1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Happy Warmonger?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by CharlieM, Jun 29, 2012.

1. CharlieM

CharlieM Creative, Spiritual

Having made my path to victory very difficult in my first G&K game, and being not that great at the game, I seek wisdom for my next playthrough as a warmonger.

How the heck do you roll over the world, and maintain happiness?

Backdrop: I am on King, playing as Genghis on a large continents map. Have not been that focused on a victory path .... I just tend to plow ahead and see what happens. Reduced the number of City-States to 10. In 1988, I have a score 400 higher than anyone else, and double or more most Civs. I killed off Japan, Germany and the US on my continent. The only other possible winner is Egypt on the other continent. Strangely, due to geography and perhaps poor choices, I have not attacked any City States. Instead, I am Allies with 7 right now. I founded four cities, took three into my empire after conquest, and have puppeted 22 cities. I have 135 Unhappiness coming from puppeted populations, and I am currently at -16 Happy. I am getting 52 Happy from luxury resources. I did not focus my Social Policies correctly, methinks, for this Warmongering strategy. Plus, I have not made friends in the world, except for City States!

And thus, I find myself biding my time, unable to attack and keep expanding until I get to Protectionism (finally!) in another five turns.

Questions:
    1) What did I miss? What's the basic strategy for keeping yourself Happy as you steamroll city after city?

2) How can I better handle diplomacy next time? Should I have made nice with a Civ or two with the luxuries I needed? There are several Civs right now who won't Trade with me on any kind of reasonable terms, and they have luxuries I could use.

3) What are the key Social Policies to focus on for a domination victory, vis-a-vis the Happiness problem?

2. Cel.erity

Cel.erity Chieftain

You didn't specify your difficulty. Anyway, some general tips:

-Happiness is easier in G+K because there are more luxuries. If you're conquering enough, you should eventually have all the luxuries. Trade or ally CSes for the ones you don't have.

-Honor, Commerce, and Rationalism all give decent happiness bonuses which should keep you positive.

-Make sure to raze or overwrite farms in puppet cities with trading posts, you don't want them getting too large. If you get a large puppet in your empire, consider selling it to an AI for tons of gold and then just reconquering it later, or raze it entirely. You certainly don't need every city.

-Go after AIs that you know have built wonders like Notre Dame, The Forbidden Palace, etc. or build them yourself.

Overall I've found happiness in G+K to be almost a non-issue compared to vanilla, the extra luxuries make warmongering much smoother.

3. Kiwan

Kiwan Chieftain

If you get to the industrial era, in the autocracy solicy policy tree there is a policy which increases the happiness of courthouses by 3. Take this, and annex your cities when happiness permits/gold permits, and build/buy courthouses. This will also give you control of the city, so you can make sure it's building theatres/coloseums etc. With autocracy giving you culture when you take a city, the culture hit from more cities isn't as horrible as it once was, and you should probably reach the end of the autocracy policy tree, which is all you really want with late-game domination.

Allowing civs to take back cities, and therefore reducing the population of the city is also a good method for reducing unhappiness. As Cel.erity said, make sure you raze farms as you conquer so your puppet cities don't grow as fast.

4. CharlieM

Great. Very helpful, and thanks.

I would love to hear advice also on the topic of Making Friends.

Is there a way to play kiss-up with some civs, while you are beating the tar out of other ones? Whenever I play a warmonger strategy, I end up with everyone hating me and then I can't get a decent trade for Luxury resources.

5. Esperr

Esperr King

one, dont let the cities you take get to big unless its a really good city(like a capitol) and other then that you can either go for socail policies(every tree has a good one for happiness, almost every tree anyway), conversly, you can do some early game slayin, stabalize and go into courthouses/colloseums and junk, and then resume the slayin/rinse and repeat.

6. CharlieM

Ah, my mistake has been to take every city from my enemy, one-by-one, puppeting them all as I go. And then ignoring them.