The Holy Roman Empire is neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. Discuss!

What do you think of HRE?

• It's great! I'm glad they finally got some respect!

Votes: 65 18.7%
  • Eh, it's ok. Not my first choice, but I don't mind.

Votes: 145 41.7%
  • I wish they had done a different Civ.

Votes: 89 25.6%
  • I hate it. I hate it. I hate it!

Votes: 49 14.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind it.

Although it'd be ironic if the Texans start demanding their own civ :D

Shouldn't they be part of mexico?

The thread title is a nice little quote that history teachers like to say, but it was a lie. What killed the Holy Roman Empire was the Protestant reformation. Before Luther, the HRE was probably the dominant power of Europe. It was Holy Roman in that it served the Catholic Church, and it was an empire in that they conquered outward from central Europe.

Dominant power in Europe? Not really. Europe was so fragmented... state systems weren't really in place in the way that you think. I'd say France was tops most of the time due to its system (a predecessor of today's nation state). Of course, this is not around the 100 years war, when france was fragmented as hell.

Still the joke that was the HRE lasted a long time and had the vatican as it's symbolic boss for much of its existence.

Still the joke that was the HRE lasted a long time and had the vatican as it's symbolic boss for much of its existence.

Very good point. I'd argue that the HRE was made up of so many different rival city states, it was as fragmented as the rest of Europe at the time.

Well it was an empire of fragmented nationstates then.

the eagle. but not eh double-headed eagle - thats for Byzantium.

The official flag of the HRE was a black double-headed eagle on yellow background. This is also the most widely known flag of the HRE. There was a flag change in 1401 though, so there's an alternative if the don't want too many eagles in their game.

Isn't a double headed eagle for Albania?

yes, but Byzantines had the original one. yellow background, black double headed eagle. it passed onto Russia and various Slavic and Balkan states. and i think it is the coolest eagle ever.

two heads!!!!!!!!!

The double headed eagle is actually the symbol of imperial Rome (or at least, it is seen as such). That's why all those who claimed to be the heirs of Roman imperial glory had a double-headed eagle in their crest: HRE, Byzantium, Russia, Austria, Servia...

The double headed eagle is actually the symbol of imperial Rome (or at least, it is seen as such). That's why all those who claimed to be the heirs of Roman imperial glory had a double-headed eagle in their crest: HRE, Byzantium, Russia, Austria, Servia...
That's what I meant- after the Romans, the symbol of an eagle is ingrained in European culture as a symbol of Imperial power. It was used in Rome, Byzantium, Russia, Albania, Serbia, Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Romania, Poland, Mexico, the USA and the Czech Republic. About the only major European power to avoid the use of an eagle was Britain- we seemed to prefer lions.

That's what I meant- after the Romans, the symbol of an eagle is ingrained in European culture as a symbol of Imperial power. It was used in Rome, Byzantium, Russia, Albania, Serbia, Germany, Austria, France, Spain, Romania, Poland, Mexico, the USA and the Czech Republic. About the only major European power to avoid the use of an eagle was Britain- we seemed to prefer lions.
Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg also use lions :)
(as did most of the provinces when they were still independent duchies or counties)

Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg also use lions :)
(as did most of the provinces when they were still independent duchies or counties)

And that is because they were part of the HRE and only the emperor had a legitimate claim to use the symbol.

Ahem, Czechia uses Bohemian lion. Only in the Grand Coat of Arms of Czech Republic are there eagles- one Moravian and one Silesian.

And that is because they were part of the HRE and only the emperor had a legitimate claim to use the symbol.

Actually the coat of arms of Bohemia was upgraded from eagle to lion.

Ahem, Czechia uses Bohemian lion. Only in the Grand Coat of Arms of Czech Republic are there eagles- one Moravian and one Silesian.

Actually the coat of arms of Bohemia was upgraded from eagle to lion.

You're right. Here is it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wappen_Kaisertum_%C3%96sterreich_1867_%28Mittel%29.png

In the upper right hand corner, or, more like it, the upper right wing of the double headed eagle.

Ah well, I stick to eagles, lived in Moravia for some time (in Brno).

Cheers

Archduke Otto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom