The Hoplite is Effectively a Discount Swordsmen

MarigoldRan

WARLORD
They're actually really, really good because of how cheap they are. They cost like 2/3's of a swordsmen, and don't require ironworking.

Later, beeline metal casting and upgrade them to pike and shot, which are good against everything.

The only downside is that you can't upgrade warriors into them.

They are cheaper in terms of production cost and maintenance, however there are a few issues with them:
They have a strength of 35 when next to another Hoplite which technically matches the strength of the Swordsmen, however, melee units get a bonus against anti-cav units so a Swordsmen will be stronger against them. Also, I'm not 100% sure about this but I thought you needed all the intermediary upgrade techs researched before leapfrogging in a unit upgrade. This is a bummer for the Hoplite because it forces you to tech Military Tactics, which is kind of out of the way. For example, I don't think you can upgrade a Spearman into an AT Crew unless you first have military tactics and Metal Casting researched.

They are terrible against swords though. I don't really get the anti-cav line; they seem to require heavy support bonuses as the hoplite demonstrates and maybe if you reveal no iron or horses you can use them to pillage your neighbours, taking along archers. Hoplites should make it easier to boost military tactics and the good thing about that tech is that it means some tech further down has one less requirement.

The main problem with hoplites is they have a bad upgrade path and also are not affected by great generals due to being ancient units.

You could use them for Oligarchy+ Twilight Valor desperation pushes.... better than warriors or spears for sure.

I’ve seen a lot of discussion here about Anti-Cav and Pikemen, but not much about Spearmen and Hoplites specifically.

Say, hypothetically, there was a community balance patch. How should it deal with Spearmen and Hoplites.

Would, say, making Spearmen cost 60 and giving Hoplites +5 melee strength make them more attractive? What if Hoplites healed 50% faster?

They should make it so that spearman ZOC can't be ignored by cavalry units.

The point of spears is to limit where mounted units can go, amd force the horses to make a charge This would make investing in a few spears worthwhile.

And I guess tanks should be immune to this effect from previous era spearline, because that would be silly and only be halted by antitanks

The anti-cavalry line does have some pretty tasty promotions, however. Of course, now they buffed Commando on melee units to actually be useful, so maybe the anti-cavs got indirectly nerfed even more there.

It"s possible to use anti-cav. With the right promotions and thoughtful tactics they can be reasonably strong. That's faint praise though. To me hoplites are mostly for era score. Situationally they might help you defend if you' re playing peacefully. As much as I want to like them they're a very lack-luster unit.

I agree that Hoplites are lackluster. But my point is: THEY'RE CHEAP. For every 10 swordsmen, you can have 14 Hoplites! They're an excellent "Zerg" unit.

Since most of the time your swords or hoplites will just be bashing against city defenses, having extra "health" from having more hoplites to bash away makes them good.

Also, Pike and Shot are a very solid unit and it's immediately after gunpowder, so their upgrade line isn't that bad. With Gorgo's start bias (hills), you'll be rushing the Apprenticeship line, anyways.

Last edited:
It"s possible to use anti-cav. With the right promotions and thoughtful tactics they can be reasonably strong. That's faint praise though. To me hoplites are mostly for era score. Situationally they might help you defend if you' re playing peacefully. As much as I want to like them they're a very lack-luster unit.

If an enemy Civ has many Knights, adjacent Hoplites are very useful IMO.

I was asking about spearmen and hoplites specifically, because there’s already been so much discussion about the wider anti-cav line. But maybe it doesn’t make sense to separate things out that way.

Anti-cav (in general): they’re really not that bad particularly after the last patch. To my mind, anti-cav should always be slightly weaker than melee or other offensive style units. First, because Anti-cav’s strength is in being defensive and “holding the line”. Second, they are resource free, and generally units with resource requirements should be slightly stronger to make getting that resource more significant. I really dislike the idea of anti-cav having ZOC over cav units, although I know this is a popular suggestion. To me, it’s too blunt, and I don’t know any other unit which “cancels out” another units main bonus.

The main problem anti-cav have at the moment is just cost - they are still just too damn expensive. They need to be cheaper across the board (see @Sostratus ’s excellent posts). After that, anti-cav could use maybe just a small buff particularly against ranged - eg +5 additional defence (melee and ranged) when fortified or on a hill.

