The Greatest City?

Are those serious nominations? :confused: I know that they are goodish cities, but are they that good? Being sandwiched between sea and desert with no rivers is not really useful. I just do not see Algiers comparing to London, for example.

I agree, we shouldn't nominate every city that has clams or fish. Otherwise the poll will get out of hand.

I nominate the city in the delta of Amazon, on the plains. I think it is named Belem. It has exceptional commerce and nearly every tile is next to river. Also it is a coastal city with only few coast tiles.

I nominate the city in the delta of Amazon, on the plains. I think it is named Belem. It has exceptional commerce and nearly every tile is next to river. Also it is a coastal city with only few coast tiles.

I agree. Depending on the founder civ it's called: Belém, France Equinoxiale or Fort ?Zeelandia?.

Recife/Mauritsstad is a nice one too.
If I'm playing the Dutch I never know which one of those spots to colonize first before the Portuguese take it.

How about Geneve (2N of Marseilles)? The city with 600 AD start gets: pigs, wheat, 2xstone, wine, horses, iron, 2xalluminium and coal. In addition all of its tiles are riverside so it's th best production site on the map. It does have 3 mountains in the BFC but so does Budapest. And it's in the German yellow zone:)

This is the list of nominations so far. Different names for the same tile are put down with most well known one first (correct me if needed please). When people run out of reasonable ideas, nomination will close, and I will start a new thread for voting, with all of the nominations in the OP, as well as an explanation for how it will work. If a great city is somehow missed, it will be added in, and people may change their votes, but I doubt that there arte too many “best” cities left. Feel free to ask for the location of cities if you wish. Also, there cities take into account the entire fat cross, and proximity to other cities does not matter.

Here is the list of everything that has been mentioned so far:

North America (12)
Spoiler :
Chicago
Denver (Oil)
Denver (Hill)
Grand Forks
Milwaukee
New York
Oklahoma
Philedelphia
Sioux Falls
Tlaxcala
Washington
Wichita

South America (6)
Spoiler :
Belém/France Equinoxiale/Fort Zeelandia (Amazon Delta)
Buenos Aires
Caracas
Montevideo
Recife/Mauritsstad
Rio de Janeiro

Europe (27)
Spoiler :
Amiens/Samarobriva
Athens
Budapest
Constantinople/Byzantion/Istanbul
Copenhagen/Kopenhagen
Danzig
Dublin
Dyrrachium/Durres
Frankfurt/Maize/Suttgart
Frankfurt (1 North)
Geneve (2N of Marseilles)
Kiev
Limerick
Lisbonne/Lisboa/Lisbon
London
Lulea
Montevideo/River Plates
[City 1 South of Moscow]
Nottingham
Novosibirsk
Ponta Deglada
Riga
Rome
[1 north of Rome]
Zagreb
Southampton
Voronezh

Asia (13)
Spoiler :
Anomen
Bangkok
Beijing
Chennai
Delhi
Hiroshima
Konya
Samarkand/Afrosaib
Seoul/Hancheng/Hanseong/Keijou
Shanghai
Susa/Sushan/Sush
Tokyo/Edo
Wuhan

Australia/Indonesia/Oceania/Africa (7)
Spoiler :
Al-Karijah/Luxor
Durban/Sofala/Winburg
Jayakarta
Manila
Port Nolloth
Singapura/Singapore
Sydney/Adelaide/Nieuw Holland/ Terre Napoléon

(65 Cities)

Alternatively, I can do separate polls for each continent/region.

Please correct me if there are any mistakes. :)

Since I can not edit the OP, this will be used to keep track of the nominations. When I can not edit this, I will repost it with updates.

Winburg, Sofala and Durban are in South Africa, not North America.

They also are on the same tile (1 NE of gold or on the gold) with a Dutch, Portuguese and English name respectively.

Because there aren't any Australian cities yet:

I would like to nominate: Sydney and Adelaide (after 1850, when they have sheep in BFC).

They are both called Nieuw Holland if founded by the Dutch and Adelaide is called Terre Napoléon by France.

Than you! :D Changes shall be made shortly. (In other word, directly after posting this.)

