1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

the Great Italian Wars - PBEM for 6 players

Discussion in 'Civ3 - PBEM Games' started by Glasnost, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

I tried to keep some geographical reality and as Bengal Tiger stated, Naples is not located near river. The positions are not fully balanced I admid but the map was there to be checked before picking started.

You can however pick one the states not yet picked by anyone if you wish. Those are Papal States and Florence.

2. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

I disagree. You saw map when choose Naples and now try to get extra advantage. You have very long river nearby and one more river at your "backyard". Nobody else have it.

3. RickFGS

RickFGS Deity

ok, i´ll play it as it is, the majority wins.

Advertise for one more player and lets begin!

4. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

What about following:
    If you have units on somebody land and going to take military action next turn you must declare war at the end of current turn via "peace treaty re-negotiation". If it is impossible because "peace treaty" still running, you must DoW in forum. .
    Please clarify rules about Pope's state in similar way...

5. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

Clarified the rules as I.Larkin suggested. Thank you for that!

The new rule about war declarations when invading another players territory is copy-paste from I. Larkin:

Declarations on Papal States modified with same idea:

6. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Some edits.

7. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

Why this part. Can't figure the meaning of this since no-one shouldn't be in pope's lands without his permission anyway. Or is it just to clarify that?

Edited to "versus this civ" to the rules.

8. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

1) You mention that it is not 100%. Somebody can be at Pope's land
    2) I meant, that war induced by Pope's call.

9. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Once we all choose civs, will you rename them all to Venice, Milan, etc?
    I also intend to name cities I build to corresponding cities in Italy. In my area of Milan, for example, i'd have Genoa and Turin. May I recommend others do the same?

I also think instead of automatically playing turns after 48hs of inactivity, everyone else (or majority) should post here that the turn should be played for them. Anyone could get swamped with work or such, and especially during a war, the situation could get ugly...

Re: I.Larkin- Papal States may not aggressively declare war.

10. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

I hope I made it clear in rules that there is only 2 situations where you can be inside of Papal States territory: 1. You are at war with him (and can't move in the same turn you declare) 2. Papal States can grant freedom of movement in his territory to 1 other citystate if he wishes.

But I know see a problem arising: What if the player who has been granted free movement in Papal States territory wishes to attack Papal States. I'd say that in this situation the aggressor can attack immediately when he so wishes. It would be wierd that you would need to first leave his territory, declare war, wait 1 turn and then come back.

11. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

I didn't intend to rename the civs, but I can if no-one objects. Everyone can name cities as they wish, but you may recommend :) and I will probably do so.

Well it is highly preferred that players will find someone else to play their turn if they can't do it themselves but to keep the game flowing I will jump in and play it for them without much effort in situations where they haven't said anything about their absence and over 48h has been passed. If you know that you can't make it, let us know and maybe some other player can play it for you with your instructions.

I.Larkin was probably talking about situations where someone has declared against Papal States and other states are rallied to choose their sides.

12. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

1) I thought about the situation when Pope call for war against aggressor and somebody have troops on "aggressor's" land.
    That's why I thought that it might be simple rule: declare "turn ahead". Somebody may enter to the land without war intention, but situation may change few turns after...

2) Can Curragh cross Papal Water?

13. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

Ah. I now see what you ment. Yes I think it ok to attack the aggressor at the same turn when the DoW has been provoked by attack towards Papal States. Afterall this is not a "suprise attack" because if you declare to Papal States you know that there is a high change that someone will declare on you.

hmm.. good question. I would say yes to prevent the Papal States from forming a total block of movement from north to south and vice versa in AA and most of MA.

14. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Does anyone know someone from any previous PBEM games that's willing to join? Only one player is left.

15. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

Well I guess most of the people playing PBEM's have already seen this but not willing to join :(

We'll just have to wait to see if someone less regural visitor pops in and decides to join.

16. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

Great news everyone, we have found the 6th player!

My real life friend has volunteered to take control over the great citystate of Florence. He will be joining the forums shortly and after reading the rules will pick a civ to ban and after that, picking can begin. So get ready to claim your favourite.

I will be making final adjustments to the rules keeping in mind the great suggestions you have made, excpecially I. Larkin :goodjob:. Make sure to read them once again before the game begins. After that new situations where the rules are not clear will be considered case by case basis.

-Glasnost

17. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Emperor

Greece is my first choice. On the chance your friend bans it, I'll take Japan. Can you PM the emails of all involved players to each other?

18. J_Kovic

J_Kovic Warlord

Hello everyone!

I'm choose to ban Celts. And if I can choose my civ now, I take Japan.

19. I. Larkin

I. Larkin Deity

Can you insert it in the rules?
    My civ preference Netherlands.
    I will have long international flight 22 Oct 00:00 UCT to 23 Oct 06:00 UCT. Not sure about Internet connection on Lisbon airport.

20. Glasnost

Glasnost Prince

I'll insert it in the final edition which I will post before the game starts. Thanks for the early notice of the short absence.