1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Great War

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Sarevok, Jan 25, 2004.

?

What do you think of this scenario?

1. Its Great! one of the best out there!

257 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Its a good scenario

119 vote(s)
    25.1%
  3. Its ok

40 vote(s)
    8.4%
  4. I dont like it

58 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Rocoteh

Rocoteh Deity

In fact also TGW benefit sharply
    playing with Snoopys terrain.

Rocoteh

2. Sarevok

Sarevok Civ3 Scenario Creator

3. CellKu

CellKu Emperor

I can only support Rocoteh about Snoopys terrain. I have installed it and it looks great!
    Btw, do you think there is a way to install land- and sea-mines in TGW (what was suggested in the TOE-thread)?

CellKu

4. Palmerston

Palmerston Chieftain

I'd like attacking heavy machine guns over trench's to be lethal, absolutely lethal (as in reality) - is there any way to adapt a units defence points in certain terrain. ie Catch a HMG in open terrain and its defence isnt better than it is now but attack it in a trench and you'll need 5 full strength infantry to take it out?

This would enable the scenario to create the stalemate feel of the war. You'd need to hurry with those combat engineers and this would also re-create the opening rush of the war as it really happened.

Thoughts?

5. Rocoteh

Rocoteh Deity

CellKu,

I am glad to hear that you liked Snoopys terrain.

As I see it land- and sea-mines should not be
    a problem to install in TGW.

Best Regards

Rocoteh

6. Palmerston

Palmerston Chieftain

You guys are the most sophisticated scenario team we have. Thank you. Cant wait to play the next installment. :)

7. Rocoteh

Rocoteh Deity

8. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

To the Russian forces: I think there should be masses but only conscripts AND with much lesser values for attack and defense. They outnumbered the Germans and Austrians but they had not the morale and the weapons to fight effectively. Soldiers were sent unarmed into battle to take the weapon of a dead comrade! So being undeveloped Russia should be huge but also have weak units and only a few factories- mostly in the west! There should also be not many routes.

Adler

9. Rocoteh

Rocoteh Deity

10. Sarevok

11. Rocoteh

Rocoteh Deity

Germany Active 11-15 +1HP Russia Active 4-8
    (Stats changed)

Rocoteh

12. Sarevok

for ballance, id prefer to keep the German unit where they are, unless we are planning to change everything...

13. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

My two cents from the cheap seats is that it is going to be difficult given the game engine having units go at it in one at a time in single combat.

The Russians and the AH troops were about an even match with the Russians usually getting the better of it, although usually at great expense. (Witness the battles in 1914 and also Bruslov's offense). The Germans pretty much advanced at will and usually, the only question was going to be how many casualties they would take. I don't believe the Russians ever got any place with the Germans in an offensive action in WW1 and if I remember rightly, they never really tried after the opening campaign in 1914.

14. Sarevok

That is true, Russian troops were weaker than Germans, but they could beat the AH troops. The Brusilov offensive and the campaign in the Carpathians until Limanowa show that. As does Tannenberg for the Germans.

15. CellKu

CellKu Emperor

That is great to hear! Do you think the next version will already have them? This scenarios gets more and more features! :) Great! :)

CellKu

16. froglegs

froglegs Chieftain

To me it appears that one of the problems of the scenario is probably due to the game engine. IMHO, units in the Great War era should be able to either move, or attack but not do both in a turn. This would recreate the need to mass troops and artillery prior the the start of an offensive thereby telegraphing the intent of an imminent offensive. It all seems just too mobile otherwise.

17. CellKu

CellKu Emperor

18. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

Mines. Very interesting, but I doubt the AI is intelligent to handle them. And even if you can deploy mines you ahould only have special units to fight against them. In ww 1 sea mines were used in a never known extent. Hundreds of ships were sunk, like the British dreadnought Audacious, others like the Japanese battlecruiser Haruna or the German dreadnought Ostfriesland were damaged. Only special mine sweepers could handle the mines. But how to introduce? If a BB drives in a mine field in the game she will attack the mines. Is the value too high the mines will sink the ship. If you take a special unit as mine sweeper you must have a very high attack value to be able to cope with the mines. But if they have a too high value a mine sweeper is a better warship than a dreadnought. I doubt it is possible to implement a unit which can only be attacked by a certain other unit. However that should be introduced in civ 4 but for civ 3 it is unfortunately nearly impossible to use mines useful.

Adler

19. Sarevok

That is the thing, Im still wondering on how to implement mines in the game effectively. I want to, but im not sure how to do it...

20. Sarevok

Attention:

TGW 1.3 is scheduled with or without flags for March 7th. Please post all things you wish to see changed form not on or else they will not be included in for 1.3