For Chinese: Beijing(1E of starting point), all 20 plots, coast but no river.
Pyongyang (1N of Hancheng, on pig), all 20 plots, iron, river, 2 forest hill, many food and calender resources......

And there is one city I think best for ironworks: Hanoi. 16 river tiles, many foods and hills, and it is coastal. After biology, it can be better than Denver.

There is 3 decent plot in Mongolia too.

Chojbalsan (on the desert hill 2 E of Ulaan-Ude) after ~1800 AD with corn, sheep and horses is potentialy the best Mongolian city (within their core area).

Seems simpler to just repost occasionally, so yeah. Nominations will end if a whole day goes without any, or the nominations start degrading.

This is the list of nominations so far. Different names for the same tile are put down with most well known one first (correct me if needed please). When people run out of reasonable ideas, nomination will close, and I will start a new thread for voting, with all of the nominations in the OP, as well as an explanation for how it will work. If a great city is somehow missed, it will be added in, and people may change their votes, but I doubt that there arte too many “best” cities left. Feel free to ask for the location of cities if you wish. Also, there cities take into account the entire fat cross, and proximity to other cities does not matter.

Here is the list of everything that has been mentioned so far:

North America (12)
Spoiler :
Chicago
Denver (Oil)
Denver (Hill)
Grand Forks
Milwaukee
New York
Oklahoma
Philedelphia
Sioux Falls
Tlaxcala
Washington
Wichita

South America (6)
Spoiler :
Belém/France Equinoxiale/Fort Zeelandia (Amazon Delta)
Buenos Aires
Caracas
Montevideo
Recife/Mauritsstad
Rio de Janeiro

Europe (27)
Spoiler :
Amiens/Samarobriva
Athens
Budapest
Constantinople/Byzantion/Istanbul
Copenhagen/Kopenhagen
Danzig
Dublin
Dyrrachium/Durres
Frankfurt/Maize/Suttgart
Frankfurt (1 North)
Geneve (2N of Marseilles)
Kiev
Limerick
Lisbonne/Lisboa/Lisbon
London
Lulea
Montevideo/River Plates
[City 1 South of Moscow]
Nottingham
Novosibirsk
Ponta Deglada
Riga
Rome
[1 north of Rome]
Zagreb
Southampton
Voronezh

Asia (19)
Spoiler :
Anomen
Bangkok
Beijing
Beijing (1 East)
Chennai
Chojbalsan (on the desert hill 2 E of Ulaan-Ude)
Delhi
Hanoi
Hiroshima
Karakorum
Konya
Pyongyang (1N of Hancheng, on pig)
Samarkand/Afrosaib
Seoul/Hancheng/Hanseong/Keijou
Shanghai
Susa/Sushan/Sush
Tokyo/Edo
Ulan Ude
Wuhan

Australia/Indonesia/Oceania/Africa (7)
Spoiler :
Al-Karijah/Luxor
Durban/Sofala/Winburg
Jayakarta
Manila
Port Nolloth
Singapura/Singapore
Sydney/Adelaide/Nieuw Holland/ Terre Napoléon

(70 Cities)

Alternatively, I can do separate polls for each continent/region.

Please correct me if there are any mistakes. :)

Since I can not edit the OP, this will be used to keep track of the nominations. When I can not edit this, I will repost it with updates.

You should maybe do seperate polls for each country,and then put the city that won the polls together in a big final poll.

Sounds interesting, but what about overlapping cities, ones that are not in any core areas, and poor civilizations like Carthage and Maya?
I was thinking maybe geographical regions, but then it would probably come down to Europe vs. US.

I have a plan. Basically, everyone gets 10 votes that they can use, but may not use multiple for the same city. (They basically select their top 10, votes can be changed.) I sort the cities by how many votes that they have until voting stagnates, and then do finals for the top cities. I have done it before, and as long as people vote with a bit of consideration, and at least 10 or so people do so, then it works out quite nicely. (Though more is always better.) Chances are that there will be only a few cities, on most peoples' lists, which will make it to finals, so yeah.

Top Bottom