The Greatest Events in the History of Civ II

Peaster

Emperor
Intro: It would be cool to know when somebody first succeeded at OCC, when was the first online PBEM, etc. People can post notable events below, and add anecdotes, and correct my mistakes.

Great Events before AD 2000: [none recalled, so far.... when was Civ2 released, anyway? when was CFC started ? Poly ? other sites ?]

Great Events from AD 2000 thru AD 2001:
. Solo started a series of comparison games that led to his ELG at about this time.
. and [I think] Samson achieved the first OCC at about this time.
. The first CFC GOTM must have been in approx 2000.

Great Events from AD 2002 thru AD 2003: [.... when were FT, MGE released ... ?]
. The longest known PBEM began in 2002 [Kull's "Ancient Empires" PBEM]. It has apparently ended now, in Summer 2008.
. Zenon demonstrates a "robust" approach to EL games.
. I'd guess that Andu wrote up Starlifter's ideas on Power Democracy about this time.
. Also, the first Multiplayer games must have been about this time (?) and the first real scenarios (?)
. I guess the first No-City conquest by Trader Vic was about 2002.

AD 2004 thru AD 2005:

. Peaster plays EC comparison games at Poly with solo, zenon, La Fayette, etc, and develops the EC strategy guide. He wins Gold and Green in his first GOTM at CFC.
. Elephant writes his "Tips... " thread at about this time.
. Slowthinker plays a famous EC game at Poly showing the possibilities of Trade in EC games. See also GOTM 41 (or was it 43?)
. The Polish version of CFC folds (in 2005/2006 ?)
. Ace posts the highest score in the CFC HOF (year?)

AD 2006 thru AD 2007:

. Elephant leads a few OCC comparison games at Poly, and shows that the Paulicy is a bit outdated. However, I cannot make any clear conclusions from the games, and no new position papers arose.
. Grigor buys a Mac and drops out of GOTMs. Civ2 loses some other oldtimers to Civ4 about this time. But we are joined by Magic Gorter, CharlieChuck, etc (and Uruwashi?)
. Another very popular player, La Fayette, passed on (maybe 2005?).
. Some amazing Civ2 patches are posted at CFC (I forget the guy's name....)
. Starlifter and Andu are spotted briefly at CFC
. Smash held the top score in the CFC GOTM HOF for years, but was passed by the young Turks; Grigor, Peaster and Ali.

AD 2008 thru AD 2009:
. Peaster experiments with Primitive Conquest and plays comparison games mainly with Magic Gorter, which prove that world conquest is possible with just warriors.
. End of Kull's "Ancient Empires" PBEM (perhaps the last major Civ2 PBEM at Poly?)
. The 100th GOTM at CFC should occur in 8 more months!

Eivind IV unleashes the latest version of his NATO versus WARPAC classic, First Stike!The time is 1975, where the current world tensions is at an ease, but with developing world events, and one of the superpowers in your hands, this may very well change.This is a geopolitical CIV2 MGE scenario where you can choose between various nations and superpowers to determine the fate of the world, and the threat of nuclear war is ever present. A lovely big world map with interlocking alliances and `tip the balance` regions to conquer all await the daring NATO/WARPAC player...One wrong move can cause WWIII...!

Top Bottom