The horror.........the horror

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Terser, Oct 30, 2001.

1. Terser

Terser Anti-tank Spearman

......the music....the music.....it is...simply put...the worst music I have ever heard in any electronic game or movie in my entire 27 years on this earth. I turned it off within the first three minutes of play......I am not exaggerating in the least. It is a travesty in a game that otherwise appears to be top-shelf materiel. You almost have to hear it to truly appreciate how awful it is.

Doesn't matter I suppose--since you can turn it off. Still, if this post happens to be glimpsed upon by a member of the Firaxis staff, please...please...please...FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS STILL PURE AND HOLY IN THIS WORLD--CHANGE THE MUSIC IN A PATCH OR FUTURE EXPANSION!!

2. zandar

zandar Dictator School Graduate

It's not that bad once you get your civ going well.

In the Ancient Era the music is sparse, that's true. But it does get better as your civ progresses.

3. bulletsponge

bulletsponge Warlord

LOL...I actually think the music rocks...it puts me in the feeling of what is actually happening in the game...

4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk The Builder

If you want some alternatives, see the "Music to Conquer the World By" thread that I started somewhere around here.

5. toolie

toolie Chieftain

I haven't listened to it yet. I turned the music off and SFX way down because there was a Blackhawks game on, so I was listening to the streaming audio instead :p

Game music tends to get repititious, which is why they give us the option of listening to anything we want to.

6. BusterBunny

BusterBunny Early Procrastinator

It's all mp3 I think (I saw the install files). So rename your favorite mp3 to the songs in CIV3 and you will have better music :D

7. D_L_26

D_L_26 Surface Marshal

WAHHH, WAHHH, WAHHH!!!!!!!!!! THE MUSIC STINKS

Shut up, I wont get to play the game till late December-Early January, At least you can play the game!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SvenSlayer

SvenSlayer Berserkr

Well, the music in Civ 2 wasn't that hot, either.

BUT I WANT TO PLAY THE GAME NOW! When is it coming out in South Africa?

9. Johnny Tsunami

Johnny Tsunami Warlord

The music is fine -- it's just your hearing that sucks..perhaps you have a banana stuck in it?

10. shirleyrocks

shirleyrocks Prince

I agree...to a point. I turned it off after about 3 minutes because of that incessant, slow, annoying drum beat. :crazyeyes

I suppose it COULD get better after awhile :) I love Civ3

11. -proletarian-

-proletarian- Chairman and CEO

Well, I have to disagree with ya there bud, the music rocks! ;)

The slow drum beat really captures the soul and ambience of the ancient era, in my opinion. :p

12. doug219

doug219 Chieftain

I agree that Civ 2's music was pretty ordinary. I hope civ 3 has improved this aspect of the game. The only game music I can hack is Shogun's which I find surprisingly soothing and atmospheric. It would be nice if there was a triumphant chord as you conquer an enemy.

Music is very subject in any case but I like the idea of it building as your empire progresses. May even get to hear it myself when Civ 3 hits the stores here in Australia one day in the distant future.

13. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

Terser

You are wrong and mad...

14. CeasarSalad

CeasarSalad Chieftain

Terser,

You're way off base. If the ancient music were all that there was to it I'd agree but the two modern themes ROCK. I mean they're GREAT. I want the soundtrack. That industrial age renaissance sounding piece and the indian theme are also awesome. Awesome awesome awesome. I love the sitar. Groooovy, baby.

15. Mike C

Mike C Centurion

I have to say that the music is pretty decent myself. Its not something I notice particularly, which is the way its suppose to be, unintrusive and in the background.

I wouldn't say its a masterpiece of music though as some would suggest;)

16. Giorgicus

Giorgicus Master and Commander

Terser:

Did you expect that the music in ancient times and of faraway cultures should be generated by a modern guitar, bass rhythym and accompaniment?

17. Terser

Terser Anti-tank Spearman

Giorgicus...really bored, huh?;)

But in all seriousness: I was wrong. The music later in the game improves greatly, and I've actually come to like the main theme.

Combat system still sux, though...

18. Sman

Sman Diplomacy is over!

LOL.. I haven't even noticed the music either... but I listened to it and it ain't that bad. But I think games should come like Xbox games where you can play your favriot tunes as the background. I know there is some games where u can do that but why can't all games be like that.

19. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

I've had no major upsets...just the element of chance...if chance wasn't an element my Roman Army under the leadership of Trajan would win all the time...

Yeah! Second game I am playing of civ3 (after 1st one where I got used to interface) I got a great leader at about 1 A.D...I've had 2 cities burnt down, 1 taken by culture, have conquered 2 cities by culture and invaded 8 cities (all but one was Zulu) on an apolyton huge world map (realistic) in which I started in the right place :D...

This is at Monarch level as I'm arrogant and an experienced civ2 player...I couldn't go back to the simplicity of civ2 now!

20. WarandPeace

WarandPeace Warlord

Music is actually one of the better aspects of the game that I liked. In fact, I don't think the music could be any better! :)