1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The illogical hypocrisy of 50/50 gender employment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bhavv, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Scarcity was meant to convey how much of time we have vs how much of them the economy need, yes.

In the NBA/WNBA case, it actually wouldn't come into play at all, seeing as they're different businesses. If there was an UNBA (Unified NBA), however, they would be required to pay their male and female players on the same payscale.

(Not the same amount, since they're individual contracts, but you couldn't have two salaray caps, one for men and women, and one minimum salary for women, one for men).

2. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

Agreed (I think)

The highest paid MMA fighter right now is a woman (Disclaimer: I'm not a fan, but this is what I've read and heard, so I could be wrong, but don't think that I am.)

She gets paid the most because she draws the biggest crowds, not because they wanted to be nice to her or give her a raise because she's a woman, or whatever. And that's fine.

3. Nexlev

Nexlev King

Why let it bother you? Feminists are going to feminist, and the problematic problems are going to problemate, because changes are not driven through sufficiently repetitive complaining.

As long as women don't run for office, and don't vote for women who do run for office, there will be less women representatives in a representative democracy.

As long as less women choose to major in stem, there will be less women in stem fields.

As long as women choose to stay home or work part time, there will be less women working full time.

As long as women choose to describe their decisions in a passive voice, they will be seen as passive.

Let women make their decisions, you make yours. Let them complain about these things, if that's what they want to do.

As far as your question, why don't feminists complain about unequal representation of genders at the bottom of society... do you really need an explanation for that?

4. bhavv

bhavv Glorious World Dictator

Its bothers me because I hate hypocrisy and illogic.

5. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Although the goal of achieving approximate parity in Parliament is a laudable one, this is a pretty dopey campaign. What steps do the petitioners want the government to take?

I went from link to link to link, looking for some kind of plan to get there. I saw a letter to the PM, asking him to "do something." A single sentence in about the fourth webpage is a little helpful; it states: "Real gender equality will require changes to organisational culture, recruitment processes, retention, review and returner-ship programmes, as well as a critical look at young people's educational and societal development."

I found long ago that, if you want to solve a problem, you must point out that problem but also present a plausible solution for it. Here, the petitioners are only doing the first step.

What do they want the PM to do, or want us as a society to do, or want anyone anywhere to do?

6. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

This whole thread is a strawman. Reasonable, mainstream feminists are not exacting for literal 50/50 in the workplace. They are asking for equal opportunity/access, which for most professions should end up in 50/50 employment.

No doubt there are some extremists demanding a literal 50/50, but anyone who is reasonable would know to ignore them.

7. schlaufuchs

schlaufuchs La Femme Moderne

And yet you refuse to get your dead tooth taken care of.

And you also eat Domino's Pizza

8. Evie

A start might be to mandate a gradual shift to a 50/50 balance in candidates from political parties. It's not going to be perfect ; at first they'll just put women in the seats they can't win. But it's going to force them to take a harder look at potential women candidate and slowly batter down the organisational culture's "boy club" mentality. And the more women candidates there are, the more voters will have to consider them, and get in the habit of voting for them.

9. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

They think it's all about social constructs. Hence, having achieved equal opportunity and not actually achieving equality they assume that they haven't achieved equal opportunity yet.

Teaching. The vast majority of our youngsters are taught almost exclusively by highly trained women for over a decade of their lives. Which begs the question of who is instilling them with so many patriarchal viewpoints :)sarcasm:) and why there is no campaign to get more men into the profession.

10. Evie

The notion that we've achieved equal opportunities is a joke perpetuated by people who refuse to look at the facts.

Legislative equality (which we mostly have, whenever Republicans aren't trying to undermine it) and equal opportunity are not the same in any sane way.

11. brennan

brennan Argumentative Brit

Ah look, a perfect example, it's amazing how quickly they pop up in these threads.

What stops women from running for ultimate power? *cough* Hilary *cough* Maggie *cough*...

12. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus

If we're going to measure equality by the top end (which is stupid), you've dug your own hole there - what proportion of Presidents and Prime Ministers have been women, since we allowed women the right to stand? How about nominees? Senators and representatives?

The point, though, is that we shouldn't be focusing on where it's possible to get with absolutely everything in favour of you except your gender - we should be looking at the ordinary people who still find themselves having a rough deal. And then we look at the employment statistics and plot a nice graph of how much a given job pays and the likelihood that it is occupied by a man. Then we remind ourselves that money is power in our society in just about every way.

13. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Yeah, you caught onto us. :rolleyes: All dozen or so of us here are secretly plotting to take over CFC. It's a tough slog, though, given that there are currently no female moderators, and the most there ever were at one time was three.

What's your take on the Trudeau cabinet (15 men, 15 women)? The CBC comment pages are full of whining from Conservatives complaining about people getting their cabinet jobs due to quotas, not merit. So far the person I asked if he was complaining about the male cabinet ministers getting their jobs just for being men has been silent on the issue...

What about them?

I had a couple of male teachers in elementary school. They taught math, science, art, and gym. The only thing that bothered me was that it's a bit inappropriate for girls around the ages of 10-12 to have a male gym teacher.

14. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

May I ask why?

15. Evie

Equal opportunity doesn't mean "nothing stops you".

It means two equal candidates whose only difference is gender would have equal odds of making it in politics. THAT is equal opportunities. And in a world where there is a very sizeable skew against women in politics (less than 20% in the US house, 20% in the Senate, 26% in the Canadian house, etc), and where women running in politics get treated demonstrably differently from male candidate (including extensive attacks based on physical appearance), THAT doesn't exist.

My take is that I have yet to see any evidence any of the women in the Trudeau Cabinet are not qualified for the jobs they have. Some of them are extradorinarily qualified, others merely very qualified.

And yes, some equally qualified men (and men with equal qualifications but more experience) were pushed aside, but women are never going to get ministerial experience if they get constantly pushed aside because men (who were appointed back when being a man was a qualification) "have more experience".

16. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

2 Paragraphs later:

So what about the "equal opportunity" of these men who were pushed aside only because their gender is over-represented? What an inconsistent opinion.

17. bhavv

You could at the least have clicked on the link in the OP.

Mainstream feminism is factually and demonstrably trying to push for 50/50 in the workplace.

However, they are only interested in this '50/50' in favour of women.

18. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

wow I didn't know the parliament in the UK was every workplace! What an amazing system you guys have.

19. Evie

50:50 in one very specific and VERY critical workplace (you know, the one that decides how the entire country is run) does not equal 50:50 in EVERY workplace.

Bit of an illogical hypocrisy to insinuate it does, really. Or is hypocrisy something that only other people are capable of?

20. bhavv