The Greatest Game

Yeah, names are complicated. Nuke preferred to use alternative names: Kahire and the Jin names are his. I just defaulted to English names because it's simpler to update and easier on the players.

But there is another reason I decided against it. The proposed Philippines name and the use of Italian names in Egypt are good examples. In the former case, the problem is that there's no guarantee Tagalog will have the same importance as in OTL and I find it strange that the chosen word would be one that Tagalog speakers wouldn't have used. I do accept the need for a name change for the Philippines because it's obviously silly. But I would tend to prefer a Japanese word which would make sense given the fluff. In the latter case, the "Italians" in Egypt are speaking Napoletano. It would also be rather different in TTL because it has a rich written tradition and a generous patron in government keen to promote it.

Having said all that, I will accept name changes when there's a compelling reason to make a change. The Philippines is an example. Using non-Turkish names in Anatolia is. If a St Petersburg analogue existed, it would be another. Using the Japanese word for Korea wouldn't pass the test. Neither would Italian words for Egypt generally. Incidentally I think using Kahire was a good choice because it shows how it's only a minor provincial town in TTL. Had it been more important it might have been renamed.

Spelling problem noted. One thing you missed is the hilariously inconsistent titling/naming of nobles.

As to your first point, the intention of both Nuke and I going in was to make everyone pay attention to the domestic situation because that's what actual states do and, at least in my view, it tends to be a lot more interesting than war alone.

As to your first point, the intention of both Nuke and I going in was to make everyone pay attention to the domestic situation because that's what actual states do and, at least in my view, it tends to be a lot more interesting than war alone.
I totally agree. It also reflects the contradictions that most of ancien régime had to deal with during the 19th century transformation to semi-modern administrative states. So keep it up, it's fun.

You could call it Ma-I then. Song/Yuan name for a kingdom in the archipelago which was then used by some Chinese historians of the period for the islands themselves.

Dear Dominion
From the Holy Roman Emperor

Please stop your insane saber rattling over some property values and in your inane efforts to demand anything from Paris.

Dear Dominion
From the Holy Roman Emperor

Please stop your insane saber rattling over some property values and in your inane efforts to demand anything from Paris.

no

The allegations of the French ambassador are absurd and in very poor taste. The Dominions is committed to a peaceful, humanistic foreign policy with all of its neighbors and constant engagement on a wide array of mutual affairs. Simply inquiring about the opinion of His Imperial Majesty and making our interest clear should not be met with insults and accusations, especially in matters relating to our own security and economy.

We're simply interested in the price of fish, as the common man says.

Last edited:
We will stop dismissing your points when you stop suggesting things for the Holy Roman Empire to do because some archbishop said something.

I mean, for goodness's sake, we stopped saying that you should eat fish for Lent years ago.

In any case, our position on the matter is clear and, despite our efforts to be discrete, publicized.

Politics of the matter is certainly complex and Dominion opinion on the matter was already noted as a concern before your discrete attempt. As your objections were already known to us publicly, we saw no reason to conceal them.

Your point that the HRE should not ban slavery in New France due to concerns of decreasing or otherwise endangering the institution in your own colonies is noted. We are aware of this issue and are already working on the solution to handle the issue in a way that is satisfactory and safe for HRE even without Dominion input.

Hey, a question for Nuke and Masada: do we already have finalized stats? Did I miss them?

You didn't. But the stats nuke posted are close to final. The only changes I'm making are to the expense side. I forgot to include a steam option for ships. Oops.

The dossiers remaining to do are Rome, Jin, Houji, and Song. Last bits (including stats) should be done this weekend and we can set an order deadline. Thank you for your patience!

All dossiers sent. Ruleset and stats should be up shortly so that we can set the official first deadline. :)

Current ruleset is up. Please let me know if you have any questions. Should have stats up tonight and will set the order deadline.

STATS are up and we are good to go! I am going to set the deadline right now at March 16th at 5 PM PST. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Added a FAQ on the white and grey bits of the map! Just a reminder, orders are due in eight days now :)

On that note, if anyone has anything they want added to the FAQ now is the time to ask.

Top Bottom