The Great Patriotic War: WWII on the Eastern Front (Development Diary)

Update 23 May 2012

My work approach at the moment is a bit scatter brained as I jump between different areas, which as many of you know, is not the best approach to be taking to modding...but unfortunately these are the issues of being a lone-wolf modder!

Supply System
Having spent the past few weeks coding the HP system, I drifted back into the supply system code. Unfortunately things have been kind of messy as my time is spent fixing bugs and testing the code supply counter system.

I took my first attempt at creating a UI panel for the supply system (thanks whoward for your massive help and guidance) but efforts ground to a halt as a 'glitch' prevents the data displaying properly.

The good news is that the supply system is alive and functioning, but I am spending a lot of time tweaking building values and other numbers to get a balanced game.

Hitpoint System
As mentioned in my previous update, this code is virtually finished and I have chosen to take break from it to preserve my sanity as I focus on other areas.

Units
I had originally created all the unit entries for the scenario, but as things progress I will have to scrap these entries and take a fresh look at what needs to be in the game and how it will function with the supply and HP system.

Buildings
Buildings are also pretty much complete, however, a lot of work needs to be done to fix XML entries and balance them in game.

Projects
The various projects to trigger new unit types etc are also almost complete, however, a lot of work needs to be done to include coded triggers for AI projects and ensure things occur in historic order where possible.

Promotions
I had complete all promotion XML coding a while back, but the more I progress, the less I am satisfied with my original set of promotions. Promotions (IMO) tend to cause a lot of balance issues in the game. I am thinking of taking a fresh approach to limiting 1-2 inherent unique promotions per unit type and making few chosen promotions relate to leadership and battle experience only.

Diplomacy
This is a new area for me and I am not very familiar with how to code things. As I have not played the game extensively, I have a lot of questions around how diplomacy works and restrictions.

I want to prevent teams exchanging resources and changing sides without historic context. Further more, I have to figure out how to deal with axis members that end up dropping out of the war or changing sides (i.e. Finland, Romania, Italy).

As you can see, there is plenty for me to still do, but I am inching closer to a workable prototype. Of course G&K will also need to be factored into this mod, but I don't envision religion and espionage as vital components of this mod.

Brief Update...

I wanted to get a few things wrapped up before my next update, but thought best to keep those interested in the loop.

The past few weeks have been spent finishing off the production code and I am now working on in game screens to display all the information.

Huge thanks to whoward69 for all his guidance and patience in answering my questions. This whole graphical XML environment is not easy, but I am getting the hang of it very slowly.

Will post some screenies of outcomes in my next proper update.

Update 14 June 2012

Work continues slowly on the production model. I spent the last few days having to revisit old code and correct various calculation errors as well as streamline the data being captured for easier reporting purposes.

The rest of my time has been spent on getting prototypes together for the various info panels that are required to present all this new production information.

Anyhow, the saying a picture is worth a thousand words is probably best suited to this update.

Pic 1 shows the scenario top panel area which has been heavily modified to display raw resources, production resources and just below it the equipment production counters. All the numbers shown are live and correspond to the various parameters and map resources being used.

Icons from left to right (top line) are: gold (unchanged), iron ore, coal, bauxite, oil, steel, aluminum, fuel, food and power.

Info from left to right (equipment) are: personnel, field guns, vehicles, rocket launchers, light tanks, medium tanks, heavy tanks, light assault guns, medium assault guns, heavy assault guns, medium tank destroyers (USSR only has one dedicated design!), fighters, ground attack aircraft, fast bombers and medium bombers.

Pic 2 shows the first info popup screen, in this case Metals Production, and the amount of information that goes into the production system for producing resources and equipment. Unfortunately some of the counters in the Stock Flows & Industry Use section are not live yet as I have to still write more code. The totals at the bottom have yet to be linked to their relevant data as I am busy typing this update! Also, typos need to be fixed ('insufficent'!) :p

On a side note, I am waiting on the new patch in order to complete these new popup screens and take advantage of the new font_icon functionality which should improve the info text shown (thanks to whoward for the heads-up :goodjob:).

