The HARRY POTTER Advent Calender Reading Challenge

Pontiuth Pilate

Republican Jesus!
As we all know, the 7th and last Harry Potter book will be released on July 21.

Thus, starting today, I’ll be reading 8 chapters a day and posting my comments and speculations. Y’all are welcome to join me! We will finish Book 6 on the day before Deathly Hallows is released.

This is a good way to revisit the series, prepare for book 7 and review unresolved mysteries which, despite what you may think, appear as early as the very first chapter of the first book.

The calendar starts tomorrow (which means your reading should start today).

Reading Assignment for July 1: Chapters 1-8 of Book One.

I'll re-read the 6th book to refresh my memory for the coming 7th book.

I'll re-read The Order of the Phoenix to refresh my memory for the movie.

This thread will be utterly epic if it turns out well.

Analysis: Book One Ch. 1-8

In this analysis, I’ll try to focus only on things you might have missed instead of regurgitating the plot, etc. I’m writing, remember, with an eye to how Book 7 will resolve the series.

However, I want to start by saying that after having the memory of the movies Obliviated from my mind, returning to these books which I first read a decade ago and last read back when HBP came out, is an immensely enjoyable experience. :D imho there are two ways to approach Harry Potter - as a literary journey to be enjoyed and as a mystery to be analyzed - and I like both. But if no one enjoyed Harry Potter, no one would bother to analyze it ;)

------------------------

My overall point in this series will be that Harry is an UNRELIABLE NARRATOR. Unreliable narrators say things (and even see and do things) that bias the reader towards an incomplete understanding of the full picture. The most obvious example of this throughout the books is how Harry’s relationship with Snape predisposes him (and us) to tag him as a villain and horrible person. Because other aspects of Snape’s character (such as what caused him to come to Dumbledore to offer himself as a double agent… not to mention his relationship with Lily Potter) are hidden from us by the structure of the narrative until Harry discovers them, we have a de facto incomplete view of Snape.

So in general, when reading from the mystery perspective, a good idea is to take NOTHING at face value, especially anything that seems as though it has passed through what we’ll call the “Harry filter.”

------------------------

Now: ON TO THE MYSTERIES!

First mystery: the missing day. Did you catch this, reading chapter 1? Rowling tries to slip it by us, but there is nearly a 24 hour gap in the story she’s telling. Here’s what happened, in order:

Night of October 31: Murders at Godric’s Hollow occur near midnight. Voldemort flees.

November 1: Hagrid arrives and takes Harry from the ruins very early in the morning. Sirius arrives, gives Hagrid his motorbike. McGonagall meets Hagrid right before he leaves, and is at Privet Drive by morning. Sometime in the afternoon, Sirius catches up to Pettigrew and they duel. Dumbledore arrives at Privet Drive at nightfall. Hagrid arrives at midnight, delivers Harry, and leaves - notice that he has not heard anything about Sirius.

We know that Hagrid went from Hogwarts (somewhere in northeast Scotland) to wherever Godric’s Hollow is; then he flew to 4 Privet Drive (in Surrey). He notes that he flew over Bristol, suggesting that GH is in Wales (where JKR was born!). But if so, it surely doesn’t take 18-24 hours to fly from Wales to London. In fact it’s probably 1/2 that time by car.

This leads to one of what will be many Unanswered Questions.

UAQ #1: Where were Hagrid and Harry all day November 1? Why was Hagrid sent and how did he get there so fast? How did Dumbledore know so quickly?

Naturally, there are an assortment of other minor questions about the house and the aftermath.

UAQ #2: Did the rebounding AK curse really destroy the house? If not, who did? What happened to Lily & James’s bodies and their wands? We know Pettigrew eventually claimed V’s wand: was he on the scene immediately? Who else was there?

We’ll have more questions about the account Rowling has given us of the night Harry nearly died, but I’ll wait to present them until we reach the parts in future books that contradict what we’ve been told here. Suffice it to say that Rowling does NOT want you to take this initial account at face value.

The rest of our reading was just as fun, but without any great mysteries - although, since it’s setting the backdrop for the series, we’ll later be called to question a lot of the exposition here (such as Hagrid‘s excuse for why V wanted to kill Harry).

Since we encounter the first of oh so many times that people mention Lily’s eyes, we’ll stick that here:

UAQ #3: Why is it so important that Harry “Looks like his father, but has his mother’s eyes?”

