The Immortal Alphabetical Game #1 - Morocco

Gustavus Rex

Prince
Welcome to the new community series for Immortal games!

This time we will have no dedicated hosting. Everyone can post a new map 7-10 days after the recent one. If you have rolled a nice map and really want to post it, be sure to let the community know in the game before so you wont miss the opportunity to someone else.

To make the achievements-part simple I suggest we always go with 3 with points 1-3 based on difficulty. These could point to a certain victory condition you might have in mind.

Before posting a map.

1.) Pick the next civilization in alphabetic order based on the leaders name.
2.) Make sure that the map packs are not included.
3.) Decide 3 doable achievements
4.) If you decide to include a mod. Be sure to link it in the topic.

So! Let's begin!

Game #1 Morocco

Map type & settings:

Spoiler :
Continents, standard size, standard time, standard luxuries & handpicked AI.

Achievements:

1p: Build Petra
2p: Get the Reformation social policy
3p: Win the game before turn 240

Starting position:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• IAG #1 Morocco.Civ5Save
    524 KB · Views: 194
I built Petra and then I rage quit. DO NOT READ THE SPOILER BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED:

Spoiler :
Shaka! Screwed from practically day one. As soon as I met him (turn two or three I knew I was screwed-and not in a nice way). I got desert folklore and Petra, and had a half dozen archers and a few spearmen. Upgraded to comp bowmen, and then BAM! Shaka attakcs on turn 90 with a dozen or so impis. Wiped out half my army in one turn.

I bribed him twice to war with Egypt earlier, but you can only bribe so much.

I rage quit.

Went for a pretty late SV which I originally wasn't aiming for, could have saved alot of turns as well.

Spoiler :

Only 1 war against Egypt to steal his workers.
Game was pretty meh, probably would have been more interesting if I went against Shaka instead.

Only did the Petra and Reformation.

Welp, the neighbors definitely pointed me in a different direction. Played through to T58. Spoliers aho!

Spoiler :

Shaka as your immediate neighbor means, well, it means an immediate Liberty / Composite Bow rush in my book.

Moved warrior east and decided the opening location was 'meh'. Moved east to the salt / 3x granary resources.

BO Capital: Scout / Granary / Monument / Archer x3 / Shrine / Archerx3 / Comp Bow

Tech Order: Beelined Construction.

Ruins: Spear upgrade, Pottery tech, 20 culture.

Unsure of next moves. Take Shaka's expo? Or maybe settle up with Shaka and take out Ramesses. We'll see. Shaka was kind enough to build me the Statue of Zeus, so this could go a wildly different direction.

Unsure if I'll make any of the achievements due to my bloodthirsty opening. Built shrine late ... may not get a religion. May not get Petra. We'll see.

Edit to add additional spoilers through T87.

Spoiler :

Can confirm will not get achievement 2. All religions founded. May still get Petra. Took at Egypt's expo and gave Shaka a fierce beating. I wonder if t200 is doable via DOmination?

Sub-200 win would be dom-v or sacred sites i guess. Later isn't that easy on Continents.

I'm at 249. I got Petra and Charitable Missions. I will go for Gun-boat diplo since I just now defeated 2 neighboring caps and have money and production.

Based on how my game turned out when I rolled the map I think winning before turn 200 will be pretty difficult even for the best players.

Because this:
Spoiler :

The two civilizations on the other continent were both huge cultural and scientific runnaways compared to the starting continent of war!

But I got myself a 290 Domination with good old Petra so I guess that gives me one point! :)

Spoiler :

I will win diplo at 340, wont click to finish. Had fun though. Thanks for the map!

3 points.

I call dibs on the Alex map (Jan 8th). I have a good idea for three achievements.

Turn 80

Have managed to grab both Petra and a Reformation Belief, however, very unlikely to achieve a sub-200 win...

Spoiler :
Ouch, having Shaka next door is always a challenge. The obvious answer is to do what bigwillystyle did and early rush, but then I felt that would harm my chances of Petra/Reformation. I've bribed him against Egypt and the Songhai so hopefully that'll keep him busy long enough for me to establish a decent sized military force. I suspect I'll detour to an early Machinery to get xbows for protection against the inevitable Impi onslaught.

I opened Piety immediately to grab the Reformation. Founded my religion fairly early with desert folklore and took Jesuit Education as my reformation belief. Intention now is to go back and start filling out Tradition. Going to be a late 2-city NC, but hoping to add a third city on the spot next to the salt and mountain, although Shaka has annoyingly spammed a city close to the spot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 21.30.55.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 21.30.55.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 21.31.04.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-01 at 21.31.04.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 188
t99
Spoiler :
Yikes, met Shaka, so change of plans! Went Tradition and settled two expos, first one in his face on river gold - after bribing him vs Egypt. Then built nothing but Archers until Construction, then some Spears. I kept getting lux techs and IW, but had planned to beeline for Petra more. I did steal an early Worker from Egypt, and got Egyptian Workers from Shaka.

DOW'd him after bribing vs Askia - liberated Memphis easily, but only had a Scout, whew! Ulundi fell pretty easily t86 - Egypt had killed quite a few units. Then I just pounded his last expo for many turns until Zanzibar finally swam a Spear over for the kill. I'm pretty happy having two ports. Debating settling near Salt for Cargo food.

Dido took Askia's cap and a coastal expo. It would be very easy to go DomV, but I want to try to get crazy gpt with TR UA and Mints.

Went Tradition and took Aristocracy before Monarchy to get a better shot at Petra (t99). Plan to head into Piety for Reformation, SS and Jesuit are both taken sadly. I just started building NC, so no way I'm going to have any kind of early finish time.

Religion with DF, Tithe and Mosques. No more buildings available.
Spoiler :

I built Petra and then I rage quit. DO NOT READ THE SPOILER BELOW IF YOU HAVE NOT PLAYED:I rage quit.

I don't even understand why you would do that. The proximity of certain neighbors prohibits you from any other path.

You can't expect to run into the people you run into at the proximity you run into them and not get into trouble.

Turn 200

Spoiler :
My continent is clear, I have a 500 point lead on everyone else. I met them after I cleared the continent, so everyone is fine and dandy with me. Petra T117 (absolutely no rush required on that, you can get it whenever you want), picked up a boatload of wonders from my pal Egypt to the north who was nice enough to grab some choice ones for me before he knelt to my blade. Easy Science victory ahoy.

OK I think I'm ready to play a game again. Let's start with this one.

I wonder if Morocco and DomV favours an Honor-Commerce strategy. Kasbahs provide a gold basis (especially effective combined with golden age) for purchasing units. That would save a lot of time on ocean transport.

I wonder if Morocco and DomV favours an Honor-Commerce strategy. Kasbahs provide a gold basis (especially effective combined with golden age) for purchasing units. That would save a lot of time on ocean transport.

I used that strategy, except i didn't ended up building that many kasbahs... The honor start was very nice when conquering the starting continent.

284 Sci Vic

Spoiler :
Petra 117, after I had defeated Zulu and Egypt. Marched to Songhai, wiped him out. Planted cities between Thebes and my cap and Gao and my cap. Kept capitals, razed all else. Marched to Dido, crushed her. Researched Astronomy after clearing my continent. Met everyone else, mass happy ensued. I was 500 points up when I met the other civs, didn't realize until later that the other continents capitals were all coastal. Had I built frigates, Dom V would have been pretty easy in 50 turns. I dunno if 200 is possible at all, you'd have to wipe Egypt/Zulu/Songhai, then switch to Frigates to grab Persepolis/Addis/Carthage/Byzantium. 240ish sounds right for being able to win by then, I got slowed down massively by the choke leading to Carthage.

I don't care about achievements, so I didn't bother with reformation. Just trad opener, into full liberty, Commerce to Mercantilism, Rationalism, and full freedom. Built Hubble on 282, finished the Tech tree 283 and launched 284.

Attachments

• 2016-01-04_00003.jpg
    2016-01-04_00003.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 176
T137

Lots of money, but no real plan.

Might clear the continent with Cannons...or just hold down for a CV? Or push towards a fast DiploV?

Have to say, I'm not really feeling it. Maybe I'm Civved out?

Full Piety, Aesthetics 1, Rationalism
Religious Idols, Church Property, Mosques, Choral Music

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 23.29.05.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-01-04 at 23.29.05.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 158
t196
Spoiler :
In hindsight, as other have suggested, this could have been a VERY easy Frigate rush game. I went Astronomy pretty early, then went for PP to found WC. Had I just nabbed Navigation I could have had a very large navy a while ago. As it was, I just waited for Dido to stupidly kill off Askia - it took her a long time with all the jungle near Jenne. I just sat waiting for like 10 turns. Once the world knew of her sins I attacked, took Djenne and Gao, resurrected Askia on the coast (I needed those Truffles for WLTK though!), and just took Tombouctu. I could easily push on to Carthage, she has been offering lots of cities for peace, not really sure what to do next.

GPT is through the roof, I am at 134 gpt in a GAge for WF, and have another 117 gpt out in revolving loans from Egypt and Theo. I expo'd the river salt, and was very surprised to build Machu so easily so late. Added Choral Music and Messiah for Enhancer, then Charitable Missions for Reformation, so own any CS I choose with no Patronage. Opened Commerce to faith GE Big Ben next turn - will buy several Factories as my only coal was under jungle, so took those 13 turns to get Chemistry for Cannons and production. Will be very late to Pub Schools.

Everybody liked me a lot after I recalled Askia, but I just proposed WR and so the other continent has cooled. Keeping Egypt alive has really sucked their culture out as he has all the wonders. I am tempted to just start building a huge navy after WF, and save Egypt for last. So many ways to go here, this has felt like a very leisurely game with many options.
Spoiler :

Top Bottom