The Huns

Ok so basically when you play Huns you can get, reinforce and increase your army for free. Just build some horsemen, start war with anybody, capture some spearmen, archers. Then it will be easier for you to capture more. The snowballing has began. You can even leave enemy cities alone just to let them produce units and thrn capture them too. No idea why anybody didn't notice imbalance of that. Several successful wars - and your army becomes so huge nobody cam stop it. The best and only way to counter this is either to make a crushing blow early on, or go full defensive with citadels between mountains, spearmen etc. The latter won't work if your territory is flat and without much hills/forests - you won't be able to concentrate sufficient force in every part of your border. Also even if it works - it will mean you won't be able to advance and expand beyond your borders until you make enough military power to defeat Huns in open terrain. But you will never able to, because 1) you will need much larger force because Huns have flanking bonuses and because they will capture some of your units and use them against you ( so you must outnumber them at least 2 to 1 initially ); and 2) Huns can increase army fastet because they build it in cities AND capture units from city states and other civs. So going full defensive will only buy you some time, but time will be against you. So only crushing Huns early (VERY early, before they make first horseman ideally) is viable option.
And like if that's not enough - there are Eki which can give insane amount of production which will also boost military units production.
And you can pick God of War pantheon and max out Authority branch, meaning every kill will get you free units, science, culture, faith (which you can use to purchase more units) and gold (which you can use to upgrade units after capturing puppets). You won't even need to have cities at this point, army will advance your civ by itself.
This civ is no joke, seriously. It's even more broken than Sweden.
Huns vs Sweden in late game? No problem, Sweden will be outnumbered 10 to 1 and no amount of insta-healing will help.
So let's reduce unit capture chance to sane value like 20%, now it's just too easy and not even fun.

If you want to win against Huns, don't lose units to them...

Leeching units from city states & clueless AIs + production from ekis are quite powerful, I agree. Maybe lose something from UI? I'd say at least drop -production from Chivalry: it's already very powerful improvement and these additional +prod are launching Attilla into an all-building industrial powerhouse.

Last edited:
Yes "don't lose units" is good advice but in any serious war between players it's only possible if Huns player is really stupid, or if you outnumber him at least 2 to 1 ( I think even 3 to 1 is required ). Otherwise units are lost occasionally on both sides, and this will quickly turn odds against you.

This is even worse on Emperor or higher difficulty because Huns player can use AIs as his personal units farm (due to unit production bonuses of AI its much more efficient than to just capture him), also it will be constant flow of generals and XP which will quickly result in tons of psycho horses with March and Overrun.

Last game yes, and of course I got peaceful race and spawned on island with near-zero production tiles, zero mountains, mostly just wide open areas ideal for horse attacks. And of course he started on nearby island with lake, lots of production tiles, horses and elephants, perfect scenario for early horsemen conquest. I couldn't rush him early or disrupt his horses because of coast tiles. By time I got sailing he already had superior production and army. I tried to separate him with triremes but didn't make it, needed about 5 more turns but he already came to my island with elephants. No way to defend in open area (almost no hills/forests/rivers), RIP improvements, GG. Also we were alone on these island so nobody could help me.
But game before I got Huns myself and it was so easy, required no effort to just stomp everything - emperor AIs, players, city states. TOO EASY. Not fun at all.

But game before I got Huns myself and it was so easy, required no effort to just stomp everything - emperor AIs, players, city states. TOO EASY. Not fun at all.
So when you win with it keep quiet, when you lose to it make a thread instantly? Fantastic.

So when you win with it keep quiet, when you lose to it make a thread instantly? Fantastic.
WTF? I created thread because two consequetial EZ WINs with Huns finally depleted my patience for this race. Actually every goddamned game that had Huns ended in similar way - Huns snowballing insanely and other players just give up. I don't remember any game that turned out differently for Huns. Even AI with Huns is much more difficult to beat than any other race.

WTF? I created thread because two consequetial EZ WINs with Huns finally depleted my patience for this race. Actually every goddamned game that had Huns ended in similar way - Huns snowballing insanely and other players just give up. I don't remember any game that turned out differently for Huns. Even AI with Huns is much more difficult to beat than any other race.
That has not been my experience with them.

AI Huns are less scary than Aztec, Mongolia and others. They're middle of the pack.

Player Huns are much less scary than Aztec, Venice, China or Zulu.

AI Huns are less scary than Aztec, Mongolia and others. They're middle of the pack.

Player Huns are much less scary than Aztec, Venice, China or Zulu.
HA HA HA

Unless early-rushed, decent Huns player can beat all of them (combined) to a pulp, basically just stomp them to oblivion

Unit capture is notably worse in AI hands because it's bad at prioritizing last hits. In human hands, the ability is drastically limited by unit supply.
Great to make an army early game, but it's just a nice perk after that.

Though who knows what the game is like in PVP!

the ability is drastically limited by unit supply.
Does chance of capture disappear after you exceeded your supply cap? If no - it's not limited, army can just grow infinetely and upgrade itself for gold earned by killing. Even if capturing stops - it's easy to extend supply cap by citadels, as Huns player will get tons of generals anyway. So no, it's not limited at all.

Please note unworked horses at turn 173 and complete absense of military units.

@nj666's skills aside, Huns are still very much OP. We had several hun-including games recently and everywhere they are spiralling out of control after acquiring horses. In today's one, @nj666 as Attilla, being as great player as he is, still managed to grab most of the continent and is hammering on me with horses for last 150 turns. He's broke and empire is rebellious (mildness of 'rebellions' is another issue I raised in General Balance) but still the stream of new units is unending. At the very least, I propose 25% chance to capture a unit and lower Eki production.

Top Bottom