For tomorrow, please finish Book One. After that we’ll discuss some interesting stylistic elements Rowling uses in the task sequence, and we’ll have cause for our first of many Unwarranted Speculations (UWS). We’ll also discuss the Invisibility Cloak, which Rowling has hinted very strongly is connected to the mystery of what exactly happened that Halloween nearly 20 years ago. So: pay attention when Dumbledore brings that up.

Reading Assignment for July 2: Chapters 9-17 of Book One.

There was a degree in Harry potter somewhere in Europe, maybe you should look into it Pontiuth? neverthless i shall be checking up to see what 'unanswered questions' you come up with.

I'm up to book 5 on my reread. Before each book (since GoF), I've reread the whole series.

The question is whether we can finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows before Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword comes out.

Harry Potter 7 > BTS.

Anywho, I've been reading it again as well (I'm partially through Goblet of Fire) and I never noticed this "missing day." I did find it odd that McGonagel knew where to be and got there early in the morning but it took Hagrid all day. Perhaps Hagrid's job was to look over Harry until Dumbledore sent him word that it was safe to take him to the Dursley's. You figure that Dumbledore was probably spending most of the day setting up the charm to protect Harry while he stayed at Privet Drive, so perhaps that will explain what took place during the first day.

The question is whether we can finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows before Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword comes out.

People here still play Civilization? I thought it was an unwritten rule of OT posting that you could no longer play Civ.

I must catch up to this assignment. As I won't be working on Tuesday, I'll zoom through Book 1 instead. I reread Book 6 before school ended, but none of the others.

The "missing day" is one of the most interesting bits in Harry Potter, and it could be vitally important. However, right now it seems likely that it was just an honest omission.

I've already reread the entire series (that was the last two weeks' project), however, I will be happy to add my thoughts as you go along.

UAQ #3: Why is it so important that Harry “Looks like his father, but has his mother’s eyes?”

Well, to bring a lot of the rest of the series into it...

The most immediate angle we could see is that some part of Lily's soul resides in Harry somehow. Now, what exactly that's supposed to do could be anything, but it's a possibility. Another is that it will somehow bring Snape's relationship with Lily into play, but that might be a tale for a later reading...

We’ll also discuss the Invisibility Cloak, which Rowling has hinted very strongly is connected to the mystery of what exactly happened that Halloween nearly 20 years ago. So: pay attention when Dumbledore brings that up.

Well, given what the Cloak does, there can only be one real possibility: who was hiding under it? Unless it works on nonliving things... Rowling has already stated it's not Snape. I think we can rule out any unimportant people, as it would not be significant enough to mention. Dumbledore is definitely out of the question, as he would have stopped Voldemort. It could not have been used to hide James, as we know he died (Rowling has confirmed this), and Lily, as we've heard in the memory, surely was not hiding under it. We can rule out any loyal Death Eater, because they would not have allowed the Cloak to pass to Dumbledore, or at least I find this unlikely. It would also need to be someone who Peter was able to talk to, or who was in the Potter family, as Peter was secret keeper for their location.

This still leaves an interesting possibility:

What if Harry was hidden under the Invisibility Cloak? Of course, this raises more questions than it answers, but...

I think someone were under that cloke seeing the whole thing. Maybe Sirius? It was Sirius who gave the cloke to Harry for example. OR it can be another Death Eater (not Snape) who was a spy for Dumbledore...

And Hagrid may have used a portal key that the order may have used to get to the house or this Flame Powder...

Voldermort or some other Death Eater possibly used a spell that cleaned away the bodies. If its Voldemort, its before he casted the spell at Harry.

I think someone were under that cloke seeing the whole thing. Maybe Sirius? It was Sirius who gave the cloke to Harry for example. OR it can be another Death Eater (not Snape) who was a spy for Dumbledore...

Ah, but we can probably rule that out. Firstly, because Peter was the Secret-Keeper; therefore Sirius would not know they were there, and even if he was, can you honestly imagine Sirius, brash and loyal to a fault, just sitting under a cloak while Voldemort murdered his best friend and godson? As to another Death Eater being a spy, from the scene between Dumbledore and Snape at the end of the fourth book, it seems likely that Snape is the primary, if not the only spy Dumbledore has at this point.

Im not sure what your getting at, just because someone is the secret keeper for a house doesn't mean others can't know where it is- as is proved by the order of the phoenix all knowing where Grimauld place is. Peter could have just told/written where it is for Dumbledore.

Top Bottom