1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The Hills of Ayerman: A 19th Century American Intervention Scenario

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Scenario League' started by BC1871, Mar 14, 2018.

1. BC1871

BC1871 Chieftain

Ayerman Hills Logo.png

Excerpt from: "The US Navy in Ayerman"

In 1898, while the United States was at war with the Spanish Empire, a far lesser known situation was brewing in the hills of the tiny rogue nation of Ayerman, a small hermit kingdom and often claimed to be an exclave of Afghanistan located within the British Indian Empire.

In June of that year, President McKinley received a cable from State that the highly ambitious and oft times rebellious daughter of a very well connected entrepreneur who held influence with Members of Congress on both sides of the aisle, went missing in the forbidding nation of Ayerman, after securing some manner of mining concession under very obscure and controversial terms.

As Ayerman was entirely bordered by British India, the President in consultation with State made a request to the Viceroy, for Britain to send a representative to secure the release of US Nationals currently being held abroad, however the situation quickly fell apart as though the British acquiesced to sending a small field force to forcefully encourage the belligerent Ayermanis to release their captives, they quickly lost contact with their forces who were rumored to have been encircled and annihilated.

Though State advised against further engaging the matter, and the Army due to their engagements was unable to furnish the necessary personnel for a punitive expedition, the Navy proposed the landing of a volunteer naval brigade of naval militia and reactivated marines for the purposes of recovering US nationals being held by a hostile power.

After much debate among the President and his cabinet, in July of that year, the US Volunteer Naval Brigade set sail for British India, and would march overland with artillery and supplies in tow, with the express purpose of recovering their citizens being held in a hostile land.

The goal of the Hills of Ayerman Scenario is about story telling as much as it is game play, with the player leading his naval brigade across the nation of Ayerman and the many trials and tribulations that they face along the way.

Some notes about the scenario:

-The scenario itself, though it exists in a historical context is entirely scraped together from numerous films, novels, and badly planned out field training exercises.

-I'm genuinely looking to tell an interactive story, using the CIV2 engine, as opposed to trying to reinvent the wheel, and therefore units will be generated by events, and seizing key cities, towns and villages, will be far more important to advancing the plot, than simply building units and conquering.

-And finally, I have no release date in mind, but moreover this will be an ongoing project, and as it advances I may request play testers.

2. McMonkey

McMonkey ----Evertonian---- SLeague Staff

3. Patine

Patine Chieftain

I'm guessing so, due to a lack of a Wikipedia article or anything that obviously ties to this (except a link to this very thread) coming up on Google. But, I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

4. BC1871

BC1871 Chieftain

Ayerman is a reinterpretation of Victorian Era views of Afghanistan/mixed with influences from OPFOR style nations. So historical influences yes, actual nation, no.

5. BC1871

BC1871 Chieftain

A quick preview of the few of the units that the player will be able to use in their campaign in Ayerman.

Ayerman Hills USMC.png

Tanelorn likes this.
  6. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

I'm glad to hear about your project. Looking forward to it.

7. BC1871

BC1871 Chieftain

Ayerman Hills USN.png

A bit of fire support from the USN.

I decided to go with the bluejacket landing order over the white "crackerjacks", as I couldn't find any historical evidence of all naval militia units being issued the "crackerjack".

Also, the "dixie cups" look terrible, but they work.

*Note* No Petty Officers or Chiefs were included as I couldn't find a useful role for them as units.

Tanelorn likes this.
  8. BC1871

BC1871 Chieftain

Ayerman Hills Map Placement.png

I've begun placing the cities, though to keep a majority of the map a surprise, I'm only going to show the American starting locations.

A few things to note:

-Terrain Graphics will all change
    -Camp Dahlgren will act as the spawning point for special units
    -Camp Saginaw will act as a spawning point for your bluejackets and leathernecks
    -There will be three other computerized civilizations that serve different plot points
    -Movement will be slow as I've decided against roads or rail, and to show foot-mobile speed of company of a naval brigade

JPetroski and Tanelorn like this.
  9. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

How's it coming? This looks very promising. Let me know if I can help in some way.

10. BC1871

BC1871 Chieftain

The progress is slow, as the real world has consumed most of my time, but there is progress none the less.

11. techumseh

techumseh Chieftain

I'm glad to hear it. Post more when you can. :b