The Hundred Years' War

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modpacks' started by Le Sage, Jan 26, 2010.

1. peapd

peapd Chieftain

Hi, neat looking mod.

I get an error:

There is no UI (mini-map, buttons, nothing).

There is a status message: "Bug - no xml file for mod init"

I am patched to 3.19, but I do have BUG mod set to auto-run (or whatever it's called).

Suggestions?

2. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

This is what Phungus wrote on another thread about this: "The creators of those mods need to set it so they don't load custom assets. You can do this yourself, open up the mod's main in file (found in the mod's folder, it has the same name as the mod), and set the Don't Load Custom Assets to 1 (or maybe it says Load Custom Assets, in which case change it to 0). That's all you need to do, and the problem will go away. Also bother the creators of those mods to do that, there is no reason for thier mods to allow loading of custom assets and it only causes problems. Also try Legends of Revolution, you'll enjoy it."

So you simply need to change the .ini-file. I have changed it in the mod's .ini file and that update will be present in the next update as well. I keep the Custom Assets at 0, because without that, Blue Marble doesn't work...

This is how the entry in your .ini-file should look:

; Custom XML and Python from user folder are not loaded
    NoCustomAssets = 1

Check this thread about this phenomenon: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=351059

Oh, and thanks for reporting the problem, Peapd. Tell me how it works, eh and I will include the solution in a troubleshooting part in the top post!

3. peapd

peapd Chieftain

Your suggestion worked, thanks for the quick reply.

4. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

4.2. Minor update, February 16, 2010

*Gave France a capital on the big Campaign map.
    *Reskinned the shield on one of Danrell's knights. The Lancers used to have German Teutonic crosses on their shields.
    *Made frames around the unit buttons. They don't work well with Blue Marble. Sigh!
    *Removed the unsuitable Victory Move with tanks and airplanes.

I also updated the ReadMe with the CustomAssets issue adressed in the posts above! I decided to keep the solution in the ReadMe for now.

5. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Yeyyy, Peapd! :D

Thanks for reporting!

6. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

La Patrie en Danger!
    An Extra Scenario for The Hundred Years' War Mod

OK. This is the Big One. The English King Henry V has landed his army of 10.000 at Harfleur in Normandie; the French stand unprepared and their army is still being put together, however, it is scattered throughout the land and it takes time to react.

French skirmishers keep an eye over the border and notice massive troop movements on the English side. They're on their way! The army is still being mobilized between Orléans and Paris, but cavalry squadrons are immediately dispatched to Normandie.

Here they come! No! You're not getting over this river, Henry. The initial fighting is steaming hot; the French win a minor victory at high costs, but the English pump in reinforcements. At the sight of the English longbowmen, the French mounted troops pull back to Tours after having fulfilled a successful operation.

The English are on the move south though, further up the road. The French have so far only engaged their left flank. The bulk of the English army marches on intact. Welcome to France!

This bonus scenario is based on the situation in 1415 and the battle of Agincourt. In this scenario of The Hundred Years' War, there will be no middle peace between England and France; the fight must go on until either side is annihilated!

Burgundy and Navarre are also playable, and are able to make or break peace agreements at will and choose whichever side in this epic conflict.

Download the Agincourt 1415 Scenario here. Just put the WorldBuilderSave file in your Public Maps folder in the Hundred Years' War mod folder and start the game as usual.

---

7. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Trying to Remain Neutral
    A what-fi Scenario for the Hundred Years' War

This is a what-if scenario based on a saved game of mine. You play Burgundy as it has just been attacked by England.

England and France have been fighting on and off since 1337 and in 1369 a large pitched battle was fought in Normandy, with the French as victors. England now needs to take on a smaller bite to fight a successful war. In the summer of 1379 England declares war on Burgundy and Navarre soon does the same.

Burgundy has remained outside the war all the time. We have been building our cities and only annexing a few smaller neighbours. The country is not weak, however, for we have seen this conflict with England coming on for a long while; the troops stand ready in the western border fortresses.

England has a larger army near the Burgundian border and is also shipping over more from the homeland. It is your decision whether to attack without hesitation, or defend the borders. France remains outside the conflict, but might be persuaded to join later on. Some of Burgundy's cities have grown too large.

Download this scenario for The Hundred Years' War here, and install it by placing the file in the PublicMaps folder of the mod folder.

8. Shiggs713

Shiggs713 Immortal

Looks good, once again. I'll have to try the new scenario out when I take some time off from my own modding adventures. :thumbsup:

9. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Oh yeah. I know what you mean there. I too seem to have a lot going an not enough time actually playing other peoples' mods! have my fantasy project going now.

