1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hell that is our lives

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: RPG' started by Vandal Warlord, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal could not beare to watch Sindar die. The great warlord was of a dieing breed, those who oppose, with the fall of The Free State of Venice and Monarchy a thing of the past, no one dared oppose. Cedric was now engaged to a woman to be married in a few days, Silvia was too getting married, and the ways of the Gallow were disolving. He needed a spark. Vandal stood up and looked across the city of Arete from the top of the Hindu temple. He despised the Hindus and the Islamic Muslims that now inhabbit the Kingdom. Or the Republic he should say.

Vandal then had an apiffany. If revolution is no longer an option, then what about random attacks to scare a nation, and yet escape the authorities. Vandal grinned at the thoughtand jumped off the building to the market below. He walked into a dark ally untill finding a door. He knocked on the door. Only to find a very burly man open the door.

"You not welcome here." He said in his deep voice. Vandal grinned.

Inside the building was a haven of criminals and exiles, and also the base of the Aretean Black Market. Out of the door came an immense explosion that caused every one the fall to the ground. Men jumped up from the fround with swords unsheathed. Vandal stepped out from the smoke with a rifle on hand. Everyone could tell it was loaded and fear the worst. Vandal was still smiling when he walked up to the man running the black market booth.

"I need bombs, lots of them." The man handed Vandal a sack that looked like it was full of potatoes. Vandal walked to the end of the door and then shot a man standing by the door.

"Don't follow me."

Contribution is welcome.

(OOC: The bombs will not be tested on Areteans)

2. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

After the fall of Lincoln, Dark Agent Sapphire was ordered to go deep within the black market of Arete. This was the meeting place of foreign spies and Aretean organized crime families. She was a block away when she heard an explosion! She approached the Market with both speed and stealth. There was a man coming out of the door gun in hand. She hid beneath a stairwell as the figure walked by, too calm to be a random vandal. The second she finished her thought the mans face appeared in a beam of light from a second story window. Vandal? could it be.........it was!

Vandal Warlord could not shake the feeling that he was being followed, though everytime he turned around there was only the dark street and silence.

3. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

He had been up on the roof, eating the little bit of sandwich he had left in private. Gazing over the roofs of the surrounding buildings brought back brief memories of childhood. But they were brief. The sounds, the smells, even the rooftops themselves were different. Dirtier, old, never changing....

He suddenly spun in the direction of the explosion and carefully glanced over the edge. Comotion in the street as it cleared of bystanders. The door to "The Cobra" was open, debris still flying out the doorway. A gunshot...a hooded man exited and made his way up the street with a sack of potatoes and a rifle. Must have been hungry...

What's this? Sapphire arrives on the scene? "Things never do change, really," he said to himself as he threw the rest of the sandwich down and left the rooftop.

4. Cyc

Slipping on the coat with many interior pockets, he belched what tasted like that old sanwich and eyed Sapphire. "Rule number 7, don't follow the followed - follow the follower. They won't be looking for you." He pulled up his collar and went out into the street.

Sapphire was good. Her skills were fine-tuned, but at an almost rudimentary level. She was trained by the book and mastered everything she touched. Lord Civius trained her and you can't do much better than that for a mentor. But she hadn't broke that mold of orthodox training. She never got dirty. She never twisted her thoughts to bend around the corners. He liked that about her...

Wait. She stopped. As did he, turning to a vendor an ordering a sausage. "Yeah, I'll take one with onions." Sapphire was running her hand along some fine silks and checking her bag for coin. Grabbing his sausage in a wrap, he flipped a coin at the vendor. "Here ya go."

And the hunt was on again. He smiled, thinking to himself that she still moved as good as she used to. She could almost disappear as she cut through the crowd. Sighing, he wondered what was in that potatoe bag. It had to be bad. Explosives? Biting into the sausage, he almost gagged. He threw that sandwich down too. "This place is going to Hell - ach!"

5. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

The Prophet entered the small hut to find The Enlightened sitting on a chair, head in hands.

"You called for me, father?", he asked nerveously.
    Diamondeye nodded slowly before replying.
    "I did. I want to talk to you before you leave. I want to talk to you one last time."
    The prophet looked questioningly at the man.
    "What do you mean? I intend to return and take care of you. After all you've done for me."
    Diamondeye managed a faint smile. "It is nice of you. I want you to have this."
    He handed The Prophet an envelope. "Open it once you're on the boat."
    The Prophet nodded and took the envelope. He handed the katana he had borrowed back to Diamondeye, who put it on his table.

"You seem tense, father. What is it you want to discuss?"

Diamondeye took a deep breath.
    "We are of a dying breed, my son. Few have the devotion that we have. Few have the kind of faith in the gods that we have. You must know that fewer and fewer children are raised as I was - and as I have raised you. With dignity and respect for those who decide our fate."
    The Prophet nodded. Diamondeye had raised him since childhood, in his small orphanage in New Giruvegan. He had been the Enlighteneds favourite orphan despite his ruthless arrogance and the teasings he had taken for having a blind eye. The young monk had helped him through this. It was Diamondeye who had convinced him that he saw the gods where others saw only the world of men.
    "I want you to prove the existance of the gods to the Aretanians. That is what your journey is about. And to do this you must focus. Do not think of me or anyone else while you are on the way."
    The Prophet nodded in accept. He had something strange in Diamondeyes voice in the last sentance. Was it... Fear?
    "Now leave. I will pray for you. You mean a lot to me."

The Prophet felt a tear pressing, but quelled the urge to cry. He bowed and left.

Out in the street he stopped dead. What could that strange feeling he had gotten after Diamondeyes last words be? He was nerveous. He opened the letter.

My Son,

I wish you good luck on your journey. When you find the gods, we will meet again. Until then I will wait at the right hand of the God Father.

Diamondeye

The Prophet gasped and ran back inside the hut. The sight that met him shocked him to muteness.

Diamondeye was sitting against the rear wall. He had cut up his stomach before leading the katanas blade straight up into his own chest, cutting the heart. The blood ran in streams from the large cut, and the monks white robe was dyed red by it.
    But the strangest thing of the scenery was the expression on the monks face. He did not show any sign of pain or remorse. His gaze was held high and his face carried an expression of something the Prophet could only grasp as hope. Hope of something better.

The Prophet vaguely felt the bump against the floor as he fell to his knees. Then a sundering grief struck him. Violently and without any sense of control he hammered his fists into the floor until they were numb. He tore his own robe until it was but a rag around his body, he cried, he cried the tears of a child who had lost his second father. He threw table, chairs, paper, plates, everything around.

After what felt like an eternity, he stopped. He remembered what Diamondeye had told him. Prove to them the gods exist! The Prophets face was a mask of determination as he pulled the Katana from Diamondeyes dead body and exited the building. Nobody dared confront the boy as he walked down the street. He stopped by his own small residence to find his long, black, hooded cloak. He then walked towards the harbor, still with the blooded katana by his side. He did not even think of wiping it, for it was drenched in the blood of a saint and a martyr. No blade could achieve anything larger.

6. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

Nate was sitting, a small, inglorious task that he had come accustomed to the past few months. His thoughts ran back and forth in the boredom brought on by the "task." There was pride in his action, he kept pondering, a pride recognized by the large populous of the nation. As he remembered this, he could not help but smile; Nate was a leader now; with the family name bestowed upon him, had completed his family's long quest in politics.

However great his pride and mood were, Nate was not actually happy. In his preoccupation with his new work, his relationship with his family back in Venice had suffered greatly.

He could only remember the last time he was out in Venice. He had arrived in the city later then he had expected, and missed his family's voyage to the temple. Upon arriving by foot, he was shunned by the family during worship, and later at lunch. The only member of his family who conversed with him his entire trip was his cousin, who himself was an undesirable for his lack of any brains. He left early in a great mix of rage and sorrow.

Before he could remember this, though, Nate's office was breached by his Private Advisor.

"You have a letter addressed from Arkadia, sir," said the man.

Nate could not help but notice the odd nature of the letter, it was unmarked, to Aretan standards. The letters Nate usually received bore crests making clear the business the letter brought.

"Thank you, sir, you may return to your work."

Nate stood up with the letter in hand. He gazed at it with hope to remember any recent business, with failure. Reluctantly, he opened the letter and began reading.

To Governor General Nate,

I have information concerning the Aretan Black Market and its recent sales which may surprise you. Out of fear of interception I cannot say much, but I will take my chances with one request. Please meet me in Cordoba, bring as much guard as you wish, it does not matter. I will approach you unarmed at the Domestic Shipping Port during the fall of day, but your guard may check me if you so wish.

Nate threw the letter onto his desk.

This was sort of funny, surely the first new Governor General would not risk his life on a far-off, unnamed tip. His research into the Black Market had not been successful, but had still addressed the issue more then any other government beforehand.

Or had it?

Technically, it had not. The futile attempts at locating black market headquarters and identifying primary black market buyers and sellers had been secret, if word got out, the Black Market would go into deeper hiding and secrecy.

Confused, he reached for the letter again and took another look, still nothing.

Within a few moments of pacing, Nate finally decided to take a look into the source. The odds were on his side anyway, there was no possible way the underground knew about the investigation, and the recent militarization in Cordoba would make it tough for any kind of political assassination.