Anti-cav would also benefit from seige (eg catapults) getting buffed v ranged. (Again, see @Sostratus ’s great posts on this). Say, +10 v ranged if seige unit didn’t move last turn. This would make anti-cav more useful, because you’d be under more pressure to attack seige units with cav rather than picking them off with your city attack.

Spearmen: I’m not sure there’s anyway to make these guys better specifically outside of just buffing anti-cav generally. Making them 60 instead of 65 might help. Maybe you could get free spearmen from goody huts sometimes, or maybe as a bonus for getting suzerain of a military city state, or maybe when you research certain techs or civics? I’d like to see the AI build more Spearmen (or just get them for free). I think that would make the battlefield more diverse, and would make cav rushes v the AI harder in general (hopefully).

Hoplites: These units should be so more awesome than they are currently. The combat bonus when adjacent to another Hoplite unit is daft - each unit already represents a phalanx of men, so why do they need to be adjacent to even more men to get the bonus?? In any event, even with this bonus they are just underwhelming particularly when you’re playing Gorgo (Sparta).

Personally, I think they should lose the adjacency bonus. They should just be flat out stronger (say +5 over a normal spearmen), and then get some additional bonus. eg Faster healing, and or ignore melee penalty from ancient era melee units.

Spearmen: I’m not sure there’s anyway to make these guys better specifically outside of just buffing anti-cav generally.

If you open the civilopedia page for spearman, it starts something like this: "Anti cavalry unit of the Ancient Era"
In a world of warriors, spears, chariots, and archers, spears ain't so bad.
Unfortunately, the classical era is full of units with 36 base strength. Swordsmen are simply way too good at killing spears. In my honest opinion, we either have to ditch the unit gaps as a central design or do something unconventional.
It's just too unbalancing at the beginning of the game. (Swords are so dominant that you can't use spears, meaning there's nothing to upgrade to pikes, etc. It cascades through the game.)

Let's look at the archer for a moment. In a post I wrote in maybe march, that detailed a whole bunch of unit lines and their strengths and upgrades, one thing that was apparent was that archers uniquely straddle the ancient and classical era battlefields when you look at trend lines for combat strength. As an ancient unit, they should have 20 strength. As a classical unit, they should have 30. Yet they have 25. Someone clearly understood that if they made archers 20 strength, they would be a joke against classical units and players would be pretty upset. The spearman has the same problem the archer does: he doesn't get an upgrade until medieval, but comes in the ancient era, and so he really has to fight in two eras. Yet unlike the archer, he isn't balanced around that. He's very solidly on the ancient era dot if you look at the trend line. Would the game play better if spears had 30 base strength then- getting the archer treatment? Well, spears would actually be at par with warriors, which might be unbalancing for barb camps. They'd really muscle down other ancient era units. They would have a pretty good use case against horsemen. They would still be getting butchered by swords, though. For a classical battlefield to work, both units need to have a clear role- instead of swords doing better against cav than spears do.

Case in point: Muskets vs Pike&Shot. Cost almost the same (240 v 250) and have the same base strength, muskets getting a bonus vs p&s but requiring niter; P&S of course making quick work of those chivalrous noblemen still riding around and being resourceless. These two units are almost perfectly balanced against each other in my opinion. This is about how the infantry lines should match up throughout the game if we want balance.