I also have something else planned which will deal with a certain period in French history, in which I will use the same map as I've used in the Hundred Years' War. It's just on the idea-stage as yet though.

I'm looking forward to your finished Civil War, so keep on modding!

10. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

I tried the mod several days ago, since this is on a topic of interest to me. Good job -- great start! So, thanks for all the work.

There are some issues that probably need to be addressed at some point.

1. Burgundy might start as a French vassal, but with a positive weight toward England. I'm not sure if this will work, but the idea would be that they would reject their link with the King of France and seek an alliance with England (perhaps a timed event?)

2. Burgundy doesn't look right for early 1337. Burgundy should be located essentially around Dijon (the duchy's capital!), just north of Lyon and include Besançon (Franche-Comté). They didn't have anything in Lorraine or Flanders yet. Burgundy didn't acquire Luxembourg until 1460! Nancy was never a part of Burgundy AFAIK. Arras (just north of Amiens) was transferred to Burgundy in 1347. The arms of Bourgogne aren't right either, but I'm sure that was obvious! :)

3. Calais wasn't English at all in 1337. Calais was turned over to England in 1360 as the result of the Treaty of Brétigny. England should start with just Bayonne and Bordeaux in 1337 in France.

4. Avignon should be on the map (northwest of Marseille) because it was the seat of the French-influenced Papacy (the "anti-pope" was in Rome). It would be considered a holy city at least for the purpose of the scenario (perhaps another vassal of France?).

5. Bretagne should not be a collection of "barbarian" cities. Why mot make it an independent minor state? You need to include the following cities -- Rennes (the capital!), Lorient, St. Brieux, and Brest. I'm not sure why there are so many barbarian cities anyway -- these should be either part of France or minor vassals. Barbarians units ought to be created when French armies are defeated in combat (defeated troops other than French nobles become bandits and can be powerful enough to attack cities.) Of course, this requires some additional coding.

6. The Plague??? Anything coming on this?

7. Other Map Issues: Normandie. The city labeled "Normandie" should perhaps be renamed Caen. Cherbourg ought to be added at the tip of the Cotentin Peninsula. Marseille and Rouen should both be port cities (kinda tough to do with Rouen since it's on the Seine river, inland). Montpellier is *not* a port.

Rename & reposition cities:

Your "La Rochelle" should be Sainte (and not a port city)
    Your "Angoulême" should be La Rochelle (a major port)
    Your "Gascogne" should be Auch,
    Your "Auvergne" Clermont (shift it northward)
    Your "Périgord" Périgueux (shift it northward)
    Your "Limousin" Limoges (shift it northward)
    Your "Guyenne" should be Angoulême
    Your Poitiers and Bourges should be shifted well northward also.
    Your "Marche" should be renamed "La Marche" and shifted way north (it's really a minor place)
    Your "Picardie" should be St. Quentin and moved southwest
    (There's now room to add Namur which is part of Flanders)
    Nudge Amiens a notch southeast and add Arras just north.
    Your "Champagne" should be Troyes and moved north.
    Your "Hainault" should be "Cologne" (part of the Holy Roman Empire)
    Your "Franche Comté" should be Besançon, just east of Dijon (add Dijon!)
    Your "Besançon" needs to be deleted. There was no major city there.
    Your "Brabant" should be "Bruges," a major port and trading center
    Move Marseille one notch southeast.
    Move "Dauphiné" against the Alps and rename Grenoble.
    Add Avignon northwest of Marseille, on the river.

The southern tip of the alps need to be much farther east
    There should be a passage between France and Catalonia at the eastern tip of the Pyrenées. None of the mountains of Auvergne should be impassable (forested hills).

You actually have room to add Chambérry (Savoie) and possibly the County of Nice. A timed event could join Nice to Savoie in 1388. Savoie would be an independent minor state in this game.

With all the changes I suggested, I'm not sure if you could still fit Le Mans (Maine/Anjou) just north of Tours. You can't have Medieval France without Anjou!

Phew... :)

I know it's a lot. I can help with historical research (ruling families and heraldic arms). I'm surprised you picked that period. The first Hundred Years War might have been more interesting (Plantagenet, Louis VII, Eleanor of Aquitaine, etc...) Most of the big counties and duchies at that time could easily be represented as vassals of England or France (which consisted of just Paris and Orléans).

Good luck!

11. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Oh yeah! Thanks for a really good, interesting post. This is the sort of stuff I'm looking for. :)

I mention in the Read-Me as well as in the file description that I'm not writing a history book with this mod, but rather trying to create an exciting and interesting computer game, so I am aware of many of the issues you raise here. Your post here above, does inspire me though, and I get an idea of trying to make such a map of France in 1337-1453 that would be as historically correct as possible, and your opinions here will help me a lot in that.

I am aware of the problem with Calais. Calais was taken after Crécy, and not before. I turned it over to the English immediately only for balance reasons. I could easily have made a French garrison of the weaker kind with English superior forces all around, but I went for the former solution.

I've been thinking a bit about the Black Death too. As an initial solution, I turned down city growth. But that is not enough. I am going to add "random events" to better simulate the Black Death ravaging Europe.

Yes. Burgundy doesn't look right. But Nancy was indeed a part of the Duchy of Burgundy, although it was later, during the 1400's. There was even a battle fought at Nancy in 1477 where the Duchy lost a lot of pride. But again, the Duchy was designed for balance reasons, but the names of the cities could easily be rearranged to better reflect the correct historical situation. And yes, their flag is seriously wrong too. It's just the vanilla Dutch flag. ;)

The many Barbarian cities were made to reflect minor counties. They are there for the player to conquer, since no settlers can be built. It is the only way to expand the player's kingdom without going to war with the other nations.

You do raise some very good ideas. I could pretty easily add independent minor states too. It's just a matter of adding new Burgundies and Navarres, getting leader portraits and so on. Such small states would have new, exciting implications on gameplay as well. Thank you for your opinions. I will indeed have them in mind when making the future updates! Anjou and Avignon are on the priority list. I was thinking about Avignon, but was not certain how to add it as the Pope's residence. I didn't want to add the Apostolic Palace, but I can easily rename the Church of Birth (or whatever it's called in Civ) Papal Palace and thus add it as a holy city. I didn't think of that before.

How did you like the game in general? Was the fighting good? It was hard to create a balanced fight on the smaller scenario maps, and therefore I turned to creating a bigger campaign map. I designed it from scratch in MapView, and it's pretty new, so it will need some updates still.

12. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

You're welcome.

See attached map. It might help.

Events will help greatly in "simulating" treaties and such (even though the corresponding battles might not take place during the game.)

Ditto -- events. I used a "stratagem" in my Battle of Britain by including a special building in every foreign city occupied by the Germans. It gave a very big production penalty to these cities. You could do the same in the vast majority of minor cities in France, to simulate the internecine rivalries hurting production, money, and happiness.

I may be wrong on this, but I seriously suggest you revisit the history of Lorraine and Nancy. The Battle in 1477 was between the Dukes of Lorraine and Burgundy. Again, events can fix a few things.

Use the silly stratagem and force the French to go beat up on the real enemies. ;)

(...)

Fun. Got a lot of room for improvement. Research went waaay too fast. The research tree could be expanded to focus on the ideas of the time. This could affect weapons, it could be used as a device to time the arrival of historical figures in the game, and also as a way to alter the sense among the French that the English more than overstated they welcome! By the 1400's, many towns in France started siding against the English because of the depredations they inflicted there. This means you'd have to have some "techs" that are French only and gradually improve French "public opinion," so to speak. This also implies for the English that they are playing against the clock. This would make the game more challenging on both sides, especially if the French start really weak. You also need to include a Black Prince early in the game, and move Joan of Arc to the 1400's (maybe she appears as the result of a new French tech.) Make them separate units with really powerful stats rather than leaders! The Black Prince could result from an earlier English tech. One of the things the English did really well was pillaging and returning wealth back to England to finance more troops. Perhaps a special ability of the English would be to receive a "supply" unit when they pillage a city, which can then be transported to London and traded there for a building or some army units. Just a thought.

More later! Gotta get some sleep. Cheers.

Map Addendum -- I forgot the tag under the capital of Bretagne (Rennes). La Marche could be added to the map (exactly half-way between Poitiers and Moulins/Bourbonnais). The County of Foix could also be added, directly under Toulouse.

Attached Files:

13. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

You are right about Nancy. My bad. The battle of Nancy in 1477 was between the Duke of Lorraine and the Duke of Burgundy, Charles the Bold, who actually died in that battle. It was fought because Charles tried to conquer Lorraine to bind together Burgundy proper with his Dutch possessions and indeed create an independent state. So Nancy shouldn't have been included on my map in the first place; possibly only as a wedge between Burgundy and the Dutch cities then. Anyhow, that battle was also, as said, in 1477, and long after the historical period of this mod. I must have read the maps wrong and mixed it up with Dijon. Oh well. Nothing that can't be corrected.

Thanks for the map. It will indeed be useful! I actually don't think I will be adding any new nations though, except for the French vassal Church State at Avignon. I want France and England, and Burgundy and Navarre were just included for good measure in the first place. I do intend to skip Cologne and any German cities and don't think I'm going further into Italy either. I'd like to keep the action in northern/south Western France. Avignon will be added, as related, with the renamed Church of Nativity. I don't think southern France needs further redesign. Bretagne and Normandie do, as you note, on the other hand, so I have to think about those.

The idea with a special building is interesting. I'd rather turn up unhealthiness at the beginning to depict overall medieval diseases and dirty cities, and then add a building that counters that. I already added the Bastille. The Black Death needs a series of Events, around the year 1350.

At first, I just put Jeanne d'Arc there on the 1337 map, because I didn't know how to make units appear at a specific date or at the invention of a specific tech. That's something I learned just yesterday in my other mod! So the tech tree might be expanded somewhat too. Thanks for the ideas on that one. Proper military techs can easily be added, but I do not want too much tech, economy and civilian business though as this is intended to be a fast-paced wargame.

I don't know when I'm going to have time for the update. I am rather busy right now with work and another mod as well. But I'll make room for the Hundred Years' War in the weekend at least. Thanks again for some excellent ideas, of which much can be implemented, and for the correction on Nancy too! :)

14. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

Glad I could be of service. If you're going to add Avignon (good choice) I would also quite definitely add Bretagne as well (as a minor independent state).

Good luck. Cheers!

15. Sagitario

Sagitario Extremist Zionist Salsero

Play as France and you'll win every time!

16. Ambreville

Ambreville Deity

17. Genghis Dhan

Genghis Dhan Chieftain

I can't get this to run properly. I installed it to the BTS/Mods folder (I have installed various mods, including Balkan Total War last week, and I'm familiar with the drill.)

I boot BTS, go to Advanced, and load the Hundred Years mod. The game closes briefly, and reopens, and with a gorgeous Hundred Years' War painting as the wallpaper for the menu. But but when it does, my menus grays out "Play Now" which would allow me to choose my ruler, civ and game settings, and start a game. The clickable links given to me on this menu don't help me; I can "Load Game" (but I haven't started a game yet); I can click on "Beyond the Sword Content" which gives me standard BTS scenarios but not this one; and I can click on "Play a Scenario", which only offers me one choice, "WB Quick Save" (I've never figured out what that is.) "Custom Game" and "Custom Scenario" are also grayed out. Any advice?

Last night I failed completely to install the American Civil War Beta and The Ancient Mediterranean mods. I had trouble just installing them to the Mods folder and assumed the download packages were defective, particularly the Civil War since it was a Beta edition. But now I'm wondering if I have some more complicated problem. By the way I have the 3.19 patch installed.

18. Genghis Dhan

Genghis Dhan Chieftain

Update. I got the American Civil War Beta to install and run (with some errors.) One observation that may affect the Hundred Years War problem. Loading the American Civil War mod and getting to its menu, I had the same array of grayed-out options. However, here, in "Play A Scenario", I am offered the "Great Civil War Map" option in addition to the WB Quick Save, and clicking on it got me to the game. Perhaps this is where I should be seeing the "Hundred Years War" option?

19. Le Sage

Le Sage Emperor

Hello. You should try and reinstall the mod. Just drag and drop the Hundred Years' War folder found in the .zip to your Mods folder in BtS. All the files should then transport over and you should overwrite all files where asked.

The menu options are supposed to be Grayed out, as I remember it, and only the scenario option available. In there, there should also be several Hundred Years' War scenarios. You'll find whther or not you have those scenarios in the right place by looking in the Maps folders of your Hundred Years' War folder.

The game should be installed to the correct installation path too. It should NOT be in the MyGames folder!

Ah. The memories with this old mod. I've actually been toying with the idea of making a Hundred Years' War 2, since this old one was my first mod and not really up-to-scratch. But it's interesting, fin and playable nonetheless!

20. roaringlion510

roaringlion510 Chieftain

I'm not sure whether it's something on my end or the download's end, but for some reason the download link isn't working for me. I keep getting a 'file not found-' any thoughts?

That aside, thanks for putting something out about the Hundred Years' War! not as familiar with the period as I'd like to be, but I do find it interesting and applaud one who takes the effort to manifest it in Civ4. I, for one, would be interested to see what you could do with it now that you've some experience under your belt. ;)