the happy birthday threads

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Redbad, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Redbad

Redbad should have shaved

In danger of being called a spoilsport:

I've noticed an increase of happy-birthday threads lately.

What's the reason and purpose of these threads and are we to congratulate all of the (on average ?) 100 competitors in GOTM or is there a distinct class?

What do you feel about this?

2. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Well, I'm not rigorous about it, but if I notice that a particular day is the birthday of as "known" gotm player, then I'll make a thread for it. Anyone should feel free to do the same (but reserve it for people who are active gotm participants!)

3. solenoozerec

solenoozerec Stranger

Precisely.
    I started two recently. I noticed these birthdays by chance. I would not start it if I see just a familiar name. However, I would start it for someone who in my opinion is significant for this forum in some way, as a player as a spoiler writer as stuff or in some other way.
    IMHO Dianthus and Kuningas are certainly not ordinary people here.

4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

I also started one, for Cracker. Cracker no longer appears to be active, but he was instrumental in making the XOTM series as good as it is. It seemed a small recognition for his contributions. Those who disapprove shouldn't post in them.

5. solenoozerec

solenoozerec Stranger

I become familiar with this site after those times when Cracker was responsible for GOTM.
    I doubt that any successful XOTM player is not familiar with Cracker's Civ3 Opening Plays Site
    I can only regret about the fact that I missed Crackers times.

6. Birdjaguar

Someone should list all the great additions Cracker made to GOTM, as well as, those contributed by others while he was in charge. My favorite was the ship eating giant squid.

7. Redbad

Be sure, I'm not in any doubt that the people celebrated in these threads are famous CIVvers. And that people like Dianthus and Cracker have done much more for the GOTM's than your average GOTM-player.

But on the other hand one must admit that the reconnition of their achievements often comes implicite in this forum. For example when in an answer to a question Dianthus CRpSuite is mentioned, or other example, when Kuningas gets a medal and an award when his submitted game is rated.

My objection to these happy birthday threads is simply that they are neither entertaining nor informative. So if you ask me: keep those threads limited to the more special birthday's like for example just over two years ago when SirPleb turned 50.

8. Jove

Jove Not Lacking Altitude

Arrr, I don't want to pick a fight with any Netherlandians, but I really don't mind the happy birthday/forum celebrity recognition stuff. Fact is, I am more fond of some of these characters than you might expect from rows of 0's and 1's. Am I getting soft then? Is that why I keep losing?

9. Aeson

Aeson orangesoda Retired Moderator

March 6... that's when ainwood will get his revenge... ;)

Personally I think B-days should be off-topic forum stuff. It's nice and mostly harmless stuff (at least when it's not mine) though, so whatever ainwood wants to do/allow is fine with me.

10. Birdjaguar

B day threads do show up regularly in OT, but they are mostly limited to those who post in OT. I'm not sure may GOTM players post in OT, so if their B days were noted there, they would never see them. One solution would be to post in GOTM and then have a mod move it to OT and leave the link in GOTM so players could go and add their greeting.

@Redbad: I am sorry that we are not entertaining enough for you; you could go watch TV or you could help make them more entertaining by witty posts or limericks or with pictures of you wearing a funny hat.

Wishing good cheer to those who post here
    Is upsetting to Redbad, I fear;
    Happy Birthday threads
    For every Tom Dick and Ned
    Is a thing we shouldn't go near.
    ;)

11. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

W've seen your witty limerick, so where's the funny hat :mischief:

12. col

col Old Fart Retired Moderator

What we need is another fabulously funky friday... :rolleyes:

13. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

Except the OT mods might not like that... :mischief:

14. Birdjaguar

I always aim to please. But I was hoping to encourage others to raise the bar on their posts.

15. solenoozerec

solenoozerec Stranger

I agree that it is not very informative, but there are elements of both, entertainment and information:
    1. I guess it is entertaining for those who have birthday. If awards and medals acknowledge your play performance, this one demonstrates people appreciation.
    2. It is informative. Example:

You could use it like this: Next time you will see a thread “Happy b-day, Heck” you can post there: “What’s the Heck?”
    And I guess someone will explain you that Heck did The Thing. Then you can ask what that Thing is and someone will tell you and after that you may decide to use that Thing next time you play :D

16. Redbad

Oh no,
    I give in, celebrate all you like
    just don't count on me

17. Doc Tsiolkovski

Doc Tsiolkovski Deity

It's perfectly fine for me. The nice thing about the XotM fora is that all important topics are sticky, so if you don't want to bother with the Happy Birthday threads, just don't scroll down. It's not like they would make the important info harder to spot at first sight.

Keep them coming.

18. Jove

Jove Not Lacking Altitude

Arrrr, Redbad, look at it another way. Let's say it was Your birthday we were taking away! Just do the math:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81043&stc=1 " align="" border="0" />

Convinced yet?

Attached Files:

19. Theophilus

Theophilus Chieftain

See how much fun it is to celebrate?

Attached Files:

20. Mistfit

Mistfit Deity

I of course am fond of this type of hat
    There once was a civ'ver named Red
    Who woke on the wrong side of the bed
    To our great dismay
    He canceled my birthday
    so I put a goofy hat on his head :D

I like them. If you don't...don't post in em. BTW how is this thread any more "informative" or "entertaining" that a B-Day greeting?

Edit:
    Oh yeah....Spoilsport :p

Edit #2:
    I forgot Happy birthday to the following:
    luciusc, LittlePick, Physicist, rmcdon03, wwwwwwwwww, North King, Sun_Ce, pickenscm, davers (49), RainWillow (45), Dogzilla (39), Graf (38), Jeppe Gejr (38), eddiedk (36), NetFu (35), mrstinky (35), BaronX (34), InfamousButcher (33), Parmenion (33), Bradd (33), nicklas_lj (33), PrOpHeT (32), vannhong (32), gogoK (32), seamus (31), DaSilva (31), LukeWarm (31), Gromdar (31), mmm_ok (31), Airness (30), straydog (30), afarias (30), Chieftess (28), CyVan (28), Euric (27), hagart23 (26), Yucca (26), Turk417 (25), CodeRed (25), Slegr (25), Suleiman Pasha (24), elektrotal (24), TRAYN (23), Chrill (22), rshaw (22), kirbythechef (21), consolide (21), Thanatos (21), D' Artagnan (21), Ted_Janus (21), allhailIndia (20), dejv (20), Setesh (18), deathfencer (17), EmperorJay (17), giant (6)
    Especially Chieftess "Moderator Extrodinaire" :bday: