The Huns

Just wanted to say that I'm having a lot more fun in my current Hun game with the new update. With the weariness changes I'm happy to throw my low-promoted captured units at my enemies with reckless abandon any time I'm near my unit cap, not really caring if they live or die. My plan is to wear my enemies down with attrition as war weariness grinds them down and easily recoup my losses with my highly promoted mounted units capturing fresh recruits.

A direct way to see the impacts of war weariness on your enemy could be a nice feature (maybe a spy in their cities can already get you hints if this via negative production/growth modifiers?).

A direct way to see the impacts of war weariness on your enemy could be a nice feature (maybe a spy in their cities can already get you hints if this via negative production/growth modifiers?).
You can just check the ideology screen for their overall happiness.
If they have negative :c5unhappy: happiness. you can also just hover over any of their units, and check what their unhappiness :c5strength:CS malus is at

You can just check the ideology screen for their overall happiness.
If they have negative :c5unhappy: happiness. you can also just hover over any of their units, and check what their unhappiness :c5strength:CS malus is at
But if they have high happiness, they could still be positive even with maxed WW. And the WW penalties on supply cap, causing them to be over cap, are just as bad if not worse than unhappiness numbers greater than -20.

Just wanted to say that I'm having a lot more fun in my current Hun game with the new update. With the weariness changes I'm happy to throw my low-promoted captured units at my enemies with reckless abandon any time I'm near my unit cap, not really caring if they live or die. My plan is to wear my enemies down with attrition as war weariness grinds them down and easily recoup my losses with my highly promoted mounted units capturing fresh recruits.

This was added some time ago - if you hover over their opinion status in the leader screen, it will say how they ‘feel’ about the war.

G

Hey guys, I'm currently playing a game with the Huns.
I've noticed, sometimes, when I kill an enemy unit with my horseman, the defeat unit doesn't join my army.
Is this intended or a bug?

Hey guys, I'm currently playing a game with the Huns.
I've noticed, sometimes, when I kill an enemy unit with my horseman, the defeat unit doesn't join my army.
Is this intended or a bug?

I'm pretty sure it specifically says they have a chance to capture defeated units.

I'm pretty sure it specifically says they have a chance to capture defeated units.
It even shows the chance percentage... lol

Spoiler :

I must be looking at the wrong place here.
Huh. Guess I was wrong. I could've sworn it said it explicitly somewhere.

It does show in the combat preview, but that wasn't what I had meant. Probably worth pointing out to @Gazebo and crew.

They don't show an exact number because it depends on the relative strength of the units. A horseman killing a warrior will have a different chance than a tank doing it.

They don't show an exact number because it depends on the relative strength of the units. A horseman killing a warrior will have a different chance than a tank doing it.

Sure, but it should definitely say something along the lines of "Mounted melee and armor units have a chance to capture defeated units."

The text saying what the war weariness modifier does is super vague too.

Agreed. I remember seeing that when I played him and assuming that both the enemy and I got -50% war weariness. Turns out I get -50% and they get +50%, so it's actually a lot stronger than I initially thought. I assume there's a character limit in there, though, and that seems difficult to phrase concisely. "Friendly war weariness -50%, enemy war weariness +50%" is probably the best I could do quickly, but that's not very good "plain language." Probably the same reason for the lack of clarity on the capturing part, too; there's just a lot to explain in that small space.

Last edited:
Is is the war weariness modifier that allows the Huns to "cheat"?
I mean, one era ahead is in general not enough vs him, cant imagine what its like to fight him on diety.
Of course if YOU play as Atilla you get the human player war weariness so I assume its not nearly as good ... or is it? (was some time ago since I played with him)

Here's me inside my territory with crusader spirit.
Spoiler :

upload_2020-5-18_13-25-42.png

And here's a mouse over on my turn vs that same unit.
Any idea what the misc +30% hun bonus could be?
Spoiler :

upload_2020-5-18_13-28-7.png

Is is the war weariness modifier that allows the Huns to "cheat"?
I mean, one era ahead is in general not enough vs him, cant imagine what its like to fight him on diety.
Of course if YOU play as Atilla you get the human player war weariness so I assume its not nearly as good ... or is it? (was some time ago since I played with him)

Here's me inside my territory with crusader spirit.

And here's a mouse over on my turn vs that same unit.
Any idea what the misc +30% hun bonus could be?

AI doesn't get less war weariness than the human, but they do have more base happiness (and on the highest difficulties, a little less unhappiness from needs). Mostly it's probably better happiness management on a city-by-city basis, though.

Are the Huns really a "civilization," though? In Civ2, "Attila," was the default name of the "Barbarian leader." There was no record of any nation-building (except gathering hordes to plunder the Romans and Sassanids), city-building, land-improvement, lasting lawmaking, governance outside decree by fiat as needed, economic production (outside horsebreeding, leatherworking, weapon-making, and brewing/distilling, all as small-scale cottage industries, and, of course, plunder), etc. Just a thought on the label of "civilization," for this ethnicity, which also has a close to unattested language and no verifiably known or understood religious values or beliefs.

Moderator Action: Please do not derail this thread in a historical discussion that is not part of the topic of this thread. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the Huns really a "civilization," though? In Civ2, "Attila," was the default name of the "Barbarian leader." There was no record of any nation-building (except gathering hordes to plunder the Romans and Sassanids), city-building, land-improvement, lasting lawmaking, governance outside decree by fiat as needed, economic production (outside horsebreeding, leatherworking, weapon-making, and brewing/distilling, all as small-scale cottage industries, and, of course, plunder), etc. Just a thought on the label of "civilization," for this ethnicity, which also has a close to unattested language and no verifiably known or understood religious values or beliefs.

That's not a question for this forum, though.

Attila's (and the Huns') inclusion as a civilization has been made and done by the Firaxis team, and Vox Populi has no real concerns to try and remove this change.

Is their inclusion a bit loose in regards to their actual accomplishments? Not really, as the Huns were one of the contributing factors for the Fall of Rome.

Playing my current games as the Huns and they are really fun to play. The capturing from mounted units, the extra tile claiming based on terrain type, and the war weariness buff makes them feel unique for the entire game, which is always nice. Probably my favorite warmongering Civ. :)

A fun combo ive found is capturing units and the faith on death from ceremonial burial. Most of the time captured units die immediately anyway, so it’s a nice extra source of faith during war. I’ve probably gained over 1000 extra faith in 5 turns of battle capturing 2 or 3 enemy units a turn. I’ve always thought that part of the belief was pretty garbage but it’s actually half decent on Attila.

Top Bottom