1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Heron Throne

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Lore' started by DioBrando, Jan 19, 2009.

1. DioBrando

DioBrando Warlord

Like, yeah. Wat.

A throne for the heron king? As far as i know there was no civilopedia entry for the wonder, so i want an explanation. Right. Now.

2. Giga-Gigan

Giga-Gigan Warlord

well with that attitude I feel less inclined to answer, however I could never refuse those with the thirst for knowledge.

As with other races Elves and Dwarves, the long faithful of the now comatose Dalin were physiologically different from normal humans. Blessed with gills, exceptional swimming capacity, and a general fishy countenance, the Aifons (as they were called) were Dalin's favorite people.

However at one point they all mysteriously vanished, quite distressing for the God of Water. Even more distressing though was that it could of been prevented, as the last king of the Aifons Heron went on a difficult quest to acquire the means to summon Dalin. He succeeded but thought that he could not do it at the risk of restarting the God's War. so the noble Aifons simply vanished.

Dalin was much saddened by this and went into a deep bitter slumber over it.

To answer your question though, Heron's throne is... Well his throne. Perhaps sitting on it allows the sitter to gather the wisdom of the previous Aifon kings to the point of increased productivity.

3. Darksaber1

Darksaber1 Secret Emperor

Do you mean Trenton Magosi? I don'yt think he was a king. Trenton was the most goodly of the currently explaned Disciples of Kylorin, and was the master of Water Magic.
    PS. The ritual that could have summoned Danalin apperars to have been partially activated, and was used by the Illians to summon Mulcarn. It was known as "The Draw".

4. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I don't believe there has yet been any lore released tying this wonder to the Aifons, or to anything else. His explanation could be right, but it is clearly something he totally made up. The first thing that came to my mind was that is was somehow tied to Hero(n) of Alexandria, the inventor of, among many other things, the steam engine. How that is relevant to Erebus we may never know (as it probably isn't).

5. wilboman

wilboman Hibernorse Frost Giant

Obviously it is a fertility monument, dedicated to that great bringer of babies, the heron... Or, wait... Was that stork? [Starts considering petitioning Kael to rename so my explanation fits.]

6. Giga-Gigan

Giga-Gigan Warlord

what? Oh I got my facts mixed up yeah the last king wasn't heron it was Trenton, and I could have sworn on he was the King of Aifons. Anyways my explanation wasn't totally made up... It was conjecture based on false information! Theresa difference I tells ya! :p

7. Scott Alexander

Scott Alexander Chieftain

Given how many things in FFH are slight modifications of things from famous fantasy novels, maybe it has something to do with the Heron Spear in Prince of Nothing. Not that the Spear has anything to do with thrones....or water...or resources. But how many legendary artifacts named after herons can there be?

8. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

I don't believe that Trenton was a king of the Aifons, just their greatest hero.

9. Giga-Gigan

Giga-Gigan Warlord

Well now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Heron, hmmm... Who besides the Aifons and the Lanun do we know of that are able seamen?

10. petcarcharodon

petcarcharodon Sheaim Archmage

I'm sure the Overlords are insane enough to make a chair out of birds. :lol:

11. Atnanor

Atnanor +2 Beer Affinity

Heron are birds, fisher birds. Of course this gives no explanation why the water helps me make my grand palace faster, but oh well.

12. petcarcharodon

petcarcharodon Sheaim Archmage

Had no sleep. Somehow read heron as herring. :lol: Didn't realize my mistake until hours later.

13. Giga-Gigan

Giga-Gigan Warlord

You know I was kinda thinking that the Heron throne was some sort of fish mind control device, until I too realized that it Heron not herring.

14. kenken244

kenken244 Grammar Nazi

And I was about to think it was due to using herring to chop down trees.

15. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

Didnt W say that?

16. Avahz Darkwood

Avahz Darkwood Emperor

Have you seen how much Poop those birds make? Maybe they came up with a biofuel, or some kind of adhesive (throne = toilet so maybe it should be called the Heron Toilet). Naa that cant be right it would cause a - to :health:

17. Giga-Gigan

Giga-Gigan Warlord

I doubt he said it so concisely and eloquently, but I never was able to listen to him for long intervals. So I don't know if he did.

18. Psychic_Llamas

Psychic_Llamas Wizard in the Making

lol you said poop...

19. Mergle

Mergle Prince

I wondered if it was a "fisher king" reference

20. airforceWLF

airforceWLF Chieftain

Cattle Egrets ride on Cattle like kings on a throne.

Just a thought

edit: for the record cattle egrets are a form of Heron :p