The Great Race: 1560-1701

Introduction:

The year is 1560. The world is a large place, especially with America, only a century old. Yet the Spanish giant continues it's despotic reign over America, hoarding all the gold and fine gems it finds. Can you lead your nation through over a century of warfare, and establish the greatest colonial empire seen since Rome?

---

This scenario deals with the later part of colonialism in the world. It's on Rhey's 180x180 map(I prefer smaller more detailed maps to larger, less detailed maps). I have played alot of Colonialism scenarios, and there's always problems like the AI refusing to colonize, making the world bare and boring, and the AI decides to go crazy and colonize Siberia. This Scenario is perhaps..fix these problems(sort of).

To make the AI colonize, there are victory points through out the world. These are areas were colonial cities were, or just regions where you should colonize. Secondly, the unit to replace the settler(The colonist) requires 3 pop, and it can only walk on grass and plains. To walk on anything else, a road MUST be built there!

This scenario stretches from 1560(The begining of Queen Elizabeth's reign in England. Technically it's 1558, but I prefer to start with a new decade..) to 1701(The begining of the Spanish war of succession). I've had to make some conessions for this to be fun and playable, so there may be a few cities that didn't exsist in 1560.

----

Download:

http://www.civfanatics.net/downloads/civ3/scenarios/TGR.zip

The file is 11 MB. Just Dl it, unzip it with Winzip or Winrar, and place both things inside(the The Great Race.biq and TGR folder) in your Conquests/Scenarios folder.

Load up Conquests, and go to CIVCONTENT. Choose The Great Race scenario, and viola!

----

Changes from Original Game:

-Flavor governments! From Reformed(Protestant Monarchy), to the Divine Monarchy of China!

-8 New Units: Slave, Colonist, Elephant Infantry, Flintlock Infantry, Mercenary Infantry, Treasure, SOTL, Hussar.

-15 new improvements!

-Changed Script, allowing for Royal Marriages, Trade Embargoes, and so much more!

----

Goals:
I wanted to make this fun, and unique. I tried my best(like the slave unit and treasure units) to do so, to keep true to the time period but make the game fun.

----

House-Rules:

Because this game has added items(such as royal marriages and such), I have devised a few simple rules to make the game "true" to the period.

-DON'T RAZE CITIES! Although the AI tends to do it, by this time towns were seldom burned down when they were occupied. Also you shouldn't do it because of only the Colonial powers being able to settle terrain, which will create large bare spots which will look quite ugly.

-Royal Marriages. Because this is during an era where religion prevailed, you should follow a few rules. Protestant Nations should only arrange marriages with Protestant nations, and vice-versa for Catholics. Russia is a wild-card, and can marry into any EUROPEAN nation. Europe, not matter what it's faith should not marry into other places(like Islamic nations or Oriental nations)

Islamic(Muslim) nations should only marry into OTHER Muslim nations, the exception being India as it is Oriental as well and could easily arrange a marriage with China or Siam.

African kingdoms should only marry other African Kingdoms.

Native American nations(should they survive this long) should only marry into other American kingdoms.

The AI won't obey this rule, but it will make the game more true to the era if you follow it.

---

I hope you enjoy TGR!

UPDATE - MARCH 25TH, 2006:

TGR 1.1 has been released! It is a minor patch, basically. Just download the attached zip. Changes include:

-Resource fixes
-No more contact trading
-All Treasure spawning improvements are European flavored, to prevent easy victories(Chinese with silk, ect)
-France has two new cities.

Attachments

• TGR 1.1.zip
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,199
Looks like a great idea and scenario. Can't wait to get home and try it.

You'll all need to wait for me to upload another version(I'm almost done with it). I was an idiot and I uploaded it without the unit files, so you'll get an error if you try to play it..I added more things though that produce treasures(like Silk Factories, Wineries, ect), Church(because it's seems odd that your colonies at size 4 can have a Cathedral..so now it's Temple > Church > Cathedral.), and all these things have civilopedia entries.

I'll try and get the new version up today.

This period in the world's history is really interesting. This looks like good stuff. Got any screenies or something? Anyway, I'll have a go at changing some history! :D

A few suggestion from the editor perhaps you could add the Golden Horde or Tatars to challange Russian expansion?

Rename Persia-Safavid Empire
India-Mughal Empire
South-East Asia-Siam

I think Korea was independent

It would be nice to have the Kongo Kingdom in Central Africa.

I will rename the last three.

Yes Korea, was independent but it was under the influence of China until 1895, when it was granted independance after the Sino-Japanese war, and then annexed in 1910. So I figured to just give it to China because it's very very minor..

As for the Kongo and Tatars, I think I will add them in.

I believe you should Make Portugal an independent civ, even though it was ocuppied by spain from the beggining of this scenario till 1640 when the portuguese crown was restored under the "Braganca dinasty".

EDIT: Stupid me, sorry i didnt saw portugal among the civs but i noticed it today , lol :crazyeye: :lol:

Hey all, I've got most of the work done, I just need to find leaders for a few civs(Kongo, Golden Horde, and Siam), and I just need to place cities for Kongo. The updated files will be up by late tonight, early tomorrow at latest!

Also, there are some more new units - Buccaneer, Corsair(Privateer units), SOTL(Ship of the Line), War Galleon(An early attack unit), and Hussar(Unique Unit for HRE).

Pardon the double post.

I have everything..done pretty much. But the size it's..it's larger than expected(20 MB) so I sadly can't upload it via post upload. Does anyone know how you get server access at Civfanatics so you can upload things larger than 20 MB? I really want to get this out so people can play. I worked really hard on it, and it seems like a waste if only I can enjoy it.

I don't know anything about uploading files, but 20 megs sounds tiny compared to some of them around. Sorry but I have no idea who to even ask.... :(

I think you need to ask Thunderfall...

Sorry for my bad english, i am italian. I don't find thr attached file of the scenario. The first version yuo posted generate an error: missed some .INI file. There is a new version of your scenario?

The new version will be up by next week, Intesa. Sadly I don't have internet access through the week, so you'll all have to wait until Friday. I will get some screen shots up, however!

Seeing as I was stumped for some time, I added in some extra things/took some stuff out.

-Removed Buccaneers(they were..quite annoying and it was impossible to send Caravels into the sea without them being sank by Buccaneers..)

-Removed Elephant Infantry(Just gave the African civs the ability to use the War Elephant)

-Added in "Royal Marriage" (It's basically a MPP, avaible at Printing Press. The script is edited, so when two civs sign a MPP it says "Civ1 and Civ2 have forged a royal marriage between their families)

-Static Flag leader-heads for all civs by Indian civs in America.

-Flavor governments! There are three non-era non-tradable techs(European, Muslim, Oriental) which have govts for said flavor civs.

European(For all Europeans BUT Russia): Gives Catholic/Reformed(Protestant) Monarchy
Muslim(For Ottomans, Safavids, Golden Horde, and Mughals): Gives Islamic Regime
Oriental(Only for China): Gives Divine Monarchy

-Added in Absolute Monarchy, avaible at "Absolutism" which replaces Democracy. Removed Feudalism due so many more governments being avaible.

Hey everyone, the scenario will be up this weekend hopefully, but here are some screenshots to tie you over.

Attachments

• DiploTGR.JPG
    DiploTGR.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 918
  • GovtTGR.JPG
    GovtTGR.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 736
  • ImprovTGR.JPG
    ImprovTGR.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 710
Top Bottom