Unconventional method: We add a mechanic to transition spears from an ancient unit to a classical unit, most likely in the tech/civic tree. One example would be, say, at iron working, spears get +5 strength. Or perhaps the Military Training civic. The icon is a spear and shield, after all.
Unconventional method two: we give spears (and all anticav) another niche: +10 vs district defenses, or something. I'm sure a reason can be justified- organized peasants are historically phenomenal at smashing stuff- just something so players keep fielding spearmen in the classical.

~~~~~~~

RE the thread: hoplites have an amazing ability. A pseudo 35 strength unit at bronze working is just crazy! Just one promotion gets you thrust, so they can stay in the game against swords. Only issue is pikes kinda suck, so you've got an awkward period to limp through. And fresh unpromoted units are at a serious disadvantage- you really can't lose troops after a certain point, because they'll either be too weak or be pikes, which cost over 3x what hoplites do. Unique units in the anticav line all have this feast/famine issue. Now, if we could somehow do Gorgo handing off to Shaka at medieval...

Just spam a bunch of hoplites before metal casting (cheap to do) and you'll have plenty of pike and shot.

Military Tactics as an off-branch tech is actually very good for this strat because it means you never have to worry about being forced to build pikes.

@Sostratus All good points.

Having Spears thump Warriors and in turn be thumped by Swordsmen sounds about right to me. I don’t think that needs to be a big issue for Barbarians either - Barbarian units can always just follow different rules.

Buffing Spearmen strength say +5 might work. They’d still be weaker than Swords, but perhaps if Spears also had some other situational advantage that would even out (I’d suggested an extra +5 when fortified and on hills).

If we’re balancing Spearmen / Anti-Cav, I think it’s worth keeping in mind that there is an overall advantage to defending units in general. So, anti-cav units should maybe always be a little weaker to account for that home court advantage.

On Hoplites, I don’t actually think they are underpowered. But they are underwhelming. They way they work just doesn’t feel fun to me, and leaves each individual unit feeling underpowered (even if use right they are not). I think Hoplites would feel more fun if they were more straightforward to use.

Speaking about hoplites specifically, my question is to what end am I building them? They're slow so their bonus is difficult to use offensively. Sure, you can set up opportunities but it's a low-percentage bonus unless you're on defense. They take a penalty against melee and have no promotion to defend against ranged attacks so they're a poor chocie to take cities. If you're playing peacefully it makes sense to have a few fortified for defense. That's a niche unit if ever there was one.
I've been playing a Zulu game, and spawned not far from Genghis. I hadn't done anything to mitigate his dip. visibility bonus, and he had Cavalry before I even had Muskets so I decided to invest in a few Impi Corps. Granted those are corps, and they get a nice flanking bonus, but they sure did chew up Genghis' Cavalry, even with a dip. vis. bonus. Really, I should have concnetrated on Genghis earlier so I wouldn't have had to deal with those murderous Cavalry units. The Impis allowed me to recover from sloppy play, but wouldn't have been necessary if I hadn't been so casual. There's almost always a better way to spend your hammer than anti-cav.

How do Pike & Shots do against Musketmen?

Muskets have +10str vs Pike&Shot;
Pike&Shot have +10str vs mounted.
The biggest difference is, P&S can actually stand up to other units of the era okay. They are at +17 vs knights (+100% damage!) and even edge out cavalry units at +3.
They cost almost the same, with the pikes crucially not needing niter but coming one tech later, when you get bombards. It's a good package- warmongers or those with resource can have an early bird advantage, but by mid-renaissance there's a melee unit good for general use or pushing offensively, and an anticav unit that can effectively beat back cavalry and defend well. You've got real options. Everyone here is basically locked on the fact that in the classical (when many players' first major wars happen) this situation doesn't exist at all, leaving the hoplite with a brief twilight of valor and heroism.

and have no promotion to defend against ranged attacks so they're a poor chocie to take cities.

This is my biggest issue with the entire anti-cav line. They are weak against both melee and range and they are too slow to really counter fast moving cavalry. I can't remember the last time I really used them.

Speaking about hoplites specifically, my question is to what end am I building them? They're slow so their bonus is difficult to use offensively. Sure, you can set up opportunities but it's a low-percentage bonus unless you're on defense. They take a penalty against melee and have no promotion to defend against ranged attacks so they're a poor chocie to take cities. If you're playing peacefully it makes sense to have a few fortified for defense. That's a niche unit if ever there was one.
I've been playing a Zulu game, and spawned not far from Genghis. I hadn't done anything to mitigate his dip. visibility bonus, and he had Cavalry before I even had Muskets so I decided to invest in a few Impi Corps. Granted those are corps, and they get a nice flanking bonus, but they sure did chew up Genghis' Cavalry, even with a dip. vis. bonus. Really, I should have concnetrated on Genghis earlier so I wouldn't have had to deal with those murderous Cavalry units. The Impis allowed me to recover from sloppy play, but wouldn't have been necessary if I hadn't been so casual. There's almost always a better way to spend your hammer than anti-cav.

I tend to add them in after an initial archer push and use them primarily for dealing with horses and bashing cities down. I spend most of my initial money upgrading 7-8 slingers to archers and then spamming hoplites once BW is up. Tech is Mining, AH, pottery, writing, archery, BW. I delay archery if I'm feeling "safe" because I want more slingers to upgrade. State Workforce is kinda important and with Gorgo's start bias, campuses are awesome.

Hoplites complement archers effectively since each covers the other's weakness.

Top Bottom