.

I'm amazed at how Eleanor almost claimed a Culture victory in the Medieval era though. I've never lost to a Culture victory pre-GS in either Emperor or Immortal difficulty and it is throughout the entire game.

13. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

Oh Pete, no, or yes, I don't know it is too early in the morning

14. Sagax

Sagax Emperor

In the end, combat AI be combat AI. RIP Eleanor, it seems.

CPWimmer, Bosque and Vandlys like this.
  15. Wizard-Bob

Wizard-Bob Always remember to Find Your FUN!

Interesting that Ed and Carl had to amend their "victory condition" for today to be having a combined score higher than the combined score of the two AIs. :crazyeye:

Kjimmet, George Abitbol and Vandlys like this.
  16. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

It’s a little disheartning that they are taking so much glee in exposing how weak religious victory is.

Condemning her heretics isn’t a strength of Hungary, it’s a glaring weakness in religious gameplay.

Though it was neat to levy and condemn

Vandlys likes this.
  17. pgm123

pgm123 Emperor

I typically don't because I find City States make good foot soldiers where you don't acquire warmongering penalties. You just have to be ok with them destroying all the cities in their path.

18. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

The extra envoys Mathias receives when levying make that more challenging against Hungary.

19. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

If Hungary must be nerfed then I'd target the free upgrade and then buff their UB.

20. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I don't think it needs nerfing. You can take all the fight out of them by either taking suze away or killing their city-states.

Kjimmet, Siptah, Ivan Hunger and 4 others like this.