The Guitar Thread

lordsurya08

class-A procrastinator
Here's a thread for all you guitarists out there (hopefully there are some of you!). Ask questions, share answers, discuss guitar songs and pieces, or even post vids of your own playing if you like!

______

I'll get the ball rolling with a question:

Suppose I was playing a solo with a series of fast triplets. The first one goes like this (standard tuning)

E----9-7---
B--------9-

This I can play easily by using pinky to fret 9, pull off to 7, and while pulling off move pick to B string and pick 7 with ring finger. This is easy, I can do it all day.

How would I play this one at the same speed though?

E---7-----
B-----9-7-

This one is tricky, and I can't get the same speed as the first one. I have to pick the 7 on the E and quickly move my pick to fret the 9 on B - but not fast enough.

I suppose I could play the same thing on different frets

E--7-4--- /* same as the one above */
B------7-

but I don't know if this is the ideal solution, as, I'm stretching my fingers quite a bit, and can't transition from the first triplet to the second very quickly. Or do I simply need to practice it more?

I would personally put my index finger across both the E and the B strings on the 7th fret (barre), and use my ring finger to fret the 9th fret on the B string.

Pulling off to the last note, I would just do two upward picks (like a mini-strum)

I would personally put my index finger across both the E and the B strings on the 7th fret (barre), and use my ring finger to fret the 9th fret on the B string.

Pulling off to the last note, I would just do two upward picks (like a mini-strum)

Thanks for the help. I'm started using this technique, but it's not perfect: once I pick the E string, it sustains because I'm not lifting my finger.

Being familiar both with guitar tab and classical notation by way of drums, I have to say I find classical notation much easier to read once you get the hang of it, and it gives you much more info to boot.

Being familiar both with guitar tab and classical notation by way of drums, I have to say I find classical notation much easier to read once you get the hang of it, and it gives you much more info to boot.

This. If I had a dollar for every guitarist that didn't know how to read music...:shake:

Okay, but "Everyone go learn to read 'proper' music notation" isn't exactly a helpful contribution, is it? I thought we were here to discuss playing guitar. Presumably we don't all read music, so we can't discuss playing actual songs if we have to limit ourselves to "proper" notation for Classical_Hero's sake. Seriously, pointless post is pointless.

I'm curious to hear if anyone here has experience with taking adult guitar lessons. I'm largely self-taught and while I'm generally familiar with the basics, I know my technique is poor, my fingering is probably not "proper" by any stretch, but I know enough to get around. I'm just wondering, do I sign up for beginner lessons given that I've never had formal guitar training? Or do I sign up for something more intermediate since I've been playing for 10+ years?

I'm curious to hear if anyone here has experience with taking adult guitar lessons. I'm largely self-taught and while I'm generally familiar with the basics, I know my technique is poor, my fingering is probably not "proper" by any stretch, but I know enough to get around. I'm just wondering, do I sign up for beginner lessons given that I've never had formal guitar training? Or do I sign up for something more intermediate since I've been playing for 10+ years?

Umm, I'd go with intermediate, assuming you don't want to spend the first 3 weeks relearning how to play a G :p. However I think the best option for you would be a private tutor. The tutor can give you the one on one advice that you need to work out the few kinks on your otherwise good ability.

Okay, but "Everyone go learn to read 'proper' music notation" isn't exactly a helpful contribution, is it? I thought we were here to discuss playing guitar. Presumably we don't all read music, so we can't discuss playing actual songs if we have to limit ourselves to "proper" notation for Classical_Hero's sake. Seriously, pointless post is pointless.

I suggest some 1 on 1 lesson setting. I had been playing for 2 years (self taught) back in 2007 and took a beginner class at the local community college. Biggest waste of my time ever. I really wish I had taken 1 on 1 training though.

Agree, go for 1 on 1, that's how I take drum lessons and it's by far the best way to do it, as everything can be tailored directly to your current level and skill set.

Learning how to play proper music notation will help you in the long run. It is a great skill to have and it is worth you while, if you want to further your musical skill. For most other instruments it's a must. If Mirc was here to see that, then he would agree with me.

Yeah I was thinking a class like Pete mentioned would probably be a waste of time. I know the basic major and minor chords already, I don't need to spend hours learning how to hold a pick or play A-minor. :) I'm a little hesitant to use a tutor but I suppose they get all kinds of people with various skill levels. Once they get over the initial burst of laughter at my playing, it'd probably be fine. :lol:

We do have one really nice guitar studio here in town that I'm interested in, but they tend to be pretty expensive. My other option in a smaller secondhand instrument store, which will be cheaper. How much have you guys paid for private lessons in the past?

Learning how to play proper music notation will help you in the long run. It is a great skill to have and it is worth you while, if you want to further your musical skill. For most other instruments it's a must. If Mirc was here to see that, then he would agree with me.

I don't think anyone would disagree that learning to read music is helpful for playing music, so citing random people who would agree with a bland statement like that is sort of irrelevant. "Use proper musical notation" is a pointless thing to say to people who are discussing a song in a forum thread about playing guitar. Tablature is adequate for that purpose - and perhaps you've noticed that CFC forum posts don't come out on staff paper, so "proper musical notation" isn't even possible here.

Reading tab is fine too, CH. Let's face it, most songs aren't even available in classical music notation, so if you want to play most modern songs you have to learn tab either way. I think it's best to learn both :).

As far as guitar lessons, I can't say, but for my drum tutor it's $50 for an hour lesson and that seems like the standard going rate here in San Diego. I imagine that's pretty comparable between instruments. Might be different where you are, cost of living here is quite high so rates are probably a little high too. I also wouldn't worry about him laughing, tutors that laugh at their less skilled students are going to find themselves out of work quickly lol.

Another thing to think about is just finding a buddy to play with that's better than you. Sometimes just playing with someone better than you will help a lot, even if it isn't a "lesson" type thing.

Well, the great number of rock/pop musicians didn't know how to read music notation - eg. the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

I myself can read music, as I learned piano for 4 years. However, I feel that for guitar, tabs are much more useful as tablature not only reveals not only the notes played but also the frets.

Top Bottom