As usual, I hope those few souls following this project enjoyed this update.

Wow. Just... wow.

I am now looking forward to this more than I am to G&K.

Out of curiosity, what was the dedicated Soviet Anti-Tank? I wasn't aware of any, unless you're talking about the heavier ISU (I forget the number).

EDIT: Quick google made me remember, the SU series which actually led into the ISU's. I haven't been reading enough OOB's lately. :p

Nice work on the UI :goodjob:

Out of curiosity, what was the dedicated Soviet Anti-Tank?

albie, the SU-85/100 series was the only tank destroyers the Soviets built with that purpose in mind. All other vehicles (SU-76/122 and ISU-122/152) were intended as assault guns/sp guns.

The good thing about sticking to the Soviet side in the scenario is that I don't need to stress about how to implement the wide range of German vehicles and their characteristics. The Soviets kept things simple and pretty much had 1 or 2 vehicles for each function.

Nice work on the UI

Thanks, however I have a long road to travel before I become good at UI programming. Whoward's UI tutorial is constantly in front of me and the pages are starting to get a bit too much wear and tear from all the flicking between sections!

All I need now is for someone to help me convert that stupid Civ4 counter unit into Civ5 (see here) to enable me to also begin work on the unit coding. :(

Ahhhh the joys of patching and updates! :wallbash:

Like a lot of other people on these boards, my mod has succumb to a dreaded CTD ever since the update.

I have tried reverting to an older backup just incase and no joy. At present I am in a bit of a head scratching position as I try to reverse engineer everything and figure out what it is the new patch does not like.

The most likely cause will be new units that add/change the "art define" files - as this whole mechanism has radically changed

Well I took a break from it a few hours back due to my fustration.

The odd thing is that the game loads fine when choosing Germany, yet CTDs when choosing USSR. Theoretically there is nothing different about either civ and both use new units via the old art defines method!!!

Will look into the art def situation further as I know Gedemon mentioned something about it in one of the patch threads.

Further update....

Well folks, something has seriously gone wrong with my mod efforts post patch. It seems that I am getting a CTD as soon as I load the mod and then get taken to the civ/map selection screen.

When I check the database log all I get is this!

Code:
[44620.918] constraint failed
[44620.918] While executing - 'INSERT INTO ArtDefine_StrategicView(StrategicViewType, TileType, Asset) VALUES(?,?,?)'
[44623.758] Validating Foreign Key Constraints...
[44624.475] Passed Validation.
[44624.787] 
-- SQLite Memory Statistics --
Memory Usage:
		[Cur]		[Max]
Malloc:		322064		7833168
PageCache:	3837		4982
LookAside:	0		0
Scratch:	0		1

Static Buffer Overflows:
		[TooLarge]	[NoSpace]
PageCache:	0		7486504
Scratch:	0		0

Largest Allocations:
Malloc:		65280
PageCache:	1160
Scratch:	6664

Prepared Statements:
Current:		6
------------------------------

Man this is really eating into useful time I could be coding new screens.

BTW - I converted all my unit art def files as per Gedemons instructions using SQL files so I am sure this is not the issue. When I check via SQLLite, the units are imported successfully so the problem is in some dark and unknown corner of my mod. :cry:

EDIT: Well it seems that something is not quite right with this build and I am now progressing very nervously with my mod. It seems that even normal games were causing a crash which gives me a suspicious feeling something is being cache somewhere (???) even after clearing my cache!

I have managed to get the USSR to load first time...but still have a feeling something is not right post-patch!

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, always find it interesting to read about civ mods but have very rarely actually played any (don't get much time with uni and work and other games to play)

This mod inspired me to create an account just to thank you for the work you have already put in and to beseech you to keep going if you have the time and energy!

I am a massive world war 2 buff, and although I love the civ games, the lack of detail and strategic options always grated on me, things like supply lines should always have been in the game as an optional feature in my opinion. Players who like complexity can turn them on, and players who like simplicity can turn them off, no?