He called 3 of his Elite Guard and his Personal Advisor, briefed them on their next action, and left.

The heavy door slammed behind the party, sending the worldly room into utter darkness.

7. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

Sapphire sat idley watching Vandal approach the dock. Three men armed with R-7 Provozuki (Repeat-Fire) Rifles stood gaurd outside a large Caravel. Vandal pulled the hood of his dark cloak over his head. He was an original Dark Agent, his moves were silent and almost invisibe. He made his way to the back of the dock and disappeared off the edge. Her first thought was to sit and wait, this was protocol. This was the man whom she looked up to since becoming a spy. It was too much, she had to see what he was doing. At last she arose and began heading towards the dock......

8. Cyc

A cool breeze blew up the coat cuffs of the old man watching from the shadows of the off-dock building. He was watching what appeared to be a woman sitting on one of the sawed off logs of the dock area. She appeared to watching another man walk out dock #11.

He shivered and shuffled like an old man would. It was one of his favorite disguises. The old hat with the gray hair sewn into it, the retractable cane. The grandpa look. "What the hell are you doing sitting there, Sapphire? What if he boards ship? What if he's talking with someone about a deal? What are you going to do?"

The ship mentioned was a large Caravel. Big enough to be used for multiple purposes. It flew the Flag of Siedrik, a small Northeastern city. A long ways from the riggers of the Federation. And it looks like some of Provo's men watching it. Hmmm. Not watching the ship, watching the cargo.

Hey, the hooded potatoe man just left the dock. Probably took the ladder down to the lower platform. Is he meeting someone? Catching a skiff somewhere else? "Now what ya gonna do, Sapphire? The fox has scurried down the river bank. Going to continue the hunt? Or take notes and go home?" he said starting to rock back and forth (one of his favorite "old man" ploys. "Lest ye speak..."

Sapphire was up and moving towards the dock. She paused behind one of the vertical timbers holding the dock.

KA-BOOM!

Catching him off guard, the blast almost sent him backwards. "What the hell?" Sapphire was down again, not hurt, just protecting herself. Two of the guards lay on the dock, motionless. The third had fallen into the water. Nothing but smoke moved on the dock, men on the ship came running to the edge.

" Who would sabatoge a cargo ship in the Harbor of Arete? What was on that boat?" he wondered..

9. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

When the smoke cleared Vandal stepped onto the massive ship, gun in hand. One of the gaurds moves a little, nerves no doubt. Vandal shoots him anyway, just to be sure. He headed down a large hatch into the belly of the ship. By now Sapphaire has scaled the Ship and is getting on in the rear. She had not seen where he went so moved with a deadly silence. After sweeping the entire deck she new there was only one place he could be. She lifted the hatch and began to make her way below deck.....

10. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

double post...

11. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal walked through the ship. He knew Saphire was following him after seeing her hit the dock post-explosion. Vandal took the rifle in his hand and threw it to the ground. He then snapped his wrists and a small blade project to his wrists. Vandal stopped and grinned.

"I know you are here." Vandal did not turn but he continued to grin.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are......." He said playfully waiting for Saphire's next move, and with that, came Saphire with a large stick. Vandal cut the blade with one of his wrist blade and then held the other at Saphire's throat.

"Long time, no see."

12. Diamondeye

The Prophet looked out from his hideout. His childish size had proven useful in getting on the ship and find a place to hide, but he would need raw strength he did not possess to fight his way out of this. So he kept silent and looked at the drama that unfolded before him. His long black cloak covered him entirely and his face was hooded, there was no way any of the agents would spot him in the small crate he placed sideways against the wall cabin. If discovered he could easily escape off the deck and into the cold water, but for now he was sitting completely still and focusing the one eye he had that could actually see.

13. Cyc

"Time to shift gears" he said. Pulling off the 'old man' gear, he donned a military cap and ran up the gangway onto the ship. Most of the crew were running off the ship as he climbed aboard. One of the crew had even jumped overboard.

"Get some water! Put out that fire!" the man in the military cap yelled to the crew. This made the crew ignore him even more. Seemed there was only three guards on this voyage, good. He had seen someone drop down into the hatch when he reached the top of the gangway. Must have been Sapphire, who else would do down into a ship when everyone else was fleeing? Approaching the cago hold, dimly light by the fire, he saw her struggling with the potatoe man. Vandal? Vandal was the potatoe man? Vandal spun her around and put a knife to her throat.

Pointing his pistol at Vandal's head, he shouted "Hold it right there, Vandal! Drop the knife and move away slowly!" This may have been the wrong thing to say, he thought to himself. There was a hole in the ship just the other side of that fire...

14. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal laughed. " You realize that I have several explosives hidden all over my body. You shoot me, and I'll bring everyone on this dock with me." Vandal pulled a match from his pocket and lit on his wrist blade at Saphire's neck and Held it Before Cyc's face.

"You're move."

15. Cyc

Feeling a bead of sweat run down his temple, he know knew if he didn't end this predicament real soon Vandal was going to blow up anyway. "No one needs to die here, Vandal. You're smart enough to realized if you don't get off this ship, we'll all die. Just let the girl go. I will not fire. Run!"

Vandal stared at him with a cold, decisive look. Then he cut off a lock of Sapphire's hair, turned and ran across the fire towards where the newly made hole in the ship was. Vandal knew what he was doing, and had probably already planned that as an escape route.

Sapphire had dropped to one knee, turning her head to see Vandal leave. Then she looked at the man with the pistol. "...Hito?....how?...why?..." She rose and checked her clothing. "I don't see it, Samurai. Why are you here?... Oh, and thanks."

16. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

After leaving the falling ship Vandal ran for a small vessal docked in the courner of the dock. The Vessal was The Huntress, Vandal's personal vessal. He saw Cedric andthree of Vandal's men on board. Vandal Jumped on board and yelled, "Get me to Kassite! NOW!!!"

17. Cyc

Cyc came walking down the stairs as Governor General Nate was passing by below.

"Excuse me, Governor General. May I have word with you?"

Nate looked up and saw the former King, "Yes, of corse, Cyc. What's on your mind?'

Cyc approched, hand extended. "Let me congratulate you in becoming the first Governor General of the Aretan nation. I wish you and the Free States Faction the best of luck."

Thank you, Cyc. The transition is working well." A brief flurry of small talk ensued, but then Cyc stopped and looked at the GG.

"Governor General, there has been work going on in the former Monarchy that you may not be aware of. Behind closed doors type of stuff. I would be more than happy to fill you in with the details, if you're intereted." Cyc lowered his voice and leaned in a little. "It's fairly hush-hush stuff, so it would be better in private. I can see you are busy, so I understand if it must wait, but it's vitally important information I do not wish to share with subordinates."

18. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

.......and then I lost him Civius, I am sorry. He was covered in explosives what was I to do?". I'd raised her since she was a little girl and was more of a father to her than a boss. She was the best so if Vandal escaped from her then no one could have caught him. "I just have one question General Civius, what the hell was Vandal doing at the Black Market?". I looked into her eyes "That's what we're gonna find out".

19. Diamondeye

A small voice creaked out from the darkness.
    "He was buying explosives." it said.
    Civius and Sapphire both turned towards the voice. It sounded almost as a childs voice, and sure enough, a small kid emerged from the rather crude ship. Sapphire blamed herself she had not noticed the kid, although she knew he could've been hidden anywhere on the ship. His cloak was black and hooded and hid him well.

The kid walked down from the ship and showed his hands, empty. He had a blade by his side, wrapped in a white cloth. "I am certain he bought explosives. One of my... friends heard the explosion." The Prophet swore to himself, he had almost said the word sources. For now the two others had no idea of his capabilities and he preferred it that way. He looked at them and continued. "I ran into him by coincidence on the docks again. I was trying to board a ship. I hope you will forgive my insolence for sneaking aboard after I have helped you determine the Vandals intentions."

The Prophet looked up at the two men. His hood fell, almost coincidential, so that they could see his blind eye. He blinked at them.

20. thecommonnate

thecommonnate Theocrat

Nate recognized the seriousness in Cyc's voice. Without turning back he signaled his guards and advisor to continue to the transportation without him.

Awestruck, the guards and the advisor departed.

Nate spoke, "We can use my office, your Highness." Nate felt plagues of guilt coming over him as Cyc began walking. He had known Cyc before the Coup, but had not been in contact with him since the Provisional Government led by Lord Civius.

Upon reaching his room Nate turned the key, with some trouble, but managed to open the door. He allowed Cyc in first, and followed him into the grand room. He stood facing the back wall for a moment, a great map of the world adorned the entire wall, and his desk just a few feet from the wall sat in the middle of the room.

Cyc continued to stand, and the awkward silence only told more of the current situation. Nate began walking toward his desk.

"Nice room, isn't it?" said Nate while walking.
    "Its priceless, defiantly fit for a ruler."

Nate, with the un-crested letter still in hand, reached the back of his desk, dropped the letter onto his desk, and preceded to sit.

"Please Sit down," Nate said to Cyc, who was gazing out the window onto the City of Arete, from which a abnormal plume of smoke was arising from the harbor area. "These seats are real Mahogany, from the forests of the Dark East."

Cyc sat, and immediately turned his attention to Nate, he began to speak...