The History of Civilization: 20 Years of Wonders Retrospective on Ars Technica

:goodjob:

Nice review. That brought back some memories. Had to physically restrain myself from firing up each version as I read!

thanks for the link. fun read about the history of civ.

makes me want to play civ 1 now.

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed taking a stroll down memory lane. After seeing the pics of Next War with the GDR, I think I might have to start playing Civ IV again! On second thought, I can wait 4 more days!

good nostalgia read ..... imo the author seems to be to critical of civ2 and civ3 ... civ1 was awesome because it was the first, and civ4 because it was the last ...

the advisor council in civ2 was the best thing ever .... i never got tired for the military advisor telling me how awesome i was!!

Civ3 wasn't without its problems, though. The game shipped with some bugs, and AI opponent moves could occasionally take over a minute each turn in the later stages of the game
Was I the only one that totally lost it at reading this. :)

EDIT: ..and how can any history of civilization be complete without Test of Time.

Civ3 wasn't without its problems, though. The game shipped with some bugs, and AI opponent moves could occasionally take over a minute each turn in the later stages of the game
That's it? Mine takes much longer than that in the later stages of the game. It's certainly worth the wait though.

Also, in the Ars forum, check out this thread:

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1121422

A forum member is documenting playing through earlier versions of Civ, starting with Civ 1. The screen shots and game play narrative are bringing back fond memories of the many hours spent with the original... :)

Was I the only one that totally lost it at reading this. :)

EDIT: ..and how can any history of civilization be complete without Test of Time.

Ya I never had bad loading time with Civ3 and I can't believe they forget ToT! I loved having multiple maps and although it's really had to manage I wish Civs 3-5 kept this feature.

Top Bottom