Anyway, I know next to nothing about the technical details of modding, but anytime I get I'm going to check back here and see how things are going and if I can think of any suggestions I'll give them.

Again, thankyou so much for even attemping a mod of this complexity, I hope this mod gets a bit more exposure as world war 2 does seem to be the most popular theme for war/strategy games and the Eastern Front was easily the most crucial/dramatic theatre of the war as you undoubtedly know.

Good luck and all the best!

Andrew

Thanks Andrew.

The Eastern Front is a pet interest of mine within WWII history so this project is a real labor of love for me.

Brief Update...

I have been putting off updates for the time being due to the amount of work that has been required in the last few weeks developing the supply system. My last post showed an early prototype of one of the supply screens which has since changed a bit given the new patch's ability to link in ICON_FONT entries :)

This little features makes it much easier to visualize info that previously possible.

Unfortunately the patch lost me a few days due to some issues converting the scenario and a bug which Firaxis confirms is being fixed in the next patch involving steam crashing mods when in offline mode. To add to the drama, I have been looking heavily for as much lend lease info as possible which meant browsing a few foreign websites that led to a suspected infection which further wasted a day of my time :rolleyes:!

The good news is that all the info I found has allowed me to get my head around the best approach to representing lend lease in the scenario. I have settled on a transport points system that will allow me to simplify quite a few things in the scenario.

The player will now accumulate rail, motor and convoy points based on buildings in the game. These points are then used to accept vital lend lease (rail/convoy/motor pool), enabled refueling of units (motor pool) and finally give purpose to some additional buildings I originally envisioned including in the scenario such as supply dumps, naval docks and railyards.

It also allows me to strip out trucks as a quantified equipment type given most units used these for supply work. Thus truck production will now contribute to motor pool transport points instead. Also, naval vessels can also be stripped out given the limit sea tiles available in the game which does not really justify their presence (also, the Soviet navy was a very small contributor during most of the war on the Eastern Front).

I still need to flesh out ideas, but for now things seem to be falling into place!

Just another brief update regarding units!

It seems with the new patch, my custom counter unit I had converted from Civ4 to Civ5 now works!

In a moment of boredom, I took some time out to see if I could get the converted unit to work (see this thread for history) and loaded the game to take notes of what might be wrong with it......but......there it was on the map and working!

Happy happy joy joy:banana:

Heres a screenshot of a new counter unit in the game.

The question is how do I rotate the model so that it is not off on an angle but at 90 degree angle instead? If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Note, the nice glassy effect was not my doing! Not sure if this is something civ does by default or if it was something connected with the model???

Woot, woot!!!

(Loving the UI elements as well ... and you said you couldn't do that stuff ;) )

The question is how do I rotate the model so that
it is not off on an angle ...

Not sure you can, the "unit" is facing NW at the moment, and as you move it it will face any one of the other five sides of the hexagon, depending on the direction it last travelled. There is a "unit:ChangeFacing()" method (or some usch) but I've never got it to work.

Cheers.

After some looking around it seems it can't be changed. I have enabled quick moves so that the counter remains in one position.

I guess I can live with this.....but would others mind when playing?

EDIT: OK, counter is now straight down. I turned the NIF version 30 degrees and then imported it into blender and quickly exported out again as an FBX file and finally created a new unit using Indie Stone's nexus tool (Did anyone mention how painful it is to make units for this game and all I did was rotate a counter! :crazyeye:)

Apologies for the lack of updates as most of my time has been spent getting my work G&Kfied!

As I progress with each step of my code, I have to also include certain content in order to progress further. In this case it is the actual units to test my supply system code.

As posted in my previous updates, I have been working on converting most units to the counter format for several reasons:

1. Easy to read/identify compared to small 3D units
2. (Hopefully) speed up units by simplifying 3d graphics for units
3. Reduce download size of mod.

Here is a screenshot of the new counters for the USSR. The types of units will give you an idea of how I plan to structure things.

The only thing that is (now) bugging me is the glossy look of the counters. I don't know why this is but I figure something in Blender is to blame. If anyone knows how to remove the gloss from gr2 file then let me know!

Top Bottom