The Great People Mod

Snoopy

Prince
What this Mod does:
--------------------------

Whenever a great person, such as a great artist or prophet is born in any of YOUR cities, a window will popup, showing you a picture and a quote from the great person.

The windows are also colour coded for each type of great person.

Yellow/Gold = Merchant
Green = Scientist
Blue = Prophet
Red = Engineer
Purple = Artist

Install Instructions:
-------------------------
Unzip the contents into Program Files\Firaxis Games\Civilization IV\MODS

Running the Mod
---------------------
1. Start Civilization IV
2. From the menu, go to advanced, then click on Load a Mod
3. Load Great People Mod
4. Civilization IV will restart
5. Start a game as usual

Note that everytime you want to play your game, Civilization IV will have to restart and load the mod.

The file size of this Mod is roughly 10mb.

This is a temporary server until the admins put it on their server (Thunderfall, help me out here?!)

This is my server! so go easy!

DOWNLOAD MOD HERE

Last notes
--------------
There are bound to be mistakes with this mod, so if:

The picture is wrong
The colour background is wrong
The type of great person is wrong (Einstein is born, but it says Great Merchant at the bottom)
The quote is wrong
You get a pink rectangle

Let me know the name of the person that was born so that I can fix it.

----------------------------------------

Thanks to vovan for the scripts.

I had noted that in standard civIV the great person namee are only in english, also if the xml file contains the translations (eg: Nicolaus Copernicus should be Nicolò Copernico in italian).

Can you fix it?

Can't get a screenshot, for some reason the mod is not working for me, can anyone else test it and let me know if it works?

Are the Great People civspecific?

Hey Snoopy! I love how this has a little immersion...do you mind if I integrate it with my mod, just to make things a little more detailed?

Well, glad its working for people,

I managed to get it working for myself too, I had put the files two directories deep inside the mod file, where as the files should only be 1 directory deep.

I also put the files in My Games\Civilization IV\Mods\
just in case

Thanks Haarbal for the heads up.

Jaynus, you may use this mod however you wish.

Loppan, great people are not civ specific

I noticed you and I ran into the same problem Snoopy. These modules are starting to get pretty big.

This is a really good idea though. More quotes from history. :)

Heya,

Great mod, really adds something that feels special.

When I start a new game up, everything works fine (Load A Mod, get told the application must restart, it does and the revised splash screen appears, start a new game, no issues).

However, I cannot load a save game. If I try to load a game, the app does not realize that the Mod has already been loaded in. So it tries to restart again but will not load the mod.

I also tried a fresh start-up (normal Civ), did the Load a Mod, then tried to load the save game. Still get the same issue.

To rule out the possibility of a corrupted save file, I started all over (multiple times) and still get the same issue when attempting to load a saved game.

So, am I just missing something incredibly obvious here?

Question. When you play sufficiently long and enough of the same type of Great People have been born, they run out of names and they just use the generic name (Instead of "Moses" or "St. Peter" you just end up with "Great Prophet"), how does this mod work with that?

Kinjiru said:
Heya,

However, I cannot load a save game. If I try to load a game, the app does not realize that the Mod has already been loaded in. So it tries to restart again but will not load the mod.

Fixed my own problem, kind of.

The should really be installed in the main cIV directory, not into the My Games\cIV directory.

ie.

Correct:
C:\Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\Mods\

Incorrect:
C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization IV\ MODS\

The 'incorrect' path does seem to work for SOME people with SOME mods. The 'correct' path seems to always work (after flushing the cache, of course - C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\cache ).

Now, in the top I said that this kinda fixes the problem. It does, but only for freshly saved games. I can now start a game with the mod, save that game, and later load that game.

Games started before I moved the files into the correct path will still not load. Guess there is something written into one of the files that looks for the old path.

Anyway, GREAT MOD. I absolutely love it!

QiZhe said:
Question. When you play sufficiently long and enough of the same type of Great People have been born, they run out of names and they just use the generic name (Instead of "Moses" or "St. Peter" you just end up with "Great Prophet"), how does this mod work with that?

oh I didn't know that

well, everyone is allowed to alter the script as they wish

great idea!

I would like to do a german version of this (or maybe an international one using the mother tongue?).
Is that ok with you?

Could you tell me which fonts you used?

Thank you!

Absolutely beautiful idea.
I love it that someone tries to put more colour and atmosphere into the game rather than try to turn the whole thing upside down :)
It's good that there are people like this :)

If it were me I'd probably do all kinds of crap and ruin the game.

(Sorry, spam, but what I'd do would probably be to add a few more unique great people, and then make great people a 'finite' resource. that is, after you use up all the great people, there won't be any more generic ones)

Top Bottom